11 pound race battery!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mini Batteries normally shouldn't be trunk mounted, since they are so small you usually have plenty of room for them under the hood.

If anyone wants to relocate the MINI Battery be advised that any Battery loses some power with a long power wire. Also MINI Batteries by nature are weaker than stock batteries and this has to be taken into account. Our battery is still the most powerful 11 pounder out there.

I am now offering a Special Deal for Trunk mounted setups. We have a slightly larger battery that has more CCA it should work well it is a little bit heavier but it is still much less than a stocker and a ton less than the optimas.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Battery arrived on Friday. Pulled out the 46lb Optima yellow top & in went the 11lb light weight battery. My battery is trunk mounted w/ good grounds & power connections to the starter & alternator. Initially, the 11lb battery struggled as it started the car & then the car wouldn't start again. Today, discussed the issue w/ Modular turbo & found that my car needs more cranking Amps because of the distance from trunk to engine bay. So, Modular turbo is sending me a FREE second battery. We expect the parallel connection of the 2 batteries to create more than enough cranking Amps to reliably start the car. Charging isn't expected to be an issue either, as the alternator has less to charge than it did with the Optima.

Modular turbo offered me the option of a single larger cell (16lb) or a second 11lb battery. I decided on the 11lb because it was available sooner & still removes 24lbs of weight from the car. Am very impressed w/ Modular turbos willingness to solve the problem & for free. When calling, I expected to be discussing a return authorization for the battery & ended up discussing a no cost plan to get the set up to work reliably.

Should also mention that first will try the replacement battery on its' own, in order to eliminate the possability of a defective first battery. Although, this isn't expected to be the case, as the first battery does charge to 14v (trickle charger) & holds the charge.

Will post the results of the parrallel battery set up.
wish i saw this post before i ordered mine.... ill keep my fingers crossed for this weekend i guess.

also, how do you mount the posts to the battery, the holes dont line up with the mounts on the battery
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cbrrmike
wish i saw this post before i ordered mine.... ill keep my fingers crossed for this weekend i guess.

also, how do you mount the posts to the battery, the holes dont line up with the mounts on the battery
You cut the bottom. I was doing it for customers before but some of the feedback suggested that the customers wanted to do it themselves.

Don't forget CBRRMIKE we pride ourselves on customer service we will make sure that it works out for you. If you have any problems at all we will get it straight. Don't worry Bro just try it, if you have troubles call me.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

I would like to add that every car is different electrically, what didn't work for him doesn't mean it won't work for you. Remember he has a LSx swapped into a Miata completely different setup.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrrmike

Don't worry cbrrmike, Rob will take excellent care of you.

Here is my follow up post:

As promised, Rob (ModularTurbo) immediately shipped a second battery. I just finished putting the set up through the paces. Performed the same real World load testing as I had done to the Optima Yellow top originally. Ran car to operating temp, then turned it off & on a half dozen times. Next, got her a little toasty so that the cooling fans kicked on & then blasted the stereo w/ sub-woofer & 300 Watt AMP. Measured the battery/alternator load & the Modular turbo set-up ran 0.3 volts higher than the Optima Yellow top did. I can only a$$ume that the Modular Turbo set-up is less of a load on the alternator, 'cuz all of the other electrical loads were the same. This test was done during an 850 RPM idle, no enhancing the alternator output w/ a high idlle. Turned the car on & off a few more times without a single issue. Car starts immediately, no hesitation, no hint of a load on the battery. Wooooooohoooooo, I'm a very happy customer.

Remember guys, Modular Turbo offered me more than one solution, I chose the 2 battery set up & Modular Turbo sent me the second battery for FREE. I believe that the 16.5# battery would have worked also. If I had known enough to ask Rob about a trunk mounted set up when ordering initially, there would never have been a starting issue. Although, it's probably better that I went through the process. Was able to learn from the experience & LS1Tech members can see first hand how well ModularTurbo takes care of their customers; far better than expected. Thanks again Rob, you Rock!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

A very small tear just fell from my eye LOL.

Thanks for the props brother.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

well i guess it dosent matter at the moment, the reason i was in a hurry was for a race this weekend at a track with a VERY strict tech inspection. i currently have a bmr tray and they nitpick that it isnt sealed. so i ordered a TAYLOR aluminum box that was supposed to fit on the tray. then ordered the modular turbo battery to fit inside the box, i knew if the battery didnt work with the car, that the battery in my civic would fit in the box and start the car.

well.........summit either sent me the wrong box, or taylor dosent know how to measure.... box dosent fit, so optimas back in and ill have to pray my way through the tech line
Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

What is the warm and cold cranking amps for the 11# and 16.5# batteries. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM
FormerVendor

the 11 pounder is 1.5% better than the Odyssey PC680 and the 26 pounder is 7% stronger
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Bump for super light racecars LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
FormerVendor

Bump for being 23lbs lighter than you were!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry if i missed it but how much for the "bigger one" for the rear mount? thanks rob

P.S. i think in a week or two ill be ready to order one of those new 1.0 ar mpt76s
Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Usually the stock batteries weigh in around 32lbs and up, depends on the brand.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from this deal, but you can purchase alternatives locally.

Just search and research the drag racing stickies..
Keep in mind that some of those cheaper solutions (IE: bike / tractor batteries)
do not take kindly to being completely discharged. In fact, in some cases they're ruined once you do.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
FormerVendor

very true
And I don't think that they will give you 1 year free replacement either
Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
very true
And I don't think that they will give you 1 year free replacement either
Oddly enough, some of those batteries do come with 1-3 year warranties.
That is, assuming they don't find out how you misused it.

Point being that the warranty is useless to you when you are stuck
at a gas station in the middle of nowhere on the way home from the track
with no way to get the car started all because you left the lights on for 5 min.

At least with this 11lbs solution, you could charge or jump start the car.
I'm seriously considering one for mine.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
FormerVendor

Give me call I'll cut you a deal
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many CCA is the 16.5# battery and how much
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

We are still deciding whether or not we want to sell the 16.5lb battery. It hasn't been holding up well in testing and we are mostly likely going to not introduce it. I will however give a killer deal to anyone that wants to purchase 2 mini batts.

155 shipped for 2 (at this price you can only get black batteries, custom colors are an additional charge)
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

I will be ordering a Mini from you sometime soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Awesome you will love it

Quick Reply: 11 pound race battery!!!!!!!!!