FS: PowerStop Zinc Plated Blank Rotors and Brake Pads!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default any more smooth rotors left?

Adam I read the thread on the rotors and pads looks like what I need just the OEM replacement since the slotted wear the pads much quicker right?

?are these power stop rotor the same as the power stop rotors sold at Summit racing parts?

? I'm assumming they are not first quaility? ? is this why some of the hats are not smooth? or are there more defects?

?when the coating comes off the disc. will the rust as usalle?

? is there a warrenty if so how long?

?are these rotors and pads made in China?

sorry to be so though just CYA for me.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you happen to also carry rotors for an 05 gto? Had set of these rotors on my z28 and loved them can't beat the price. Now its time for some new rotors pads for the goat.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
Adam I read the thread on the rotors and pads looks like what I need just the OEM replacement since the slotted wear the pads much quicker right?
Hello,

The slotted rotors will wear your pads about 20% quicker than blanks. Whether you consider that much quicker or not is up to the individual I suppose.

?are these power stop rotor the same as the power stop rotors sold at Summit racing parts?
The rotors offered for sale are genuine powerstop rotors. The rotors in this thread are simply blanks that have been zinc coated only, ie. no machining.

? I'm assumming they are not first quaility? ? is this why some of the hats are not smooth? or are there more defects?
These are first quality rotors. The differences in smooth vs. rough hats is due purely to a specific batch of castings and is purely asthetic. Anyone who has received a mismatched set of hats has been sent a matching rotor of their choice (usually smooth because it looks better). Any "defects" are not acceptable and if anyone receives a defective part it can be returned or exchanged within 120 days.

?when the coating comes off the disc. will the rust as usalle?
The zinc coating on the surface of the rotor ie. the friction zone, will wear off shortly after installation. Yes, if the car sits for a period of time, the bare iron will rust over. There is no known way to prevent rust on the friction area of any iron rotor. The hat, hub, and vanes should retain their luster for quite a while, especially in dry climates. Those in northern climates will experience a shorter life on their zinc coating but how long for certain is unique to the individual, and what conditions the car is subjected to.

? is there a warrenty if so how long?
Our warranty is 120 days for workmanship or defects including rotor warping. The rotors are gauranteed for three years against cracking when used with powerstop pads, and one year if used with any other pads.

?are these rotors and pads made in China?
The rotor castings come from either Brazil or China. The foundries are ISO9000 certified and the metallurgy conforms to G3000 iron specifications. There are no more US foundries or US manufacturing for aftermarket rotors, e.g. Raybestos, Wagner, etc. We use the same foundries as Brembo. The rotors are machined to OE dimensions for easy bolt-on installation. Power Stop machines the rotors in Chicago.

The Z16 Ceramic and PM18 Semi-Metallic pads are made in China to Powerstop specifications and are pre-burnished to prevent glazing during the break-in process.

The Z26 line of High-Performance Semi-Metallic pads are made in the USA at an Ohio plant and offer the highest resistance to brake fade and glazing of any Powerstop pad.

sorry to be so though just CYA for me.
No problem, hope that helps!

Thanks
Thank you for your interest!

-Adam
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JonB
Do you happen to also carry rotors for an 05 gto? Had set of these rotors on my z28 and loved them can't beat the price. Now its time for some new rotors pads for the goat.
I'm sorry but we do not currently stock '05 GTO rotors, only '04.

Thank You,
Adam
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my rotors and pads for my 02 Trans Am. They are great. Did the break in procedure on them and the work awesome. Great product and fast delivery. Thanks Adam.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TransAm2002
Got my rotors and pads for my 02 Trans Am. They are great. Did the break in procedure on them and the work awesome. Great product and fast delivery. Thanks Adam.
Glad you're enjoying them

Thank You!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the rotors on this weekend and with some HPS pads. Broke em in and everything is working great!!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chon79
Got the rotors on this weekend and with some HPS pads. Broke em in and everything is working great!!

Just an FYI to those contemplating ordering, we're down to our last few sets of these plated blanks. Please see the first post for the remaining quantities.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installed them this past weekend:

Is some noise normal until they are broken in? (figured the caliper piston may have not been pushed all the way in) Sounds like I have some contact on my drivers side front while just driving normally. Any suggestions? Or should I simply drive them a while longer (been ~60 miles so far) and see what happens? Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

PM sent for a quote...what is the best combo for the best braking power?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default ? on brake install

can one wheel be done at a time?

meaning can I install one rotor and pads then crusie around?

if so will I I still have to do the break in procedure just for one? this dude told me just to drive regular did'nt need to breakin?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

if so will I I still have to do the break in procedure just for one? this dude told me just to drive regular did'nt need to breakin?

Thanks
I wouldnt do that! Why not do both??

Break in procedure is to be sure everything will sit up nicely and you dont damage the rotor, but its not something that happens often!..never heard anyone damaging brakes this way...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Installed them this past weekend:
Is some noise normal until they are broken in? (figured the caliper piston may have not been pushed all the way in) Sounds like I have some contact on my drivers side front while just driving normally. Any suggestions? Or should I simply drive them a while longer (been ~60 miles so far) and see what happens? Thanks
There really shouldn't be any noise after break-in. The most common cause of low speed noise after a break job is corroded/worn abutment clips (aka anti rattle clips). If you haven't already, pop those clips out and spray them good with parts cleaner and lube them with silicone lube or anti-seize, apply lubricant to the ends of the pads where they ride in the rails, and to the back of the pad shims where they contact the caliper body.

