Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Auburn Differential Option

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auburn Differential Option

Ok, so my firehawk came with all the options except the bilstein suspension and auburn differential..

I know the bilstein suspension lowers the car and helps with handling, but what does the differential do?

I pretty much want to know the difference in preformance and etc. there is between my hawk and a hawk with the auburn.

Thanks,
Ry
Old 06-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The Auburn is supposed to be a "premium high torque performance differential". I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I know of some owners (who probably drag race their cars) have. It was a pretty expensive option (at $799 Canadian in 1999). In 1999, 30% of Firehawks were ordered with the Auburn rear.

According to the SLP press release, the Auburn "enhances traction and helps reduce differential operating temperatures under certain driving conditions. System detects variance in the gripping force of each rear tire and redistributes the engine load as road conditions change, thereby enhancing vehicle performance and stability."

I do know that the Auburn cannot use synthetic oil, and is very sensitive to the correct amount of GM additive. Without the proper oil (and additive), it is very noisy. I have regularly maintained mine (in 60K kms, it has had at least 3 fluid changes), and am quite happy with it.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hawkfiend
The Auburn is supposed to be a "premium high torque performance differential". I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I know of some owners (who probably drag race their cars) have. It was a pretty expensive option (at $799 Canadian in 1999). In 1999, 30% of Firehawks were ordered with the Auburn rear.

According to the SLP press release, the Auburn "enhances traction and helps reduce differential operating temperatures under certain driving conditions. System detects variance in the gripping force of each rear tire and redistributes the engine load as road conditions change, thereby enhancing vehicle performance and stability."

I do know that the Auburn cannot use synthetic oil, and is very sensitive to the correct amount of GM additive. Without the proper oil (and additive), it is very noisy. I have regularly maintained mine (in 60K kms, it has had at least 3 fluid changes), and am quite happy with it.
Hmm. So if two hawks, with same skill level drivers, same year etc. one with the auburn, one without raced.. the one with the auburn would win?

I guess I don't know how important this differential is.. It was about 800 bucks as an option, but would it help another stock hawk kick my *** in a race? lol.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

it seems like a pain to maintain.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THere would be no diff in speed...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

The auburn is a friction style diff were as the stock torsen is a gear style diff.

From what I have read it would appear that for handling the torsen would be better. Its also cheaper to maintain since it does not require a posi additive. Plus since there are no friction materials to wear out it should be as good at 100k miles as it is new.

The difference is in how they apply/split the torque between the rear wheels. I can't think of any advantage one would have over the other in a straight line. Both are weak and can break if used for drag racing.

FWIW I am one of the guys who broke their auburn drag racing (doh!)
Old 06-15-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you said if you put to much additive the autburn will be noisy... what kind of noise would it make...? just curiuose... i have one... i want a torsen tho... much stronger...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

If you don't put in any (or the incorrect amount) of the GM additive, the Auburn makes a loud clunking/banging noise, particularly when you are turning corners. This will also happen if synthetic lube is used, which you are specifically told NOT to do in the supplemental owners manual for the Firehawk. I don't know if I would have spent the $800-$900 on the Auburn if I had spec'd the car, but I have not had any trouble with mine.

When I bought the car, the GM dealer put synthetic lube in the rear, which immediately caused the noise. I went back, supplemental owners manual in hand, and told them to change it to regular oil. Their first response? I was wrong, and then they said I "had put aftermarket parts on my car, and thereby voided any warranty". After some more arguing (and a lot of patience on my part), they changed the oil, and its been fine ever since.

Trying to explain to some dummy at the service counter what an SLP car is, is an exercise requiring huge amounts of patience.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Here we go...the Bilstein shock pkg. does not lower the car. It does handle better though than the stock shock pkg. and is less painful than the 1LE suspension pkg.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grb
Here we go...the Bilstein shock pkg. does not lower the car. It does handle better though than the stock shock pkg. and is less painful than the 1LE suspension pkg.
I have the Bilstein shock pkg on my 2002 Firehawk and I have to say it does lower the car about 1.4" or so, although GM did indicated the the car was not lowered, yea right!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Well then, you obviously got the very rare Bilstein spring pkg. too!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I had the stock Firehawk suspension on my car, and then replaced it with the Bilstein/Eibach package. The car sat approximately 3/4 inch lower. I measured the wheel gap before and after.

Two of my friends also own Firehawks with the Bilstein package, and when you park them next to another friend's car (a stock 1997 WS6 with the stock deCarbon suspension) it is clear which car has Bilstein, and which doesnt.

Just to be 100% clear: I'm talking about the Bilstein/Eibach PACKAGE, which includes 4 Eibach springs.

Obviously, a set of shocks (regardless of manufacturer) aren't going to affect a cars ride height. A different set of springs, however, definitely will.

Last edited by hawkfiend; 06-19-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:58 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Well please do excuse me. I was not aware of the even more rare Bilstein/Eiback package. Maybe SLP forgot to put that option on everybody's order form.....kind of like the even more rare Bilstein/Eibach/Lingenfelter cam pkg. All my cars have that option!
Two of my buddies got the NO SPRINGS option and they sit really low!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive broken alot of Eatons but not an auburn. Well, yet. LOL
Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My auburn rear makes noise when turning 90 degree turns, I do need to change the fluid too has I suspect the orig owner never did, BTW-I would love to see some pics of this supplemental owners manual, I don't think I have one for my 1999

Read up on auburn:
http://www.auburngear.com/
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

My Auburn has the super rare Eibach spring option in it. And yes my rear end sits about 1/2" lower than stock!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by grb
My Auburn has the super rare Eibach spring option in it. And yes my rear end sits about 1/2" lower than stock!
that was pretty good.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have both the AAA diff and Bilstein/Eibach Level I suspension system from SLP.
Replaced the rear suspension due to my particular weight issue (stereo gear), but I have run over 60+ passes at the track, and NO rear diff problems thus far. And, it's an M6 not an automatic

Maintenance is a MUST IMHO, if you want to avoid trouble.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Exploded my auburn on Saturday.. Time for a 12 bolt....
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR
Exploded my auburn on Saturday.. Time for a 12 bolt....
Can you give some details, what mods do you have, mileage, did the diff see regular fluid changes, what diff fluid was used when it was changed, was the car taken to track several time?

Quick Reply: Auburn Differential Option