GMMG GP FINALLY a GO!!!!! Details inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my exhaust today at 10:15 AM. Spent the better part of the day putting it on, I think I ran into almost every problem, mainly the hangers. They didn't line up at all. So I went and got some things from Advance, and fabbed up a set. It looks good now, but man was it a pain.

No for the sound, GOOD LORD, the clips really don't do it justice just like everyone says. I'd post more but I gotta go drive.

Thanks again Ron, way to leave us all in suspence. No more GMMG GPs for me, they're too stressfull!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

And POOF! just like magic my exhaust appeared on the BBT - and without even a tracking#

I guess I'll have to take off work tomorrow to do the install

Thanks Ron

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 07-30-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Teching In

SWEETNESS!!

some POOF! occured at my house and delievered my system.
i definately expected to wait until next month checked the board everyday and patience paid off!

perfect timing too. just in time for saturday night cruising!

THANKS RON! and everyone at GMMG, Inc. for making this GP happen.

now excuse me while i get to polishing!
Old 07-29-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

I'm jealous now..
Old 07-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

I overnighted a personal check on the 15th, it cleared on the 22nd, and the system arrived today. No tracking number, no anxiety, no nonsense, great service. Thanks, Ron, for putting this together.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Excellent!!! That is what I have to say!! To anyone who is still waiting, it is well worth it.. I got mine today and took off work early to install it.. Took about 2 hours from start to finish... A few pointers on the install... Get the rear of the car up as high as you safely can.. This will help facilitate removing the old exhaust.. Note I said safely... The car has to get up pretty high for using jack stands.. Make sure you have it sitting solid!! Secondly, cut as high up towards the axle as you can.. The less you have remaining on the back end of the exhaust, the easier it will be to pull out.. Finally, make sure you test fit the I-Pipe into the chambered section before fitting it into the car.. I had to hammer the I-Pipe a tad to make it slide in easily..

Other than that, piece of cake even for an old dude using jack stands... This system sounds great.. Absolutely perfect if you ask me.. Thanks to GMMG and Ron for this great deal...
Old 07-29-2004, 07:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All GP systems are in the mail. I shipped the last of them Monday before leaving for Michigan. I didnt have time to post tracking #s but it seems as if theyre showing up steadily, so maybe you guys will finally cut me some slack. Thanx to all for making this GP a success. If you dont have your system yet, you will have it soon.

Raul, thanx for your honesty. I didnt want you to have to wait on UPS any longer and I appreciate you letting us know the second system showed up. Stand up guy

ENjoy the exhaust guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks Ron! Now how do you expect me to sleep and work tomorrow and Saturday, or whenever it gets here? Of course, I like the suspense of no tracking number so I can come home and look for a big brown box. You are pimp!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

I drove around for about two hours last night just listening to this exhaust. Trying to do something, anything to see if there is a flaw or some way that this thing can sound bad.. Well it cant be done it seems.. Every throttle range, every load, no matter what it just sounds great.. With stock Y, Cats and Manifolds it has a low idle sound but WOT is just amazing.. I have an A4 so this is perfect because I just happen to live near a police substation. I can just not get on it, and the car sounds lightly mod'ed. But when ya get on the peddle, awesome...

This is only my second mod to my car, along with SLP air lid... Both done at the same time... Yesterday while driving to my brothers house at around 5pm, so it is still pretty hot in FL, I was doing aout 25 or so and nailed the gas... The tires laid down about 20 feet of black stripes.. These cars are just great...

Thanks x Infinity!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input! I too have an A4 and all the stock manifolds, etc. and that makes me even more anxious to get it, but more relaxed to know my exhaust money was well spent.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

look what the brown dragged in today

http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/GMMG_and_MACGP_009.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/GMMG_and_MACGP_010.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/GMMG_and_MACGP_013.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/GMMG_and_MACGP_014.jpg

Now only if I could do the install at my apt complex....

oh well.. thanks Ron!!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Definitely money well spent.. When ya think about a couple metal pipes costing 600 bucks it is hard to believe.. Right up until you hear this puppy.. Then it's kinda like that one movie with that one guy, where everything comes together... And it all makes sense..
Old 07-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Just got mine on this morning

DAMN IT SOUNDS GOOD!
Low end torque is a major improvement

next purchase is Jet hot long tubes to tie up the exhaust system.

That otta make her talk a little louder
Old 07-31-2004, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Installed the system this morning.........Sounds great, I wish I would have went with this over the Corsa in the first place. Should sound even better when I install the L/T headers!! No more GP'S for me they cause more stress than then savings are worth.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Just got mine on too...

