Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power Door Locks Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Locks Install

Ok I have installed Power windows in my firebird that originally had crank windows. I am just not familiar enough without pulling my door panel off and looking at it. What all would i need. Would it just be the actuator. Bolt that up and connect it to me installed harness? Seems like that would be all. Also does any body know where to find the actuator besides eBay? They have one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

Does anybody know a cheaper or better actuator? Maybe one from Advanced Auto Parts?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

did u get the cross body harness?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah I got the harness that lays over the dash into the door panels, and I have already wired up the power windows and the power mirrors. I just need to know what all is in the power door lock mechanism. Is it just the actuator? Will that hook right up to the rods that trigger the locks now? It should. Right? lol
Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

best thing to do is get used door latch assemblies with power locks there are no additional rods just replace your latch assemblies with powered ones and your good to go the actuator is a integral part of the latch
Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Ok thanks Ill be doing this in a week or so. Does anybody have a good keyless entry sytem once I get the power door locks in stalled. Call me stupid but I like the ones that go woop woop when you lock them. Haha
Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

see i did what u did with the power windows and locks and installed a BCM with the factory alarm and i use the factory key fobs to lock unlock my car
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Launching!

How do I get the factory key fobs to work if I don't have any. I assume you can program them, but how? I know you can alarm sensors on eBay, but how did you program yours to the car, and what receives that signal? The alarm sensor. Thanks for the help. By the way nice swap! I am going to be building a 5.7 from the ground up in a couple months for mine, it will be a learning experience.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

get the anitheft relay put it in and put the shock sensor in it in the manual it says how to program the key fobs
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

and make sure you have a bcm with antitheft on and capable of taking key fobs u can know by-- removing the radio fuse turning the key back and listen to the chimes 1 chime is limited features and 2 chimes have full features and is capable of using key fobs
Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Launching!

What do you mean by the anti-theft relay? The keyless entry reciever that sits at the passengers feet? And the shock sensor plug is on top of the dash correct? I remember seeing a plug up there when I put the power window wiring harness in.

Last edited by pemberton; 10-02-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Ok I went out side at work just now opened the door left it open, removed the radio fuse #17 and turned the key to acc and it just kept chiming. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Lol I would think that would be fairly simple. Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

turn the key backwards not forwards
Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

there is a connector behind the radio that is wrapped with foam and a relay goes there for the anti theft u will have to pull the radio stick ur hand in there and to the right is a relay that is already there and a connector that is wrapped with foam and you have to put a relay into it any 85-86-30-87 relay will work just make sure it stays in there
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

BCM Types and Personalization
BCM Type 1
The following features are included as part of BCM Type 1:

• Delayed Illumination

• Delayed Locking

• Exit Lighting

• Lockout Prevention

BCM Type 2
The following features are included as part of BCM Type 2:

• Content Theft Deterrent Arming Method personalization

• Content Theft Deterrent Arming Verification personalization

• Delayed Illumination

• Delayed Locking

• Driver Door Alarm Delay

• Exit Lighting

• Lockout Prevention

• Remote Activation Verification

Content Theft Deterrent Arming Method
The following are the modes of operation for the content theft deterrent arming method:

• Mode 1:

The content theft deterrent arming is disabled.

• Mode 2:

The content theft deterrent arms when the vehicle is locked using the keyless entry transmitter.

• Mode 3:

The content theft deterrent arms when the vehicle is locked using the keyless entry transmitter or the power door locks.

• Mode 4:

The content theft deterrent arms when the vehicle is locked using the power door locks or when the vehicle doors are closed.

Content Theft Deterrent Arming Verification
The following are the modes of operation for the content theft deterrent arming verification:

• Mode 1:

The content theft deterrent arming verification is disabled.

• Mode 2:

The horn chirps and the park lamps flash when the content theft deterrent is armed.

• Mode 3:

The horn chirps and the park lamps flash when the content theft deterrent is armed using the transmitter. The park lamps flash when the content theft deterrent is armed using the power door lock switch.

• Mode 4:

The park lamps flash when the content theft deterrent is armed.

Delayed Illumination and Exit Lighting
The following are the modes of operation for the delayed illumination and exit lighting features:

• Mode 1:

Both the delayed illumination and the exit lighting features are disabled.

• Mode 2:

The delayed illumination feature is enabled only.

• Mode 3:

The exit lighting feature is enabled only.

• Mode 4:

Both the delayed illumination and the exit lighting features are enabled.

Delayed Locking and Lockout Prevention
The following are the modes of operation for the delayed locking and the lockout prevention features:

• Mode 1:

Both the delayed locking and the lockout prevention features are disabled.

• Mode 2:

The lockout prevention feature is enabled only.

• Mode 3:

The delayed locking feature is enabled only.

• Mode 4:

Both the delayed locking and the lockout prevention features are enabled.

