AMW Catch Can GP 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, doesn't seem like any of you have seen this thing for yourselfs. If you did you could , at least IMO, appreciate all the machining that goes into it.

I bought mine when they were $80 and I don't see how they could make much profit if any at all at that price considering whats involved in actually making them. I still can't believe I payed so little.

$140 is a VERY reasonable price for the piece. I wish I could have taken pics of all the oil and water that I accumilated since my last oil change. Just unreal.

If any of you have done any kind of machining in the past and saw this piece I am sure you could easily justify the price. The catchcan is very well thought out and designed. Its aluminum for petes sake!!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and probably will, even at their new price!

Last edited by sscam68; 08-11-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm not seeing something that makes it worth the price (in my mind). Is there some kind of magic inside the can, or is it empty?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Maybe I'm not seeing something that makes it worth the price (in my mind). Is there some kind of magic inside the can, or is it empty?
Listen, I know how you feel all to well. At the time I found it hard to justify the $80 tag let alone $160 but my intake was drenched in oil so I sprung for it. I have about a year experience in machining, manual lathes and mills etc ,so when I saw it I couldn't believe I paid so little for it. I would figure they use CNC machines but either way there is a lot of work in making the catch can and like I said, the part is well thought out. There is some wire mesh on the inside and it can be replaced/serviced because its held in with a screen and a snap ring. There is also a rubber seal on the can, it doesn't just rely on the threads to seal. The cap is knurled and overall the quality is top notch IMO.

I was going to make my own here at work. I was going to use some 304L 2"-3" tubing and just weld some caps and fittings on the ends. When I priced it out, materials, labor etc it came close to $100 and it wouldn't have looked nowhere near as nice as the catch can not to mention all the hassle.

I really could care less of you buy it or not. I just hate to see people dog something they know nothing about or don't understand whats involved in manufacturing one of them.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Launching!

But a double in price? Surely they understood the cost of materials/machining when they released the previous batch for $80...? This smacks like they know they have a hit so why not milk it, see if the market will bear.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i could understand charging $20 more for one. thats still a 25% increase, but alot more reasonable then a 100% increase. i think you just priced yourself out of the market
Old 08-12-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by weestro
Surely they understood the cost of materials/machining when they released the previous batch for $80.
EXACTLY. That's what all the ranting is about. Regardless of what it takes to make one. They knew what was involved for them to manufacture the can, and proceeded to set the price at $80 dollars (profit included). Now they double the price. WTF? If they need to increase the price for whatever reason, that's understandable. 12.5% increase is ok, 25% TOPS but it better not go up again soon. 100% increase!?!

Bad business decision.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

If u don't want it then don't buy it, u don't have to b!tch about it. I know it's a free world and u can do and say what u want (pretty much) but to rag and rag on this catch can is getting REALLY old. If u think it's overpriced then e-mail the company but to b!tch on here really isn't going anywhere. $80 is cheap, $160...who knows but to tell u the truth I'm sure this isn't the first time anyone of u have paid double the price for something...why pick on this company. Another thing...why isn't there an endless thread about women? No matter what ur always paying for pu$$y.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
but to rag and rag on this catch can is getting REALLY old.
No one is ragging on the can, it's quality.
$80 is cheap, $160...who knows
Seems like the only people not complaining about this are the ones who bought it for $80.
to tell u the truth I'm sure this isn't the first time anyone of u have paid double the price for something
No cant say that I have. I will not knowingly purchase a product for twice it's retail cost. $40 bucks for a new DVD release sound good?
why pick on this company?
Most companies dont all of the sudden double the price of their only product.
why isn't there an endless thread about women? No matter what ur always paying for pu$$y.
I'm sure there are tons, just not on Tech.
If u don't want it then don't buy it
That's the problem, we do want it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get one from summit all day for $80 or less
Old 08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

LSWanna be...ur cool, u handled it better than most would have after reading what I posted

and yes I just bought one
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Restricted User

Bad business decision, IMHO. Prime opportunity for someone else to pick up the ball and run with it
First off, you guys have to realize how much CNC parts cost. It is not bad business to raise the price when you have the best product on the market. MTI doesn't even touch the greddy since the saw the AMW. That is like compairing a Volkswagen to a vette. You take price of the material, man hours, tooling and figure that 80 dollars is a profit. This can is a one time purchase. It will out last you and all of the hot rods you own. I could keep going, but the fact is that some people are just cheat and there cars are a direct reflection of their action. Instead of saving the money they short shift and of course at the end they loose.

