Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Thinking about deleting sail speakers-opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about deleting sail speakers-opinions

I have a 2 sets of focal 165 k2p 6.5 drivers and I want to take the set out of the rear sail panel area. It doesnt have the crossover to it and its going straight to the amp. It just doesn't sound as good as the front. Nobody sits back there and I like the idea of having a back up set. I have a 10 sub in the stealth box in the rear hatch area as well so there is plenty of sound all together.

My question is has anyone deleted this area for speakers after having them there and found themselves worse off. I'm pretty sure I want to do this but I want to hear your opinions.

Also could I bridge my 4 channel to a 2 channel and send extra power the front components and just turn the juice down and be better off.

Between fixing my amp rack and redoing some pieces in the interior I just want to neaten up the whole deal.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my sails and rear speakers disconnected. Good fronts and a good stealthbox sub only, please. Adding anything more lowers quality.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I have my sails and rear speakers disconnected. Good fronts and a good stealthbox sub only, please. Adding anything more lowers quality.
That is what I am doing. After doing a lot of research on the some car audio forums I found that most people recommend front components and a rear sub for all vehicles unless you have people in the back seat, which I never do.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
@@ you opend my eyes on this, but why will it lower the quality ?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
@@ you opend my eyes on this, but why will it lower the quality ?
It doesn't lower sound quality except for those audiophile purists who believe that music should always come from the front (a front sound stage like a concert). They believe that surround sound is for the unwashed masses.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it will introduce even more phase cancellations, reflections and other things that are already a huge problem in cars even with just front speakers.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

I started listening to my stock Monsoon system with the fade all the way to the front (with 10" Type R in a stealthbox) to get myself used to having front components only with an aftermarket amp and every once in a while I would balance out the fade and the system would obviously be louder but did not sound as good. Seemed like I could even notice a faint echo effect, possibly between the front and rear full range speakers? Maybe, or it was all in my head. I can't wait to get my stereo back in there after raamating the entire car.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for confirming guys. I have enough sound but I think it can sound better than it does considering what I have into the stereo.