Driver Door Alarm Delay and Shock Sensor Enable
The following are the modes of operation for the driver door alarm delay and the shock sensor enable for the content theft deterrent:

• Mode 1:

The driver door alarm delay is set at zero, and the shock sensor is disabled.

• Mode 2:

The driver door alarm delay is set at eight seconds, and the shock sensor is disabled.

• Mode 3:

The driver door alarm delay is set at zero, and the shock sensor is enabled.

• Mode 4:

The driver door alarm delay is set at eight seconds, and the shock sensor is enabled.

Remote Activation Verification
The following are the modes of operation for the remote activation verification for the keyless entry system:

• Mode 1:

The remote activation verification feature is disabled.

• Mode 2:

The park lamps flash and the horn chirps when the LOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter is pressed. The park lamps flash when the UNLOCK button on the transmitter is pressed.

• Mode 3:

The park lamps flash and the horn chirps when the LOCK button or the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter is pressed.

• Mode 4:

The park lamps flash when the LOCK button or the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter is pressed.

• Mode 5:

The park lamps flash when the LOCK button or the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter is pressed. The horn chirps when the LOCK button on the transmitter is pressed more than once.

Programming Features
Enter Programming Mode
Perform the following steps in order to enter the programming mode:

With the ignition in the OFF position, remove the RADIO #17 fuse.
Close the driver door.
Turn the ignition to the ACC position.
List to the number of chimes. The chimes indicate the BCM type (1 or 2) and therefore the features that may be personalized.
Content Theft Deterrent Arming Method, if equipped with Theft Deterrent
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the content theft deterrent arming method:

Press the power door unlock switch. Count the number of chimes in order to determine the current mode.
Press the power door unlock switch again in order to advance to the next mode. The chime will sound the number of times equivalent to the mode.
Continue to press the power door unlock switch until you reach the desired mode.
Content Theft Deterrent Arming Verification, if equipped with Theft Deterrent
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the content theft deterrent arming verification:

Press the LOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter. Count the number of chimes in order to determine the current mode.
Press the LOCK button on the transmitter again in order to advance to the next mode. The chime will sound the number of times equivalent to the mode.
Continue to press the LOCK button until you reach the desired mode.

Delayed Illumination and Exit Lighting
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the delayed illumination and the exit lighting features:

Turn the courtesy lamps on by turning the instrument panel brightness control all the way up. Count the number of chimes in order to determine the current mode.
Turn the courtesy lamps on again in order to advance to the next mode. The chime will sound the number of times equivalent to the mode.
Continue to cycle the courtesy lamps until you reach the desired mode.

Delayed Locking and Lockout Prevention
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the delayed locking and the lockout prevention features:

Press the power door lock switch. Count the number of chimes in order to determine the current mode.
Press the power door lock switch again in order to advance to the next mode. The chime will sound the number of times equivalent to the mode.
Continue to press the power door lock switch until you reach the desired mode.

Driver Door Alarm Delay and Shock Sensor Enable, if equipped with Theft Deterrent
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the driver door alarm delay and the shock sensor enable for the content theft deterrent:

Turn the park lamps on. Count the number of chimes in order to determine the current mode.
Turn the park lamps on again in order to advance to the next mode. The chime will sound the number of times equivalent to the mode.
Continue to cycle the park lamps until you reach the desired mode.

Remote Activation Verification, if equipped with Keyless Entry
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the remote activation verification for the remote keyless entry:

Press the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter. Count the number of chimes in order to determine the current mode.
Press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter again in order to advance to the next mode. The chime will sound the number of times equivalent to the mode.
Continue to press the UNLOCK button until you reach the desired mode.

Exit Programming
Continue with the following steps in order to exit the programming mode:

Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Replace the RADIO #17 fuse.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

if u have your owners manual it explains it better
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Dam I just did the check and mine is the 1st BCM. I guess I'm going to have to go aftermarket. Used BCM's are going for at least $100 on eBay, and wont a new BCM make your key not work (the pellet will be a different resistance)? I bypassed my VATS but I'm pretty sure thats controlled by the BCM so I would need different resistors. Am I right about that? If so would it be possible to make your car chirp with a different horn than your actual horn. I think our horns sound like crap. I don't know why but I like the ricers woop woop.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

By the way that was one hell of a write up I appreciate it. Anywhere I could get a BCM cheaper than $100?
Old 10-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

idk best bet is junk yard and if u wanna make a used BCM work do it like you said -- just set up the 15 resister combos and try them out until you get the right one... but if your gonna go aftermarket just stick to the one you got..
Old 10-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks I really appreciate all the help, I think I'm just gonna go aftermarket though. Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Not trying to thread jack anyone here but i noticed that you said earlier that you converted the crank windows to power windows...Just curious on how hard it was to do and what parts were needed. Thanks

Quick Reply: Power Door Locks Install