Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will I be satisfied with the basic Kee Audio replacement package? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will I be satisfied with the basic Kee Audio replacement package? (long)

Hi guys, my 2002 Camaro has recently blown both front Monsoon speakers. Shocking news I know! I am definitely going to replace them, but can't figure out which route I want to take. I do daily drive my car, but it's only 4 miles one way to work now and I don't drive it much outside of that. I mainly listen to rock/metal, and want to be able to play Disturbed cleanly at reasonable to loud volumes. I say Disturbed because it seems like they typically have a lot of upper bass and midbass that seems to be hard for speakers to play without distortion. If the system can handle Disturbed, it can handle the rest of my library! My car isn't overly loud to ride in with the SLP dual/dual and I plan on adding sound-deadening at the same time as the speaker install, so there won't be much background noise to overcome. Sound quality is a higher priority for me than SPL or loud volume, and adding a little weight is OK.

There's always something else I need to spend money on, so I'm not trying to spend a ton if I can avoid it but I'm willing to spend enough to be happy with the sound. I would probably be OK with Kee Audio's basic package especially considering how little I drive the car now, but I don't want to sell myself short either! I used to be into car audio 15-20 years ago, and had Boston Acoustics Pro Series components and Rockford subs and amps (before they went mass market). For the last 10 years I've been into home theater/audio and have a very nice system with Ascend Acoustics speakers, Yamaha receiver, and a 12" Boston Acoustics sub. I like a neutral sound quality without the tweeters being bright or anything, the SEAS tweeters in my Ascends are unreal!

Do you think I would be satisfied with the basic package to go along with an otherwise stock Monsoon system? Either route I take, I want to do it all at once. My alternative package would probably consist of a new head unit + humount (or double DIN?), component set in the doors and coaxes in the sails, nothing in the hatch except for single 12" stealth box and a 5 channel amp on a rack.

I also thought about doing the premium package now in case I decide to upgrade later, but I'm not sure I like the upgrade path. If I upgraded in stages, how would these be powered by a new head unit or amp since it would probably just be 4 channels? Would you do a 5 channel amp on the package with the 5th channel running the sails as midbass only in mono, and add a dedicated mono amp for the sub? Or replace the sail and hatch speakers with a set of coaxes in the sails and run it as a 4 channel system?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

this response from Kee Audio was already in the other thread you posted in this morning:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
how well will the standard replacement speaker package work with an otherwise all stock 98 SS monsoon system. would there be any advantage to going with the premium replacement?

I generally recommend the standard package for a stock Monsoon system with no plans on upgrades. The premium package would not benefit from the stock system as much. You'd be just fine with the standard package.
The standard package still has quality CDT components (CL-61CV) up front, the major difference is they handle a little less power and have stamped steel baskets vs. the cast frames in the other package (CL-E61CV). The drivers still uses a phase plug design to lesson higher end distortion and both use silk tweeters for crisp highs. The Bazookas are true subwoofers and will produce better bass then stock and handle more power without distortion. The materials are superior to the stock paper and foam so they also last much longer and can handle more abuse. The CL-6 in the premium package are midwoofers but can have extended range so they will hit the lower frequency bass but can also handle midrange.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks pjb, I have been searching threads for the last few days and also read that response from Ian. I guess I'm asking more for feedback from the people who have purchased the basic package to see how satisfied they are with just the replacement speakers. All the threads I've found seem like they are VERY satisfied with the basic package, which is why I'm thinking it will work for me too.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I'm thinking of going with the basic package myself. I thought I wanted the premium package but recent post lead me to think the basic will be fine. I don't plan any other audio upgrades since I rarely drive the car anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front speakers in it are fine but the other stuff is junk. If you want to listen to Disturbed loudly, I would still recommend you bring your own amp. I do not think that package will satisfy you. And leave the hatch speakers out completely.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

I just put in the Kee Audio basic package myself and I must say I am very impressed! I will say that to get the maximum benefit, you should also swap out your stock head unit with an aftermarket unit. That will help a great deal with distortion getting into your system.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The big question to ask is "were you reasonably satisfied with the Monsoon system (before the speakers blew)"? Ian's speaker replacement package is an improvement over stock but it's not going to completely makeover the system. You will get somewhat better bass response and certainly much clearer mids and highs. An aftermarket head unit will definitely make a big difference as well.

If you feel that you need more bass, you can always add a sub in a stealth box while keeping the rest of the system.

If you were really dissatisfied with the sound of the stock system then replacing the speakers (or even the HU) isn't going to make enough of a difference and you should consider redoing the whole system with your own amp and speakers. Ian can help you there too.

