Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

SLP G8 Firehawk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, I'm suprised they would even consider such a thing, but I guess they think somebody will buy it, and I'm sure someone probably will.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

needs a differ. name but a good idea. SLP needs something to get back in the performance Image.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Being a Firehawk owner myself, I must say that this news comes as both a shock and dissapointment. The Firehawk nameplate made sense with the Firebird model. It originated there - and it died there. Now, it's being slapped on a generic G-code car in hopes to ride out the fame that was developed back when it was exclusive to the F-Body platform. I'll end this rant quick - they should really consider a new name. I love the fact that they are offering a different choice on the G8, but that doesn't mean it should "sell out" the Firehawk name that went so well with the Firebird.

Looks like I'll have to change my title soon...

Last edited by epic; 09-21-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not to mention the response we all had from Mr Hamburger was quite disrespectful in a way.....
The reaction was overwhelming with the exception of a few snide remarks from past F-Body Firehawk owners who obviously think we should have let the name die.

*Please note the circled "R" next to the Firehawk logo - The Firehawk logo/script is a registered Trademark of SLP.
Thats almost like..."shut up, we own the name...dont care what any of you have to say"....geee, thanks...you know. These guys opinions now are nothing but these same guys meant the world to you a few years back, remember? They made the Firehawk name what is today. If none of them would have backed up your product I wonder where the Firehawk name would be now....

Hate to say this but Ford would have never approved something like this...they respect their followers...remember what happened when Ford tried to make the Mustang front wheel drive??
Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reaction was overwhelming with the exception of a few snide remarks from past F-Body Firehawk owners who obviously think we should have let the name die.
A few past and CURRENT F-Body Firehawk (how MESSED UP is that to have to say!) owners that helped....no, built your business to start with. And now we are referred to by you like we are nothing... well screw you and screw SLP if thats the kind of respect we get from you now. Its not that we wanted the name to die, we just wanted it to be used on a car that carries on the traditions of its name sake (not a four door sedan!) But I guess tradition is something thats not worth as much to a company thats about to go under as the one name plate they own thats actually worth whoring out now. Well I hope this cluster-fk is as "successful" as the SLP Ranger Thunderbolt was.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 09-22-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't seem like a smart move.I like the idea of SLP doing something with the G8,but doesn't seem right to call it a Firehawk,registered or not.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical SLP....just another reason why most people stay away from them.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I don't know what arrangement SLP has with Firestone, but the Firehawk name came from Firestone in 1985. SLP didn't form until 1987...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...mZ140136105710

I'm sure thousands of enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting SLP's announcement of other Firehawk offerings, such as the Firehawk G3:

Credit to Matt for the photoshop.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g8-2008-09-chevrolet-ss-2014/987775-g8-coupe.html

here is your 2011 "Trans Am".....

Same thing GM did when they brought back the "GTO". The platform was nice, car made great power and looked pretty cool; they just should have NEVER put the GTO name on it, it wasn't a GTO, it was more of a Grandprix "SS" or something. That was the other reason that damn thing never sold well; other then the safty "re-design".

20XX G8 Coupe "Firehawk" = 5th Gen Trans Am...

IMO, they realllllly need to be careful what name they put on cars. Certain name's carry some signaficant meangins: Trans AM, Camaro, SS, GTO, Firehawk, Charger, ect. The Charger whould never have been 4-door car IMO either. You can't just throw a name/badge on a car and expect it to be an instant hit.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

while your at it, i would like a sunfirehawk, o and can i get 20lb of boost
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to mention Firehawk = bird. Firebird Trans Am, Firebird = Firehawk, both BIRDS.

kind of like what Chevy did with the Cobalt SS (NON supercharged version). SS = Super Sport which = highest performing line of a model. What they should do with the Camaro is make the Z28 N/A one and the SS the super charged one (if they make a S/C model).

Why not a "G8 Dominator" or something else aggressive and ORIGIONAL??

I would buy a 20xx SLP G8 Dominator.

Bottom line is GM is getting desperate to sell cars and make money. They think that is the resurect badges and names that we hits back in the day and slap them onto current non-related models, they will be instant hits. Again; look at how well the "GTO" did...

Not to mention SLP basically turned their back on the cars that really made them... FBodies!

Last edited by Nightrydass; 09-22-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

http://www.fquick.com/blog/SLP_annou...wk_models/2254

Fock this.

I hope they put all this R&D into these cars and sell as many as they did 1st gen firehawks, and the company falls on it's face. If this goes through I will not be purchasing any SLP parts and I will find another cat-back for my car. There are other companies out there that don't **** me off. He had to know this was going to be the opinion of the f-body community, and I find it extremely questionable that he still went through with it.

Edit:
I just realized how this is going to f*ck up my e-bay search after this car comes out. Firehawk will return G8 parts. Motherf*cker.

Last edited by 99Hawk6spd; 09-22-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs down

^^^ exaclty! When was the last time SLP came out with anything new SPECIFICALLY for the 4th Gen Fbodies (other then the Powerflo exhaust)? In fact they discontinued parts... WTF?! There are **** loads of parts they don't sell anymore; CME exhaust tips (other then clearance), LCA's, KONI shocks and spring kits, SLP D/Dl muffler; i could go on forever. I understand the need to expand and support other platforms, but why the **** would you discontinue parts for current popular platforms? take their TRQ Arm; $425???!!! UMI has the same damn thing for 1/2 the price. Even if they don't keep the parts in stock, they should still sell them even if it takes 2 weeks to get them. They're are A LOT of parts i would buy from them if they still sold them.

I just feel like they forgot about us.

/rant

*i'm sorry, this wasn't supposed to be a bash on SLP, it just ended up that way....*
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I've expressed my displeasure on this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7#post10150077

Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I swear to god if there is a v6 firehawk...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

GM likes to devalue badges. Hence why Pontiac has gone through GT, GTP, GTP CompG, and is now busy trashing GXP with gay **** like the Torrent GXP .

Looks like the Firehawk badge is the next to get fucked over. Way to totally mail it in on exterior design SL. 'Durr lets throw a black hood and Firehawk badges on it, hurrr hurrr."

WS6 owners might want to head on out to get some lube since I'm sure your time will come.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
I swear to god if there is a v6 firehawk...
Maybe you missed the article above, there will be.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Sorry, but there is no more F-body. GM will not build a Firebird or a Trans Am for us to use the name on.

Regards,

David Hamburger
I would have rather seen the 2010 Camaro with "Firehawk" on it before a 4-door G8. You could have developed Firebird looking nose pieces, hoods, wheels, etc... to convert the Camaro to something resembling a Firebird. THAT would have had a HUGE positive response from your Pontiac and Firebird fans.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

now im glad i have a ws6 not a firehawk,but as stated im sure that will get "thrown up" somewhereon something...... bad idea from a guy who was obsessed for years with the firebird firehawk legacy....and now it is absolutely being cheezed out. sorry dave very bad decision on this, and im the 33 year old buyer who will be considering a g8 in the next couple of years for the family trukster......doesnt matter anyway i havent and wont buy any slp stuff in the past few years or moving forward....u can get better stuff cheaper.....
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I would have rather seen the 2010 Camaro with "Firehawk" on it before a 4-door G8. You could have developed Firebird looking nose pieces, hoods, wheels, etc... to convert the Camaro to something resembling a Firebird. THAT would have had a HUGE positive response from your Pontiac and Firebird fans.
Dave is in the other thread dude.

Quick Reply: SLP G8 Firehawk?