Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Went to buy Crossovers they thought I was nuts...???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to buy Crossovers they thought I was nuts...???

Ok its only Best Buy and I was being lazy (Although they did have an Alpine deck i like on sale for 150 the X200) but I went and said I need 2 Crossovers.

Now I am no Car Audio expert but I believe you use those when you want to keep one set of speakers getting say the Mid Freq Range and another set the High Freq Range. (Such as door panel mids and tweeters like I am working with).

The installer just gave me this look like I was nuts... then he showed me these things called Speaker Savers and they have 2 options 200hz, 300hz and 2800hz..... He hands me the 2800hz ones.... WTH are these things?

I was not sure I asked and he just could not answer for what I wanted to know. So I will ask you guys.

Here is my question:
WTH are these things? They look to me like inline cap to blow if it goes to high not a filter but maybe I am wrong.

If they are what I need do I need one on each side Pos and Neg? (I assume I do)

Thanks I am going to go start my speaker wiring and see where I end up.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Those are inline filters. they will only let frequencies above the rated level pass. not the most ideal but they will work. most places dotn sell crossovers alone, you would need to purchase a component set. And for future reference: stay away from bestbuy. unless you find the rare person who knows their stuff, they are terrible. i worked for circuit city for 6 years as car audiio install manager and i saw the same thing there that goes on at bestbuy. they have a few poeple who are awesome, but the idiots by far give them a bad name.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Well I guess for stock tweeters they will work then lol.

I have everything done but the drivers front (rewired that is), I am going to get the passenger side back on before I play with it.

Hopefully the radio has no further problems with powering off and on... I saw the BCM back there and I would pref not to have to mess with it.

Thank you for the answers, it will be nice to finally have a radio again that plays on all speakers. Now just to run a power and ground for the rear amp.

Hey since you did this for years maybe you can answer this for me.

On the Alpine AI-Net it has a Pink/White Interrupt wire that you have to ground to use the iPod on it. While its not as nice as the alpine that can control it that I just removed I like the 1.5Din size this one is.
Either way what I want to know is can I just put it in with the Main ground or does it need a body ground of its own?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Same black wire you ground the radio to in the car harness
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Excellent makes it easier.

Thanks again If your close by some time in AZ let me know I will buy a pitcher at Hooters etc.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
And for future reference: stay away from bestbuy. unless you find the rare person who knows their stuff, they are terrible. i worked for circuit city for 6 years as car audiio install manager and i saw the same thing there that goes on at bestbuy. they have a few poeple who are awesome, but the idiots by far give them a bad name.
i know many people that work at bestbuy. their workers are full of ****. the training is purely "read what box says". they just make up answers, unless that person happened to be a computer guru. hell, even most geek squad people dont know anything but how to run antivirus.

i'd try amazon or ebay and actually get a crossover so you can adjust it the way you want. but be aware that crossovers are designed to split one signal to 2, a low and high (at least any one that i have seen). our cars from factory have separate wiring for tweeter and mid so unless you put in your own amp (which it sounds like you did but making sure),you will need a filter or something.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

No I am getting rid of the Bose system in my 95. Its evil.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most component sets come with matched crossovers what are u trying to do exactly
Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
i know many people that work at bestbuy. their workers are full of ****. the training is purely "read what box says". they just make up answers, unless that person happened to be a computer guru. hell, even most geek squad people dont know anything but how to run antivirus.
That's because they use the "mirror test" as part of the hiring process - they put a mirror under the applicant's nose and if it fogs up they're hired.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's because they use the "mirror test" as part of the hiring process - they put a mirror under the applicant's nose and if it fogs up they're hired.
Haha yea... If you have a pulse.. your in!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Haha yea... If you have a pulse.. your in!
No thats the requirement to be a Walmart Greeter.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Teching In

I was in that same situation, best buy doesnt know anything.

I went about it by searching online for all answers for about a week then decided to just disassemble the car and see what the deal was. By the way, for those that may not know, the factory amp was in the pass sail panel area. I have seen conflicting reports of it being in the spare tire wheel-well as well as behind the glove compartment. That could be the case for others, but as for my 94 base bird it was in the sail panel.

The total process took 4 hours to complete and that included the removal of all interior paneling, back seats, then re-wiring the back hatch speakers as well as the sail panel speakers with hiding the wire under the carpet. To me that was a lot easier than trying to mess with the factory amp and trying to splice wires to bypass it.

And The sound is so much better now!

I don't have anything fancy. Just replaced the two blown sail panel speakers with decent aftermarket ones, kept stock door and back hatch speakers for now. The highs sound great, but i don't have enough lows, so Ill be replacing the front soon enough with component speakers in the coming weeks then save up for a 10" sub in the back hatch area in that empty space across from the spare tire area.

I figured that while i was at it that I should scuff up, prime and paint my interior paneling. The stock color was tan, i am going with a Black and gray interior. I would estimate that an hour of the time working on this project was taken by the paint and prep work.

Also, while i was at it, i removed the felt stuff from the speaker covers on the sail paneling and painted that to match the black paint i used on the panel. It turned out really nice.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sonjiin
By the way, for those that may not know, the factory amp was in the pass sail panel area. I have seen conflicting reports of it being in the spare tire wheel-well as well as behind the glove compartment. That could be the case for others, but as for my 94 base bird it was in the sail panel.
That would be because you had the Firebird "premium" 10-speaker sound system available 93-96. It had an amp behind the right sail panel trim next to the rear seat cushion that powered only the sail panel subs. The more recent Monsoon system (97-02) had 10 speakers that were mostly (all except the tweeters) powered by the eight-channel amp that was mounted in the hatch area in front of the spare tire.

The total process took 4 hours to complete and that included the removal of all interior paneling, back seats, then re-wiring the back hatch speakers as well as the sail panel speakers with hiding the wire under the carpet. To me that was a lot easier than trying to mess with the factory amp and trying to splice wires to bypass it.
That would be true of a Monsoon system but yours was already running everything except the sail panel subs directly off the head unit so rewiring really wasn't necessary. A decent pair of 6.5" midbass speakers would have dropped right in without requiring rewiring.

I don't have anything fancy. Just replaced the two blown sail panel speakers with decent aftermarket ones, kept stock door and back hatch speakers for now. The highs sound great, but i don't have enough lows
Did I mention that the sail panel speakers were subs? Replacing them with coaxial or whatever full-range speakers would be why your bass disappeared.