Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What should I do?

Usually I just ask Ian (Kee Audio) all my audio type questions but I know he just had surgery and isn't online too much, come on recovery! LOL Plus he is probably taking care of all the orders he had while being out. ANyway here is my question. What should I do to get full sound from my car? When I say that I mean door speaker and sail panel speaker replacements since I have nitrous in the hatch and those speakers DO NOT work back there.

What I want is full sound from just replacing the doors and sail panel. You know just nice full range of sound without adding a sub. I was wanting to get Kee Audio's "Premium" speaker replacement and add an amp but will the sail panels still put out bass? I want to do whatever it takes to get a nice full range of sound without a sub.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If you have the factory 10-speaker premium sound system then you can use the same door and sail panel speakers Ian sells for Monsoon systems. The 10-speaker system had subs in the sail panels and components in the doors that are very similar to the Monsoon setup. Just leave the hatch speakers disconnected (they aren't really needed anyway). It won't give you the bass you'd get from a separate sub but it's not bad.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

So the premium package wouldn't do me any more good as opposed to his factory replacement package? Or possibly the Bazookas or Audiopipes? Like I said I'm not looking to get mean decibels or anything, just want full sound whether that takes an amp or not. I just don't want a sub.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Neither the standard nor the premium speaker replacement packages can magically produce bass that isn't there. What you're getting with those packages are better than stock quality speakers that will reproduce the signal they're given more clearly and precisely than the stock speakers. They are also capable of handling more power than stock in case you want to upgrade later.

If you really want to change the sound you'll have to replace the head unit and/or amp. You could run an aftermarket 4-channel amp and use crossovers and low-pass filters to get the right balance of sound from the door components and the sail panel subs. That combination would probably be your best bet if you don't want a separate sub.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot to mention I already have a headunit, Kenwood EZ-700SR to be exact. So basically I'd be better off just getting factory replacements from Ian? But if I decide to get the the premium package and add a small amp will I get any bass output or will the sails and doors give out the same sound?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

I would add a layer or 2 of sound deadening on and in the doors and sail panels, and a layer of closed cell foam(inside the doors and behind the sail panel speakers only) something like second skin overkill pro for example.IMO, doing this will give the speaker a better/cleaner sound.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Did a little bit of sound deadener also.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want good bass from just fronts, go with Rainbow X-line. Don't go with CDT - while they are a decent brand, they have a much lower displacement than Rainbow speakers. And the X-lines are nice and shallow and will fit without modification. Not even an MDF ring needed.

That does not make them perfect. They are great speakers, but IMO they are not a replacement for a sub. However, they are better than the CDT hands down and they are more likely to satisfy people without a sub.

You will pay more for Rainbows though (as compared to CDT).
Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you really want to change the sound you'll have to replace the head unit and/or amp. You could run an aftermarket 4-channel amp and use crossovers and low-pass filters to get the right balance of sound from the door components and the sail panel subs. That combination would probably be your best bet if you don't want a separate sub.

I wish i knew this before i went and bought 2 amps. the sony amp alone would have done great

WhiteBird00

Last edited by Engine_HP; 01-05-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

I don't want to sound rude but maybe I'm not explaining clearly so let me say again. I have the 10 speaker sound system that came in LT1's, I want a nice full range sound without adding a separate subwoofer in a stealth box. The only speakers I want to use are the doors and the sail panel because the hatch speakers are disconnected since I have nitrous in there. I will add another amp if I need to for the doors and sails but not for a sub. I just don't know if by doing that if the sails will still put out bass.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by porksoda
I don't want to sound rude but maybe I'm not explaining clearly so let me say again. I have the 10 speaker sound system that came in LT1's, I want a nice full range sound without adding a separate subwoofer in a stealth box. The only speakers I want to use are the doors and the sail panel because the hatch speakers are disconnected since I have nitrous in there. I will add another amp if I need to for the doors and sails but not for a sub. I just don't know if by doing that if the sails will still put out bass.
i heard yes the will make good Bass, but havint tried it yet.
if ur not in a hury u can wait until i get my set up done and il deff give u an answer .
Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think you're better off not using those small "subwoofers"
Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
WhiteBird00
What the hell is that about?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I really think you're better off not using those small "subwoofers"
Who me ?

I think those 6.5s will sute my needs i just want better sound than factory. NO TOO MUCH BASS not in this car maby another car and i still want to keep the weight light.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What the hell is that about?
lool for me not knowing that one amp culd handle a sub woofer and a component speaker