I have those speakers and an aftermarket head unit and I'm quite happy with the sound. It sounds better than the stock systems in any other car I've ridden in. But I'm not looking for concert hall sound in my car - after all, the car is a noisy environment and not ideally shaped for good sound.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Whitebird. I put that package together to work with the stock stuff in the car. It works very well with the existing amplifier so when people ask about what to do with the stock system that's why I recommend that specific package because of it's compatibility and the way it does improve sound over stock speakers.
LS1Sounds, judging by what you have had in the past and what you have for home theater audio I think it would be safe to say that the stock system was inadequite for what you listen to. The question really is with with the limited time you spend in the vehicle is it worth you spending the money it takes to improve the sound to that level of performance or close to it. I also listen to bands like Disturbed s I have a good idea of what your going for.
For the that kind of improvement I totally agree with Dragonrage on utilizing an aftermarket amplifier vs. the stock Monsoon. Sound quality is drastically improved not to mention power output. Personally this is what I did ultimately after playing around with the Monsoon for a couple of years.
I'd be happy to get a nice package together for you that would include an aftermarket receiver, amp, speakers, and all the installation equipment needed to get it in. I would also consider some sound deadener as well. This can also improve the sound of your upgraded speakers. Personally I think aftermarket would be a better route in this case to achieve your sound goals.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

I'm no expert by any means, but I've done a few installs on various cars (no f body's yet) and IMO an aftermarket amp is basically a necessity on most vehicles from the early 2000's and older. That's a general statement of course as some older cars have a decent stereo, and new cars definitely have stepped it up in the stereo department, but this seems to be the case with most domestic cars I've seen and heard.

The install that really proved to me that the older cars amps are pathetic was my 1995 Ford Thunderbird install. Its had the "premium" sound package with an external amp and better speakers, basically like the monsoon setup. I completely rewired that car, and just for my own curiosity I hooked up my 4channel amp to the stock speakers and the sound quality was unreal compared to stock, with the stock speakers! It was so good in fact I left the stockers in the back. Had I not bought the front speakers already, I might have just kept the stock ones all around lol.

Anyway, my point is that the stock amp is probably not going to satisfy you even with good speakers. And IMO, the stock amp could have contributed to the speaker failure honestly. Get a little distortion and clipping from the crappy amp, and the speakers aren't going to like it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I just installed the basic package in my 2001 Camaro SS. I am very happy with the sound. The only downside was the install of the speakers in the sail panel. Very tight fit and make sure you buy the clips that are in one of the stickies. The stock ones don't work they are to large.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks all, you have brought up some very good points! I'm working with Ian to set up a recommended replacement system in PMs, and then I'll have to decide which one to buy. Both door speakers are blown now and I think one of the sails too, it sounds terrible!

It will probably end up looking something like these:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html

Old 12-11-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
It will probably end up looking something like these:

i have a similar set up with type-r 6.5 in the door, anyway try flush mounting tweeters like this, if u like.

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
Vote for where i mounted my tweeters.

here are some videos: Video 1, Video 2, Video 3

and here are some pics

Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
i have a similar set up with type-r 6.5 in the door, anyway try flush mounting tweeters like this, if u like.
That looks really good! How does it sound?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Tweeter pods on the inside of where the mirror goes are FAR better than that placement. The driver's side tweeter is bouncing off and going AWAY from the driver's ear that way. Not good. Very overrated tweeter positioning. And seems like a bit much effort to do for just Type R speakers, anyway.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
That looks really good! How does it sound?
Type r tweeters are very sharp, even though they are not facing me i can hear them right inside my brain plus the are flush mounted and colours really match nice, looks real oem to me.

Yes tweeter pods will be better but will u pay $150-$200 for a tweeter pod ??? i wouldnt..... i spent 30-60 minute putting those tweeters where they are NOW and i cant remember if i spent a dim on the installation, agian theose tweeters are sharp, i have them facing the windshield and still they give plenty for me.

Just my 2 cent
Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Is that what they're going for these days? I paid a lot less for mine.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

plus u can change the direction of them
Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Is that what they're going for these days? I paid a lot less for mine.
never saw anyone othar than 6le making them,

look ur self, http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...hp?cPath=21_70

how much did u pay for ur pods, just curious
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

$65 from Mike @ F-body Audio... a couple years ago
Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
$65 from Mike @ F-body Audio... a couple years ago
Yeah thats a Fair price, i would also buy them for that price, IF i liked how they look.

post pics lets see how that look @@.