Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

SLP G8 Firehawk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLP failed the drug test this is a firehawk.....

http://www.fquick.com/videos/1992_Firehawk_/138
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Default Fire what? or fire whom......

I bought my firehawk about 3 years after my SS Camaro was totaled in 2005 by a drunk driver. I love this car more than I do some other humans around me, until I received a text message today, have you seen the new FIREHAWK????

I get home do a search and what do I see. I just sat there in shock and awe. I keep waiting for someone to jump out of the closet and kick me in the nutz and tell me to wake up!!!
A Firehawk being different than others around it, is easy. There weren't many made in any year it was available, the SS Camaros, had anywhere from 20k to 40k each year it was available. You drive around town, or show up at car shows, people ask what is it? Never seen one before. Now if these G8's do sell there will be just another market flooded with a once RARE name plate.
If you own a hawk you know what the difference is from other WS6's and TA's and an unfortunate higher price tag. Other than a pricey hood and wheels or maybe a spoiler and some suspension, we now get to forcefully share our nameplate with a 4 door/g8.
I now regretfully have a reason to sell my hawk or trade it in on a vette.......... truly a crappy day
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm warming up, it will just take me some time... i went from angry to annoyed about the name. i guess in the end since i swapped out the huge ram air airbox, the stock curb damaged Speedline wheels for black SSR rims and the classic stand alone TOTL exhaust for an STS turbo, all that was left to the name is BLACK HAWK, FIRE CHICKEN, the hawk, and my favorite " THE WIFE". i'm a diehard FIREHAWK owner / lover and my love will never die. it will just take some getting used to having the red headed step child in my rear-view mirror as i pull away and all they will hear is the spooling screeches of the true bird of pray... i could go on and on, but it's to exhausting to loose sleep over

Last edited by hawk584; 09-22-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002FirehawkNBM
Other than a pricey hood and wheels or maybe a spoiler and some suspension, we now get to forcefully share our nameplate with a 4 door/g8.
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this before.
The price issue, that is.
I don't think I can afford to buy one, & I believe I'm a middle-aged-american-muscle-car-enthusiast.

Originally Posted by 2002FirehawkNBM
I now regretfully have a reason to sell my hawk or trade it in on a vette.......... truly a crappy day
Not a bad idea, ..., I'd love to have one of them new ZR1's !!!
(Wait, I can't afford that either, ..., )
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Default Start a new Legend. Don't steal from the current one!

I just do not get how GM and SLP can take a family sedan, with 4 doors, throw a bunch of tasteless wings, scoopes, and stickers on it, and call it a "sports car." In my opinion, besides the Corvette, GM has totally lost it's edge on cutting edge design. I understand the roots of the muscle car, which was to stuff the largest engine you could into a light bodied family sedan. But what happened to progressive design? They are following a more regressive design, and philosophy. It seems as though GM has taken styling one step too far in the Retro direction if we are back to stuffing large engines into unappealing boring, family style body designs. We used to create the trends in automobiles, and now, we follow the foreign automakers with their boxes of rice designs. They used to lead in modern sports car design...it's what hooked us! We all remember the 68 and 69 design, the bold designs of the second gens, The Bandit, Knight Rider, the then the new aggressive styling of the 4th generation F-bodies. That's what drew us in. It's the kid in us wanting something eye-catching, modern and mean! Something affordable, powerful and customizeable! GM got it right with the Fourth Gens, and then took it away. Their new sport styling doesn't even catch our eyes. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I noticed a G8 on the road. It's like a 4 door BMW M3 clone. With all that Jazz on it, it is starting to look like a Subaru. Slapping a name like "Firehawk" on it just degrades the G8 more. It's looks like you are trying to steal from a Legend of a name in the Firebird, just to give us the impression that it is mean and sporty. Newsflash, not many people know what a "Firehawk" truly is, and by calling a G8 a "Firehawk" which has absolutely no correlation to the G8 name, all you are doing is pissing off the very best potential customers you may have in buying a performance Pontiac. Maybe it is desparation by SLP and Pontiac, or the greed of a few execs trying to make a quick buck by degrading and insulting the very customers that put them on the map. But please, give us an American Muscle car that we all can be proud of again! Something bold, modern, powerful and trend setting in styling. Then we'll buy it. Till then, if you can't get the styling right, find someone with better marketing skills who can think of fitting name for your G8. You have to sell your poor SLP design somehow, and the name "Firehawk" isn't enough to do that! Maybe we can help them out...
How about the SLP G8 "Gambler" Now that has a better ring to it. When you pull up next to a G8 at a red light... will that Mustang want to take the Gamble? Hell, you could even get Kenny Rodgers to sing in the commercial! Start a new legend, don't steal from the current one!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by shippershack
I just do not get how GM and SLP can take a family sedan, with 4 doors, throw a bunch of tasteless wings, scoopes, and stickers on it, and call it a "sports car." In my opinion, besides the Corvette, GM has totally lost it's edge on cutting edge design. I understand the roots of the muscle car, which was to stuff the largest engine you could into a light bodied family sedan. But what happened to progressive design? They are following a more regressive design, and philosophy. It seems as though GM has taken styling one step too far in the Retro direction if we are back to stuffing large engines into unappealing boring, family style body designs. We used to create the trends in automobiles, and now, we follow the foreign automakers with their boxes of rice designs. They used to lead in modern sports car design...it's what hooked us! We all remember the 68 and 69 design, the bold designs of the second gens, The Bandit, Knight Rider, the then the new aggressive styling of the 4th generation F-bodies. That's what drew us in. It's the kid in us wanting something eye-catching, modern and mean! Something affordable, powerful and customizeable! GM got it right with the Fourth Gens, and then took it away. Their new sport styling doesn't even catch our eyes. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I noticed a G8 on the road. It's like a 4 door BMW M3 clone. With all that Jazz on it, it is starting to look like a Subaru. Slapping a name like "Firehawk" on it just degrades the G8 more. It's looks like you are trying to steal from a Legend of a name in the Firebird, just to give us the impression that it is mean and sporty. Newsflash, not many people know what a "Firehawk" truly is, and by calling a G8 a "Firehawk" which has absolutely no correlation to the G8 name, all you are doing is pissing off the very best potential customers you may have in buying a performance Pontiac. Maybe it is desparation by SLP and Pontiac, or the greed of a few execs trying to make a quick buck by degrading and insulting the very customers that put them on the map. But please, give us an American Muscle car that we all can be proud of again! Something bold, modern, powerful and trend setting in styling. Then we'll buy it. Till then, if you can't get the styling right, find someone with better marketing skills who can think of fitting name for your G8. You have to sell your poor SLP design somehow, and the name "Firehawk" isn't enough to do that! Maybe we can help them out...
How about the SLP G8 "Gambler" Now that has a better ring to it. When you pull up next to a G8 at a red light... will that Mustang want to take the Gamble? Hell, you could even get Kenny Rodgers to sing in the commercial! Start a new legend, don't steal from the current one!
It does not matter to GM, the car is built in a Gm plant just like normal and then goes to SLP for the "upgrades" much the same way a conversion van or custom pickup truck does, either way Gm sells another unit.

