Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Rare Car Drive it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it and enjoy it. I have a 2002 35th LE convertible and have almost 29K miles on it and put it in the garage for 6 months of the year. It isn't a daily driver, but I sure do enjoy it in the summer. Mine happens to be the only one delivered new outside the US or Canada. It was actually delivered to me in Germany and has never been in the US. It has been in Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, and the UK. I also have over 200 trips down the dragstrip in it and plan to take it to Nurburgring this summer. So far, I've only had to replace the front brake discs and pads and the clutch. It is a lot of fun on the autobahn, especially when some of the European cars want to play. I'd say I have easily had over 2,000 pictures taken of it, to include having people run out in the street in front of me so I'd have to stop so they could get a picture. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't make sense having such a cool car if you aren't going to enjoy it.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe the question should be...race it or not...
Old 03-12-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Drive it
Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dd my bpm z28 . i would like to retire it from dd but i would still weekend drive it and u better bet it will be flogged till the day i die
Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
Maybe the question should be...race it or not...
Sure entered it in Hot Rod's Drag Week
Old 03-28-2006, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

While I don't consider myself a rich guy by any means, I've always owned another car to use for daily duty. In fact, until I got married, my daily car was always another V8 powered f-body. But I do not use my SS or my Firehawk as daily drivers. In fact, with work and the family, they rarely get driven at all. BUT!!! When they come out of the garage, all sparkly and clean, they get driven like they are supposed to be. HARD. Autocross, drag raced, open road course, and some of the best mountain roads anywhere (North Georgia). About the only way they don't get used is as a regular car. They are toys and I really only take them out when I want to play. Sometimes a month or more can go by before that happens, but I always enjoy my time in the cars. I'm never just off in space driving someplace while I'm in them. I'm enjoying my time there. And I want to continue to enjoy my time driving them for a long time to come... so I don't use them for mundane transportation needs.

I get a lot of crap for that, but I have some mods (and will have many many more if I ever get some more money), and I drive them hard. I'd rather keep my car in pristine shape by using is sparingly, than have to restore the thing in 20 years because I drove it into the ground. I can handle the thought of me totaling it on the track or on some back road driving the hell out it, but it makes me cringe to think of it getting a door ding sitting in the parking lot at Walmart or getting rearended by some ***** on his cell phone not paying attention on his way home from work. And inspite of my desire to keep it totally spotless (hence not driving it on rainy days), I do not enjoy spending my limited time washing it and waxing it. I enjoy driving the car... but I probably don't drive it enough for most people to think its not a waste for me to own it. Maybe a couple of 1000 miles a year between two cars.

Personally, I think its funny when somebody in a daily driven "performance" car will make a comment about my cars being garage queens, but then won't even consider racing their own car. Its even funnier when they have made performance upgrades but won't get near a track. They say they don't want to beat on it or ruin it... that's what commuting in it is to me. But everyone has their own opinion.

I say drive it, race it, enjoy it... but do it however you want to... its your car.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just bought this 99 30th anni. it is all original with 19500 miles ,i plan on driving it on vacation to utah this summer , iwill also drive it weekends,probably 3000 to 4000 miles a year.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cliff Notes: DRIVE IT.

There ain't NO production car that's EVER been made that should be parked.

Mind you, HERE we're mostly talking about F-body cars that cost LESS than 40k.

It is possible to TAKE CARE of a car AND drive it!!

I used to work for a guy that has a 1934 Ford, custom built from the ground up - he's got over 130k in the car, appraised at $150. I worked for the guy 2 1/2 years and saw the car maybe 6 times. What a joke! DRIVE IT.

Rolls, Bentley, Jag, Aston Martin, Porsche - who cares? It's a hunk of metal, plastic, and some other stuff. DRIVE IT.

"But I paid $250k for it! I don't want some moron to hit it!" WTF?? Did you buy it to impress your neighbor? If you want something to "stay one up on the Joneses" get a Picasso!

"It's never seen rain" - WAX it.....then DRIVE IT.

Snow I can ALMOST understand - I'm from up north and the chemicals will tear your car UP. But then again, these cars aren't the best for snow anyway. WASH it. Yes, you can wash your car in the winter. I worked for a cable tv company up north for three years and I had to wash my truck like every day. You can shove the nozzel up under the thing and rinse the bottom off. Then DRIVE IT!!!!!!!!

