Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

train horn installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default train horn installation

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this topic but whatever haha. So basically I want to know what it would take to install a train/air horn on my 02 Z28... I'm not really familiar with what parts it requires and such. I just know I want something LOUD.

The reason I am asking this is because about half a year ago my car was broken into IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY IN MY COLLEGE PARKING LOT WITHIN 50 MINUTES, what the ****... anyways they ended up stealing my valentine one, my blaupunkt headunit, memphis 4-band parametric equalizer, and my entire amp rack that housed two memphis amps worth about $1300. And if that wasn't bad enough, they ******* cut the power wire that goes to the fuse box that controls the horn/alarm so when I tried to start my car...no power. All within 50 minutes. It was an extremely well done custom installation that I paid almost 4 grand for. Words cannot describe how pissed off I was. Luckily they didn't get any of my speakers, my subs (they tried though), my powercell, or anything like that. They even had the courtesy to CUT my RCA wires at the headunit and in the back where the amps were connected... As if it didn't take two seconds to unplug them. *sigh*

Can anyone help me out with this? I refuse to let my baby get broken into again.

Last edited by ncfastls1; 02-12-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.jcwhitney.com. oh and buy a gun too for when you catch them.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

search "train horns" on ebay... thay have plenty of stuff on there
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone have experience with any certain kit? I've been browsing through some and looking at reviews but some people say that it's either not loud enough or doesn't sound good. I'm looking for one that draws as much attention as possible while still sounding like an actual train.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
Does anyone have experience with any certain kit? I've been browsing through some and looking at reviews but some people say that it's either not loud enough or doesn't sound good. I'm looking for one that draws as much attention as possible while still sounding like an actual train.
Well, if its not loud enough, the horn isn't "real" or there's not enough air going to it. I balked when I saw that OEM train horns go for over $1K for just the horn. (Never mind the high quality air system needed to drive them.) http://www.hornblasters.com/trainhornfacts/

If you want to roll like a "G" and get that real horn sound, you can do it, but you'll need to lay down the cash like one too!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...sku=train+horn

There are plenty others that will be loud to,
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

www.hornblasters.com is a really good place for some quality kits
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Teching In

forget the horn - try and track down one of these:
http://www.spyworld.net/AutoTaser.htm
maybe someone is selling one on ebay...
Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Might as well buy two. I had a buddy put one under the hood and one in the car. If the one on the out side isn't loud enough to scare them away then the one on the inside will damn sure do some permanent ear damage!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4thgen Fbodies Don't have alot of space available to mount those massive horns not to mention the airtank and compressor required to drive them effectively.

Wolo makes airhorns that have a H.O. Compressor to drive them, I dropped one into my 2500 to give it a better attention getting sound than the stock horns. 4 Tones now. 2 from the Airhorns and 2 from the stock electrics.

I've considered trying to mount a Wolo rig into my 4th. Just haven't got around to looking for a good location for it to allow sufficent sound to escape the location it would be in. A Wolo horn set would look like what you can find on the roofs of 4500 Chevys and on up to 18wheeler trucks.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

one of the main reasons why your car was targeted by thieves is because you cruise around campus blasting it and forcing everyone around you to listen to your personal preference of music. they just need to note your car or even just follow you to where it's parked.

same goes for blasting it too close to home. thieves will follow, mark the location and come back after midnight on a Sunday when you'll most likely be asleep, awaiting the next work week.

exact same thing happened to my brother. he thought he was real cool driving around showing off his stereo and waking up & ghettoing the neighborhood.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Let me guess, no alarm on the car? Don't say factory alarm, because they don't do crap but honk the horn and people in the area don't even pay attention to that. Buy a good alarm and don't draw attention to yourself. Almost anything from DEI will be good. Add an extra sensor or 2 and a backup battery, so even if they stay around long enough to cut the power, the backup battery will kick in.

As for the horn, I bought a Klein 3-trumpet horn from ebay for $125 a couple years ago. With 150psi on it, everyone that experienced it almost crapped their pants. You'll need a compressor like a ViAir similar to the compressors on air ride systems, and at least a 3 gallon tank. I've installed several systems like this that I've pieced together for some of my customers. The last being an 08 Mustang. The tank and compressor was in the trunk, the horn was between the radiator and front bumper rebar. You can look at the kits on hornblasters.com, those are about the most well put together systems you can get.

Quick Reply: train horn installation