GMMG GP FINALLY a GO!!!!! Details inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

System install took exactly 2hrs./47min. beginning with putting the car on ramps up front/jack stands under the rear, removing the old Borla system w/cutout, installing GMMG, down off the ramps/stands.

Even though I was using 6 ton stands with the axle approx. 22in. from the ground, I had to drop the PS end of PR and PS of the black bar above it. GMMG is not in 2 pcs. like the Borla going over the axle and it was just shy of making it over the black bar without dropping it at that axle height.

I purchased the oval tips - came out to same ride heigth but both could have been moved about 1/2" outboard to center exactly in the bumper cutouts.

Install was actually very easy - but remember. all the hard work had already been done when I 1st installed the Borla system.

Sound with LT's & ORY is just indescribable - gone is the rasp of the Borla. For some it may be too loud w/o cats if you have a verter - but mine is mostly a show car and this is exactly the sound I was looking for!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

First I want to say that the GMMG exhaust system is extremely well-made. All of the pieces fit together perfectly, all of the angled pipes are just right, all of the pipes have lengths that are the exactly correct, and the hangers are in the correct locations. Yes it took me almost the whole day to swap exhaust systems but remember I am not a mechanic, I did it by myself, I don't have power tools, and I work slowly to help prevent mistakes/accidents. Oh yes, also I am one of the older people at LS1Tech! And as everybody has already written, the sound of the GMMG exhaust is completely awesome!

Here are the installation tips that would have saved me time had I known about them ahead of time:
  • Spray some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster into the Y-pipe to I-pipe connection. It will help the two components to separate easier.
  • Don't try to remove the exhaust system hanger from the insulator on the driver's side of the car with a pry bar. Simply unbolt bracket holding the insulator - it is two 13mm bolts - then remove the insulator after the exhaust is lowered and/or removed, then reinstall the bracket with the insulator.
  • Use a small amount of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster in the driver's side insulator. It will make it really easy to slide the new exhaust hanger into that insulator. (Probably it would make separating the OEM exhaust hanger from the driver's side insulator easier too...)
  • Chock the front wheels and put the rear of the car as high as can be done with jackstands. I like to jack one side about 3 inches and get it supported with a jackstand, then do the other side, and so on - basically alternating jacking the sides of the car and supporting it with jackstands but never having a difference in height of 3 to 6 inches between the two sides. Once the rear of the car is as high as we want it to be, make sure that both sides are at the same height. (My jackstands "rachet" and I count the number of "teeth" exposed.)
  • Remove the brace above the panhard bar. Both of these are black in color. The brace is secured with three 15mm bolts on the driver's side, one 18mm bolt on the passenger's side, and there are two 7mm screws that connect the heat shield to this brace. If the right rear spring is in the way of the bolt for this brace on the passenger's side, put a floor jack under the right rear rotor with a small block of wood between the jack and the rotor and raise it until the bolt will clear the spring and can be removed. The GMMG exhaust will not contort into position with this brace in the way unless either the car is on a lift or the rear of the car is on really, really tall jackstands.
  • You might need to lower the passenger side of the panhard bar too. This is the other black bar in the area I just wrote about. Again, support either the rear differential or the right rear rotor with a floor jack, then remove the bolt from the passenger side of the panhard bar. The bolt is also 18mm. Just let the panhard bar lower a bit and leave the driver's side of the bar alone.
  • When connecting the GMMG I-pipe and the GMMG exhaust (where the two pipes have bends), push them as close together as can be done during the final tightening of the U-bolt clamp.
  • Before tightening the 4 GMMG-supplied clamps securely, position them so that the clamps do not touch anything (which will lead to rattles) and so that the nuts are easily accessible from below. All of the nuts for the clamps are 15mm.
  • There is a good write-up on removing the OEM exhaust system without cutting it. It was written by "2xLS1" on 07-24-2003 and appears as the second post to a thread. Here is a shortcut to it: Removing stock exhaust. Luckily I found this before attempting to do anything and it really helped me.
I hope this helps!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Teching In

great writeup dave
i noticed though that i could only remove the (3) 15mm bolts from that black bar above the panhard rod on the driver side, and then push that end of the bar down to get the gmmg to fit into place
just a suggestion for people who have yet to install

also, mine is rubbing the part of the wheel well on the passenger side
basically, i'm just gonna bend it a little so it doesnt interfere
just wanted to let anyone know who's having the same rubbing but can't find out where it is
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Question