First Impressions: Start up was like woahh... what a day/night difference from stock.. it sounds great at idle !

When I got on it, there was/is some drone [ A4 here ] .. but the damn thing is LOUD and DEEP! it's like " gur gurrr gurrrrrrrr "

When I let off around 70 [ WOT run ] ... there's a lil miss as the speedometer touches 60.. like a pop.. I wonder if anyone else gets that ? I have new plugs [ NGK 55s ] and Wires [GM High Perf stockers from Pace Parts ]

Other than that... I LOVE IT !!! .. Thanks Ron

Finally, is it only me or does it get a bit louder after a few runs

I'll post a vid later...
Old 07-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

MY GMMG system came while I was out of town. It goes on the car tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Originally Posted by 2002SS#1811
No more GP'S for me they cause more stress than then savings are worth.
Funny!

Thanks for everything, Ron!
Old 07-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

The GMMG exhaust arrived late yesterday, and I installed it today on the 2000 SS. The sound is great! Nice deep tone at idle, loud, but not too loud under acceleration, and quiet enough to not be annoying at highway speed. Whenever I'm putting new parts on cars anymore, I almost expect to have to bend, tweak, grind, etc. to get things to fit. It was a pleasant surprise to find that the quality of the GMMG system was such that no modifications whatsoever, were required. This is truly a 'bolt on' and the quality is excellent. All welds on the system were neat and clean and and the fit is perfect. This is really an accomplishment on GMMG's part since there is not an abundance of space around the rear axel on fourth generation F bodies and if any of the bends are off even a slight amount, you are going to rub against something . The system was packaged well and the installation was fairly straightforward. I wanted to keep my old system in one piece without cutting it, so I dropped the passenger's side of the rear end, removed the coil spring, lower shock bolt, and other suspension parts and pulled the old system right out over the passenger's side rear disc. Even with all that extra work, the installation took under three hours. Thanks to Ron at GMMG for arranging the group purchase and providing a truly outstanding product. I really enjoy the car much more now that the sound matches the performance.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Teching In

me and my uncle installed mine today on my 95 z28
it wasn't too bad of a install considering we had to cut the stock i-pipe to make it work, etc.
the tips weren't too bad at all to line up either (standard tips)

now for the sound...
it is absolutely wicked
it sounds deep and smooth all the way up to redline (much better than the previous owner's flowmaster that was on it)
i can't wait to get my middie headers so me and my uncle can install them
that will make it sound even deeper and louder

thanks again ron for the gp
o, and for guys that don't have it installed yet, be patient
i've been waiting over a month i guess to get it installed since i didn't have a stock i-pipe
you will love it after it's done
Old 08-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Cool

I removed my OEM exhaust system without cutting it and installed the GMMG exhaust system today. I did it by myself in my garage using jackstands and no power tools - only hand tools. It took me about 9 hours from start to finish. Roughly:
  • 3 hours to "drop" the rear suspension
  • 2 hours to get the OEM exhaust system out
  • 1 hour to "undrop" the rear suspension
  • 2 hours to get the GMMG into place
  • 1 hour getting the tips to look okay
I'll post again with details, nut/bolt sizes, and hints so others shouldn't have the issues I faced.

Afterward I started the engine and it was music to my ears! After a minute of hearing the engine idle in the garage, I drove 2 miles around the neighborhood with the windows down. This is the exact sound that I wanted my Trans Am to emit. My hands were dirty and I was trying to get things wrapped up before bedtime so I only took two pictures.

Before...

After (with oval tips)...

Sorry the lighting is poor but it was after sunset by the time I completed everything. Both pictures were taken with the flash.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

--= Videos Added =--

First off, thanks for the GP Ron

Even with the stressful wait, I am extremely happy with this exhaust!!..

Anyways, the following videos are with SLP Lid as the only other mod .. The car is a 98 TA A4 with 3.23s...

Videos [ please right click and Save As ] ... enjoy!!

Start-up [cold]
http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/MOV00002.MPG

WOT run from STOP [0-50]
http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/MOV00003.MPG

Rev Video:
http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/MOV00005.MPG

Start-Up [warm] ...
http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/MOV00006.MPG

0-60ish... normal run..
http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/MOV00008.MPG

With music...
http://home.comcast.net/~mrgtx/MOV00010.MPG

I *think* its rubbing somewhere though...

Quick Reply: GMMG GP FINALLY a GO!!!!! Details inside.....