Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sail speaker gone...to upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sail speaker gone...to upgrade or not?

Hello everyone. I have a 2000 ta t-tops with a monsoon sytem. Sail speaker is now crackling. So now I'm thinking to myself, should I go all out and spend some cash or go modest and spend less cash or just replace the damn speaker thats popped? So I read about other guys leaving everything stock and installing cdt speaker packages and being happy with them for around $350.00. I got a price from abc warehouse to leave the 4's in the rear and install a alpine amp and 4 new polk speakers for the doors and sails about $ 650.00 installed......any suggestions....BTW i would like to keep the car as close to stoack as I can for resale purposes...38,000 miles not a scratch, dent or chip...shiny black!! Thanks guys!!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Putting in four full-range speakers and a different amp isn't what I would call keeping it close to stock. That will involve rewiring all the speakers and the amp and give you a system lacking in bass because of replacing the sail panel subs with full-range speakers (or coaxials or whatever).

There is definitely a place for replacing the Monsoon system with a better quality system but it doesn't go with keeping the car close to stock. If you want to go that way, I recommend adding a stealth box and sub in the back.

If you just want to replace the sail panel speakers, check out the Audiopipe or Bazooka replacements that Kee Audio carries. Total cost under $200 to get you better than stock performance without changing the Monsoon configuration.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 PM

thanks whitebird...when i said stock I meant appearance wise, no sub-boxes and would like to keep the original deck....are the audiopipe or bazooka replacements exact fits, no mod's?...I checked out the site...audiopipe is in stock and bazooka is out for a bit..i called and left a message....do you know if one is better than the other....$ 89.00 for the audio's adn $ 120.00 for the bazooka's

Last edited by tksmooth30; 08-27-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I have the Audiopipe subs in my car. They are a drop in replacement except for the wiring plug (cut the plug off the factory speaker and use it for the replacement). I certainly don't have a high-end system (I'd rather do that at home) but the subs make a noticeable difference. I can actually feel the bass rather than just hear it.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Nice! I will go that route..now here's the "when do I quit side of me" question..... do you think it's worth changing out the door speakers too or leave well enough alone...I think the stock door speakers sound ok..but if i'm gonna do it, I wanna do it right...lol...thanks for your help!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, there are some nice replacements available in the aftermarket for the door speakers. They are 6.5" mids with .75" tweeters so there are a lot of available options. Personally, I went with the CDT package but some prefer Alpine, Infinity, or other brands.

The nice thing is that you don't have to do it all at once. If the factory door speakers are working fine then you can leave them for now. However, they will eventually die because they are made from fairly cheap materials. I recommend that you shop around and listen to some different component sets before making a decision. For example, some people love the Infinity speakers while others complain that they are so bright they make their ears bleed. The CDTs seem to have a tone very similar to the stock speakers except richer and more defined (and better power handling).
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM

So you have the audio subs and cdt's in your doors? if you like that combination...I'll try it. From what i've read so far people like cdt products....why didn't you do the cdt's for the sails?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The CDTs aren't dual voice coil for the sail panels. Using the Audiopipe subs allowed me to wire them exactly as the factory system was set up.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM

gotcha!!! i will do the same!! Thanks for your help!!!