Good luck!

-Grant

Greddy =
AMW =
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by sscam68
Listen, I know how you feel all to well. At the time I found it hard to justify the $80 tag let alone $160 but my intake was drenched in oil so I sprung for it. I have about a year experience in machining, manual lathes and mills etc ,so when I saw it I couldn't believe I paid so little for it. I would figure they use CNC machines but either way there is a lot of work in making the catch can and like I said, the part is well thought out. There is some wire mesh on the inside and it can be replaced/serviced because its held in with a screen and a snap ring. There is also a rubber seal on the can, it doesn't just rely on the threads to seal. The cap is knurled and overall the quality is top notch IMO.

I was going to make my own here at work. I was going to use some 304L 2"-3" tubing and just weld some caps and fittings on the ends. When I priced it out, materials, labor etc it came close to $100 and it wouldn't have looked nowhere near as nice as the catch can not to mention all the hassle.

I really could care less of you buy it or not. I just hate to see people dog something they know nothing about or don't understand whats involved in manufacturing one of them.

Way to go buddy! I really like what you had to say. You can't bash the part. But as all of us level headed people know, that is why forums suck. People make "professional" comments, yet they have no real idea what they are really saying. When it comes down to it, it is more than they are willing to pay. These people are the kind that port there own heads because surely they can port as well as CNC ported heads?

This a GP forum, not a ditch. If you wanna ditch, start a new post and give all the .02.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

This a GP forum, not a ditch. If you wanna ditch, start a new post and give all the .02.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Launching!

This GP wraps up in 3 days and only 2 or 3 people have ponied cash to participate which means no discount. I think that comsumer outrage over a 100% markup is appropriate no matter what the consumable and as such is rarely seen.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk131
Way to go buddy! I really like what you had to say. You can't bash the part. But as all of us level headed people know, that is why forums suck. People make "professional" comments, yet they have no real idea what they are really saying. When it comes down to it, it is more than they are willing to pay. These people are the kind that port there own heads because surely they can port as well as CNC ported heads?

So how much horsepower does this can add over all the inferior ones? I wonder if campbell's cans make more torque than kroger brand... hrmmm... now I just need a can dyno.

Guys... it's a collection can... it's empty. You could modify a urine specimen cup to do the same job. BTW, it's not just a GP forum, it's a sponsor advertising forum and this is our method of feedback to the sponsor. It seems that quite a few of us feel a 100% price hike is unjustified. However to those of you happy to knowingly pay twice the price, let me just send you a catalog of my products.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weestro
yep. Honestly I'm about this || close to bailing on this and buying the Greddy V2 which can still be had for ~$80. Ahem AMW...
I got my Greddy v2 9mm from ebay, 82bux shipped, works perfect, you can see how much oil is in it without taking it apart. Now if only JUN made LS1 cams and maybe a Do-Luck bodykit for the formula...

GET OVER IT, IT'S A FRIGGIN CAN!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) It's an empty can with two hoses
2) You can get it on ebay for under $100
3) IT'S AN EMPTY CAN WITH TWO HOSES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If AMW made profit by charging $90 then imagine how much it cost them to make one....$40 at the most !!!!

Damn People, ls1 part prices are going down. Don't give anyone satisfaction to overcharge. It's you hard-earned money !
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

to each is own. if we feel we want to pay 140-160 for the AMW can then so be it. if others feel they need to buy another type of can...that's ur choice.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, you're so right. The freedom of choice is such an amazing thing... and also how we control prices in a free market economy. I would simply like people to vote rationally, but you have the choice and are welcome to vote accordingly.

Quick Reply: AMW Catch Can GP 2