Yeah, if Gm does not get the new camaro on the street soon they will miss the boat all together, IMHO. If you have'nt noticed the very same issue that killed the original muscle car is alive and well again, and high fuel cost will kill muscle cars again if they don't act quick. Imagine the new Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros all lined up for $5/gal fuel, it wont be long, trust me, this oil thing is HUGE business and they rule the country, IMHO.
An this "new release' is just a way for SLP to get the max bang out of their buck, since they had to buy and own the copyrights to the term "Firehawk" and yes, IMHO, it does cast a bad shadow on our cars, sorry to say.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

thats about the dumbest thing i think ive ever seen.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Stupid....

the Hamburger clan 'aught to hang their heads in SHAME the day the first G8 "crappyhawk" is shipped.

I wanted another Firehawk... and now.... I don't.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

So very wrong...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

This would be like Ford making a STV "Cobra" Taurus LOL
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 215 Likes on 95 Posts

It's almost as bad as trying to pass an Australian made tank as a "GTO".
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

call it the chickenhawk
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

thank you! i hate the idea as well and my friend was wondering what the big deal was. hes a camaro guy though
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMHawk27
call it the chickenhawk
Failhawk is more appropriate.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
Failhawk is more appropriate.
BS Hawk or G Turd ...maybe
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Wow what a truely depressing day.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsixed
Wow what a truely depressing day.

WSsixed, what color is the car in your AV?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

A few comments and questions on a more serious level...

I understood that SLP didn't actually own the Firehawk trademark, but rather licensed it from Firestone, named after the widely-popular and accoladed Firehawk series of tires (the Firehawk cars coming with Firestone Firehawk SZ50 and later SZ50-EP tires standard instead of Goodyear).

Sadly these tires were end-of-life'd (with exception of the run-flats for the Corvette), and I now have a set of Firehawk Wide-Ovals on my car... Which are pretty good but I feel the performance is sub-par compared with the original tires.

The tires are no longer available, so the original name-sake of the Firehawk-as-a-car-brand won't be coming on the new line of Firehawks? Or is Firestone introducing a new series of Firehawk tires? This would lend a credible tie-in with the "history" of the car...

How much power is going to come out of these new supercharged-as-an-option Firehawks? Will they be capable of going faster than 11.5 on the track and/or SLP going to provide rollbar/cage options?

I understand the resentment of current owners (and do feel a pang of pain myself). In our eyes you ditched GM and hopped on the Ford brandwagon, and apparently will now support both manufacturers - at least the new Firehawk isn't a Ford! But I'm sure this dilutes much of the excitement.

While I doubt I'll purchase one of the new-model Firehawks in the future, I do sincerely wish you the best of luck and profit with the launch of the new line.

Cheers
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st off the GTO comment is stupid,the GTO or whatever u wanna call it BLOWS a 4th GEN F-Car rattle box out of the water as far as build quality...

Looks wise I would agree the 4th GEN is schweet and I've owned many F-Cars so I cant talk...

2nd,the SUPERDUTY LOGO IS A PONTIAC LOGO USED SINCE THE 1950's

Nuff said,I say lets just wait and see
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM

SLP doesn't give a crap. They took a Grand Prix GTP and stuck a GTX name plate on it. I know the guys who own and/or love the Plymouth GTX's have almost the same sentiment as most of you folks. What trademark will SLP sneak off with next?

Quick Reply: SLP G8 Firehawk?