If you have performed all the above steps already or if you continue to have noise after performing the steps above, please call me and I'll try my best to remedy the situation.

Thank You,
Adam
Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks
I would not suggest doing that. The break-in procedure is crucial to the long life of your rotors. The goal is to burnish the rotors with a smooth even coat of pad resin the first time to avoid uneven deposits, which are the seeds of future warpage. Uneven deposits due to an improper break-in create high spots that generate more heat and ultimately alter the molecular structure of iron to cementite. Cementite nodules are much more dense and wear at an uneven rate. The high spots are what create juddering and give the sensation of a "warped" rotor.

So basically, do them all at once. Do the break-in right the first time, and rest easy.

-Adam
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default will do all four

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
I would not suggest doing that. The break-in procedure is crucial to the long life of your rotors. The goal is to burnish the rotors with a smooth even coat of pad resin the first time to avoid uneven deposits, which are the seeds of future warpage. Uneven deposits due to an improper break-in create high spots that generate more heat and ultimately alter the molecular structure of iron to cementite. Cementite nodules are much more dense and wear at an uneven rate. The high spots are what create juddering and give the sensation of a "warped" rotor.

So basically, do them all at once. Do the break-in right the first time, and rest easy.

-Adam
did'nt want to do all four because it's real hot outside.

?1. inbetween the caliptor and the metal part of the shoe there are shims are these to be reused sean in image figure7brake?
should these shims be super glued to metal part od shoe to keep them in place?

reason I ask is because the left rear shoe the top shim has loosened and is overlapping the bottom shim ? I beleive this is what created the clicking noise that bought attention to the rears being worn out?

?2.there's a clip I think this is the wear indicater is this to be removed to install the new pads? if so how is it removed sean in image figure9brake?

?3. is medium thread lock OK or should I use high strenght thread lock?

or is there a high temputure thread lock?

?4. I'm hopping this wrench cicrled in image brake wrenh is the 16mm?

?5. I'm planning on using a socket on the calipor frame bolts?
the guide I've been reading (install. univesity says use a wrench?

Adam I will drop off the unwanted part at Fedx this Saturday mite be able to get it off Friday.
Thanks for the helpfull surport.

Sorry to be so though never done brake swap.
Attached Thumbnails FS: PowerStop Zinc Plated Blank Rotors and Brake Pads!-figure7brake.jpg   FS: PowerStop Zinc Plated Blank Rotors and Brake Pads!-figure9brake.jpg   FS: PowerStop Zinc Plated Blank Rotors and Brake Pads!-brake-wrench.jpg   FS: PowerStop Zinc Plated Blank Rotors and Brake Pads!-calipor-frame-blots.jpg  

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-11-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

did'nt want to do all four because it's real hot outside.

?1. inbetween the caliptor and the metal part of the shoe there are shims are these to be reused sean in image figure7brake?
should these shims be super glued to metal part od shoe to keep them in place?

The shims on the old pads are not needed, your new Powerstop ceramic pads come with a rubberized shim already attached.

reason I ask is because the left rear shoe the top shim has loosened and is overlapping the bottom shim ? I beleive this is what created the clicking noise that bought attention to the rears being worn out?

?2.there's a clip I think this is the wear indicater is this to be removed to install the new pads? if so how is it removed sean in image figure9brake?

The clip you've circled is the abutment or "anti rattle" clip. Those just pop out. They should be cleaned thouroughly and lubed with a silicone based lubricant or antisieze prior to installing the new pads. If they are corroded or excessively worn, its a good idea to replace them all together, (your's look to be in pretty good shape).

?3. is medium thread lock OK or should I use high strenght thread lock?

or is there a high temputure thread lock?

When reinstalling the caliper bracket bolts I usually used red lock-tite and torque to the value given in the service manual (not sure off the top of my head what it is).

?4. I'm hopping this wrench cicrled in image brake wrenh is the 16mm?

That bolt is actually for the caliper slide. The caliper bolts are located on the kunckle and are a larger diameter bolt. You should not have to remove the slides. It's good practice to pop the slide off and clean/grease them and make sure the dust boot is clipped back around the base before reinstalling though.

?5. I'm planning on using a socket on the calipor frame bolts?
the guide I've been reading (install. univesity says use a wrench?

Either will work, I usually use a short well socket with a breaker bar attached, that or an impact gun if I can fit it in there. Just make sure the car is jacked up properly and stable as it requires a lot of force to break the caliper bolts loose.

Adam I will drop off the unwanted part at Fedx this Saturday mite be able to get it off Friday.

No rush, whenever you get a chance is cool.

Thanks for the helpfull surport.

Of course!

Sorry to be so though never done brake swap.
No worries buddy, good luck with the rest of the install.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

MjMaro,

I just realized those abutment clips look brand new, however I don't see any lube on them. If you lube them up and you're still having issues, give me a call and I'll get you a new set of pads.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Gotta get a review in for this pad and rotor combo!! I absolutely love it! My single piston LT1 brakes sucked before I installed these new parts but now they grab very nicely! They are deadly silent and they really do grab like hell! Much better feeling over the old Autozone pads and rotors I had before.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Here they are in all their glory!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 PM
FormerVendor

Hey porksoda, car is look'n clean man! Glad you're liking them, thanks for the nice review!

Last edited by Brakemotive; 06-15-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: PowerStop Zinc Plated Blank Rotors and Brake Pads!