Love the sound , but mine is rubbing the heat shield protecting the fuel tank were it comes over the axel and then splits to go to the two chambers. The weld is rubbing the heat shield. I guess part of my problem is that I have the sport apperance package so I have to get the tips just a little lower to clear the ground effects in the back. I pull down on the end and it raises that area. Any help would be great. Wonder if I could just smouth out the weld and that would give me the clearence I need? Has anybody tried this?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

All the install write ups will probably help a lot when it comes time for me to do my install. Thanks guys. Oh yeah, is there anyone who still hasn't received their GMMG yet? The suspense is killing me, I know i'm going to go home today and it still won't be at my front door. With my luck UPS probably sent it to Egypt of something.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Now that the GMMG GP is over, we should be posting our praises, comments, suggestions, and questions over in the LS1TECH --> POWER DEVELOPMENT --> External Engine section...
Old 08-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MJSLude99
All the install write ups will probably help a lot when it comes time for me to do my install. Thanks guys. Oh yeah, is there anyone who still hasn't received their GMMG yet? The suspense is killing me, I know i'm going to go home today and it still won't be at my front door. With my luck UPS probably sent it to Egypt of something.
I'm still waiting for mine. I thought I was the only one who had not received their's. Hopefully it will come today.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Launching!

You guys that said you haven't received your exhaust yet should be almost there. When I look at the list on the first page, I think everyone has theirs except for the last 7? or so? I was the first on that list on the 16th so it should be here this week hopefully. Doesn't matter though, my car is on a trailer waiting to install a fuel pump so I can't drive it anyway.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I'm still waiting for mine also.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a prybar between the heat shield and the exhaust and pry the shield up just a tad. I run into this all the time installing them. Its not really the exhaust, its the heat shield is inconsistent in its positionining. That should fix your problem though.

To those who havent gotten the system yet, give it another couple days. All exhausts went out last week and will be there shorlty.

Thanx again!!!

Ron

Originally Posted by paraman45
Love the sound , but mine is rubbing the heat shield protecting the fuel tank were it comes over the axel and then splits to go to the two chambers. The weld is rubbing the heat shield. I guess part of my problem is that I have the sport apperance package so I have to get the tips just a little lower to clear the ground effects in the back. I pull down on the end and it raises that area. Any help would be great. Wonder if I could just smouth out the weld and that would give me the clearence I need? Has anybody tried this?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Talking

Thank you for your help Ron. That did the trick. Now I do not have to here a raddel every time I let off the go pedal. Thanks again. And you have a great product well worth the price.

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
Take a prybar between the heat shield and the exhaust and pry the shield up just a tad. I run into this all the time installing them. Its not really the exhaust, its the heat shield is inconsistent in its positionining. That should fix your problem though.

To those who havent gotten the system yet, give it another couple days. All exhausts went out last week and will be there shorlty.

Thanx again!!!

Ron
Old 08-03-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Take a prybar between the heat shield and the exhaust and pry the shield up just a tad. I run into this all the time installing them. Its not really the exhaust, its the heat shield is inconsistent in its positionining. That should fix your problem though
I need to do this too....
Old 08-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Ron, is it possible to get my tracking number? I am dying from suspense here and I just wondered if I could see where it was at? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-04-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LittleBef15
Ron, is it possible to get my tracking number? I am dying from suspense here and I just wondered if I could see where it was at? Thanks for any help!
Haha! That sucks you don't have it yet! Just kidding, mine just came in Monday and to top it off my standard style tips are mismatched. Hope it shows up for you soon.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Launching!

You punk! The first page shows that you got your money there the same day I did. Where do you live? Hopefully I get it tomorrow or Friday because my fuel pump comes in on Friday and I can put it all on by the end of the weekend. Watch out Hays KS
Old 08-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Mine hasn't arrived yet either. Any chance I could get a tracking number also?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

SO............when is the next GP?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by raschevy
Mine hasn't arrived yet either. Any chance I could get a tracking number also?
me too
Old 08-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Launching!

SO....when is the next GP?
Don't think there will be one, at least not as good as this one. 60 people purchased the exhaust already. I feel sorry for those 6 people who are getting corsa.....
Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

You punk! The first page shows that you got your money there the same day I did. Where do you live? Hopefully I get it tomorrow or Friday because my fuel pump comes in on Friday and I can put it all on by the end of the weekend. Watch out Hays KS
I live in New Mexico. I'm going for the whole weekend install as well!!

Quick Reply: GMMG GP FINALLY a GO!!!!! Details inside.....