AFR 225's Ported / Blueprinted....Details Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AFR 225's Ported / Blueprinted....Details Inside

Guys,

Its a long story but I have come to own a set of low mileage AFR P/N 1630 (225's) that I have ported and optimized, as well as checked and set every critical clearance myself. The heads functionally are in better than new condition with the exception (cosmetically) of the typical light scratches and slightly faded aluminum any used set of heads that have been handled and installed would obviously have after being run a few thousand miles.

They are ideal for a hard running 346 or 6.0 litre because they have been milled to a final chamber volume of 59 cc's and are fitted with lighter weight Ferrea intake valves to help reduce power robbing valve float....and I also set the springs a little tighter than OEM spec to also aid in perfect high RPM valve control (1.770 versus 1.800 from AFR). You dont have to have a high winding engine to take advantage of the flow they offer but its nice to know these heads would pull clean easily to 7200 with a hyd. roller set-up. I have obviously fitted them with our upgrade 8019 springs (brand new) and set and matched each installed height to optimize a .600 - .625 max lift camshaft which is all you would want or need with the explosive curve they offer. Most of my work was focused on low and mid lift gains and area under the curve while keeping port size and cross section small. This allows for a higher airspeed charge that has more inertia for better cylinder fill so essentially I'm optimizing and improving on AFR's winning formula.

These heads would also work great on a larger motor if you had the right piston to take advantage of their smaller combustion chamber. You would need a larger dish on a stroker engine to stay in range of a pump gas engine assuming a static CR of say 11.5 to 1 or so. The smaller cc chamber does limit some applications but Im sure there is an ideal situation out there to take advantage of these heads. The guides are in excellent shape and every valve job has been checked for a perfect seal.

Here are the flow numbers from these heads (I know someone is going to ask!). Pay attention to the low and midlift numbers and dont forget a milled head always flows less peak flow on the intake side but no one really talks about it. In the real world, most of the larger peak numbers are chopped off by the intake anyway so the motor doesnt even realize its missing (even a ported FAST has a hard time allowing much more than 300 CFM's to pass thru it). Thats why the area under the curve is crucial for big power....an area in the flow curve where the manifold can keep up. The 225's on my former 383 didnt have close to this good an overall flow curve (especially in the lower and midlifts) and only went a peak of 313 CFM at .580 lift (exactly where these peak as well). That engine made 540+ RWHP and ran like a champ.

Intake

(Note: With a manifold instead of a radiused inlet in place on the flow bench (real world scenario), the .600 number would not have backed up a few CFM....it would have stayed flat at the peak number).

Exhaust

Lets talk dollars and cents.....if these heads were brand new, including all my porting and handiwork, the upgraded valve springs, the mill to 59 cc's, and the lighter weight Ferrea intake valves, you would have invested over $3600 (about $3660).

Im going to let these heads go for $2600 plus actual freight/insurance costs (about $80 with a brand new dedicated AFR box). Thats less than these heads would have cost new (with the same hardware) without spending a single dollar on all the time I invested optimizing and blueprinting these heads personally which isn't cheap.

As I said earlier, the chamber volume might limit some of the potential buyers, but Im sure there are plenty of you out there that are looking for a really good set of heads at a great price and can make this work.

Here are some pictures of the heads being assembled. Note both castings were sonic cleaned and all the valves have been media blasted and refaced to the optimal shapes and look brand new. In fact two valves had some pitting in both of them that I could have refaced out but then they would have been sitting slightly lower in that chamber than the other fourteen so I replaced them with two brand new valves (one intake and one exhaust).

Note these heads will be advertised elsewhere and the first guy to get me a solid deposit via paypal will be the proud owner. There is no other fair way to do it and my guess is they will move rather quickly at this price although with the economy and the small chamber who knows. My advice is if you want them to PM me and get my attention. I can then PM yuo back paypal details etc. and of course I will post a sale pending as soon as I have a deposit.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 05-25-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are a beautiful set!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by omcar
they are a beautiful set!
Thanks.....quite a bit of time invested there!

***************LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A SALE PENDING GUYS....IF SOMETHING CHANGES I WILL LET YOU KNOW***********************

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Bump for a good guy and a set of sick heads...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent Tony a deposit Monday and a check for the remainder yesterday.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss1
i sent tony a deposit monday and a check for the remainder yesterday.:d
lucky you

Quick Reply: AFR 225's Ported / Blueprinted....Details Inside