Nobody take offense to this, please....just my opinion....
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

My 01 WS6 is pretty much my weekend warrior. It has 19k miles on it. The main reason it isn't my daily driver is because of the sky rocketing gas prices. I wouldn't mind putting some serious miles on it. Afterall, when it wears out, I'll just rebuild the motor to a 383 and make it meaner than it was.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kc10a
Drive it and enjoy it. I have a 2002 35th LE convertible and have almost 29K miles on it and put it in the garage for 6 months of the year. It isn't a daily driver, but I sure do enjoy it in the summer. Mine happens to be the only one delivered new outside the US or Canada. It was actually delivered to me in Germany and has never been in the US. It has been in Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, and the UK. I also have over 200 trips down the dragstrip in it and plan to take it to Nurburgring this summer. So far, I've only had to replace the front brake discs and pads and the clutch. It is a lot of fun on the autobahn, especially when some of the European cars want to play. I'd say I have easily had over 2,000 pictures taken of it, to include having people run out in the street in front of me so I'd have to stop so they could get a picture. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't make sense having such a cool car if you aren't going to enjoy it.
Just wondering if your car has a Canadian speedo instead of a US one because of the European delivery. Also, how did you do against those German cars?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

My CETA is my daily driver....

I didnt buy it to leave it parked in the driveway.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T-hawk
Personally, I think its funny when somebody in a daily driven "performance" car will make a comment about my cars being garage queens, but then won't even consider racing their own car. Its even funnier when they have made performance upgrades but won't get near a track. They say they don't want to beat on it or ruin it... that's what commuting in it is to me. But everyone has their own opinion.

I say drive it, race it, enjoy it... but do it however you want to... its your car.
Well said T-hawk, and I agree 100%. Its your car - enjoy it however you wish!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Define a rare fourth generation car.............
Good thought provoking question

I have an Intimidator SS hardtop one of 30 signed cars,turned five years old this week.
Delivered to DE Chevy from GMMG with 30 mi(r&d) car is still in the wrapper has seen five miles since.The first few years were VERY difficult resisting the temptation-so much so I bought an 02 1LE SS and put chambered on just to satisfy the need(that one had a wheel or two turned in anger) I think in time it will prove to be one of the most collectable 4th gens because of the Legacy of the man,who was arguably the most successful driver(certainly the most famous dealer)Chevrolet ever will have.

When and if the fourth gens ever recover from their soft collector position there will come a time in the future when speculators will start scratching to find unmolested original "rare" (which does not always mean desireable)documented cars,and best believe the one's with the lowest mileage will command the most interest.

Till that time I consider myself fortunate to just own such a neat car,and am totally satisfied now(after my twelve step recovery) just pulling it out every season or so and sitting in my lawn chair and staring at it in awe.Sounds crazy? perhaps..but the guy I sell it to down the line will be very grateful the previous owner had the discipline to resist the urge to make it just like every other one of those thirty signed cars that have more miles than mine-can't put the round back in the chamber.I have a few muscle cars and enjoy them in a dynamic capacity,this is my one static automotive investment.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned

I know this is an old thread, but... I tore apart my numbers-matching '69 Z/28.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:25 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say drive it...Don't beat the snot out of it but definately drive it...

Its like marrying a supermodel and never ...you know,uhhh driving her..

It would be plain WRONG.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Totally agree with ya man, don't know what you get out of a car if you let it sit the whole time.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm new to the board But I have one of the first (2ND to be exact) 2001 ws6 sunset orange cars off the line it is a GM pilot car. It had 7,000 miles when I bought the car I put 16,000 miles on it before I parked it and looked for a high mileage car I could daily drive so I could keep the miles off the pilot car.
Not sure if it will be worth more but figured I would aleast try to keep the miles off and only drive a tank of fuel or so out off it a year.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I too have to agree with some of the "minority opinion" folks here. I have two Camaros as noted in my signature.

My Phase 2 ZL1 has only 1,950 miles on her. She gets driven some, but sits most of the time in her new stable, all covered up. Sometimes my finance and I go out and uncover her and just stare at her. Weird? Probably. But we get our enjoyment out of it. She goes to several car shows (on a trailer), but again, that is what we enjoy. Like someone else said, if that is what you enjoy, it really isn't anyone else's business. Will it be worth something more that what I paid for it someday? Maybe yes, maybe no. I really don't care. Again, I am enjoying owning the car and using it the way I am using it.

The other car gets driven "some". It now has 14,500 miles on it. Again, it spends most of its time in its new stable all covered up.

Here are some pics of the new stable:

Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

JD very sharp looking stable that is what my wife and I have planned in the next few years get some property build the next new house and a good size shop to hold the 5 cars we have (as well as the next Camaro the 24ft car hauler and a lift

I say enjoy what you have drive it or park it you spent the $$$ not us

Sean
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01pewter2001z28

I say enjoy what you have drive it or park it you spent the $$$ not us

Sean
Can't argue with that.

Quick Reply: Rare Car Drive it or not?