Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Old School VS. New School Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Old School VS. New School Power

Ok so right now I'm running an old school setup of Rockford Fosgate Punch 200ix and Punch 4080. No problems with the amps at all but I decided to add another sub and before I spend more money on a old school amp can anyone suggest some new stuff that will push true power. Not these so called 1000 watt amps that might do that in a burp but Im looking for something that's true to its rating. Now I know most of the stuff back in the day for example rockford, orion, lanzar, us amps, PPI, Phoenix Gold, Soundstream and so on have pretty much turned to junk since no longer made in the USA or just not what it used to be. I'm used to class A/B power but did try JL audio's amps and was very disappointed, so please any suggestions of some good products. Oh and if you know about these amps then that will show your age just like me

Heres a pic of my setup under construction yet but might be changing...again
I do have the link and endcaps so it will look like one big amp, but if I add another 200ix will be a huge amp...if I could find another link

Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sicLS1
Ok so right now I'm running an old school setup of Rockford Fosgate Punch 200ix and Punch 4080. No problems with the amps at all but I decided to add another sub and before I spend more money on a old school amp can anyone suggest some new stuff that will push true power. Not these so called 1000 watt amps that might do that in a burp but Im looking for something that's true to its rating. Now I know most of the stuff back in the day for example rockford, orion, lanzar, us amps, PPI, Phoenix Gold, Soundstream and so on have pretty much turned to junk since no longer made in the USA or just not what it used to be. I'm used to class A/B power but did try JL audio's amps and was very disappointed, so please any suggestions of some good products. Oh and if you know about these amps then that will show your age just like me

Heres a pic of my setup under construction yet but might be changing...again
I do have the link and endcaps so it will look like one big amp, but if I add another 200ix will be a huge amp...if I could find another link

been into car audio for a while and im only 18 but i have herd stories about rockford and other "legendary" brands that used to rule the audio world.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Yes sir rockford used to be king along with many others. Pretty much any amp done by Zed Audio, PPI, Orion, among others were so called cheater amps. You have to remember though this was in a different time when the rules for SPL was alot different so you would have a amp that runs 25x2 but in reality would bridge to 500-1000w and you would still be in a lower class. So whats all this new school about anything worth looking into?

Last edited by 1sicLS1; 08-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I just buy old school off of eBay these days. I've got old school Orion amps in my daily driver and my Z28...I've even got a spare set of Orion amps in case something happens to the ones I'm running now.

US Amps use to have the most insane ratings of all the old school cheater amps IMO. I had a US Amps USA-25 that was only rated at like 12.5 watts x 2 RMS, but the thing would bridge and even handle 1 Ohm loads bridged...that's just insane! I think it put out like 300 watts RMS at 1 Ohm bridged if I remember correctly!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I rock a 100wpc Sansui Amplifier into Boston Acoustics A70's in my bedroom. You know where I stand on the issue.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
I just buy old school off of eBay these days. I've got old school Orion amps in my daily driver and my Z28...I've even got a spare set of Orion amps in case something happens to the ones I'm running now.

US Amps use to have the most insane ratings of all the old school cheater amps IMO. I had a US Amps USA-25 that was only rated at like 12.5 watts x 2 RMS, but the thing would bridge and even handle 1 Ohm loads bridged...that's just insane! I think it put out like 300 watts RMS at 1 Ohm bridged if I remember correctly!
Old School Orion You don't have any of that you wanna let go would ya?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also have two old school amp for my setup. One is a (Punch 75HD) for the sub, and a (Series1 460SD) for the mids and highs.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Man I remember Orion and PPI making some damn nice amps. I ran two Eclipse amps back in the day on my 12" subs, I don't think they make them like that anymore. As far as new school - I think Alpine makes a decent amp.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
I also have two old school amp for my setup. One is a (Punch 75HD) for the sub, and a (Series1 460SD) for the mids and highs.
I'd like to see pics of that setup ...thats some classics right there
Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to see pics of that setup ...thats some classics right there
Don't have any pictures. I am working on getting the amps mounted in the spare tire area. I will try to get some pictures of the amps. So people can see the little amps that could.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Launching!

US Amps still makes some good stuff. I dont know what kind of power you are looking for, I like Sundown Audios stuff as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the older HiFonics as well, Ive used them for years and im still running one of there amps in my car. I remember when Rockford use to run things and when the DVC's came out from them they were unreal. Now all subs are Dual Voice Coil but lack the punch they had in the past.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Old School Orion You don't have any of that you wanna let go would ya?
Nah...I'm running the exact same Orion amps in both of my cars, and I have 1 set as a spare set...I don't know why, I've never had issues with my Orion stuff, but I love it so much that if anything ever did happen, I can just pop in my spare, reset the crossovers/gains and I'll be all set.

I do have some Crutchfield amps on eBay right now that were made by Precision Power back in '89 or so. I had a set of 5 amps that I was trying to sell as a set, but I finally split them up and I've already sold the 50x4 and 75x2, and all I've got left is a 50x2 and 30x2.

Here's a link to the expired auction of the set if you want to see some classic amps from '89 or so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270542587519
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adam1982
US Amps still makes some good stuff. I dont know what kind of power you are looking for, I like Sundown Audios stuff as well.
See I wasnt sure about US Amps anymore, they used to be made in Florida back in the day but I thought now they were being made overseas. Dont quote me on that but thats what I heard. Im gonna have to check them out then cuz they were top dogs back in the day. Sundown very nice Looking for about 1000w and a matching 4 channel, but might just keep the old school not sure yet

WOW!!! I remember them Crutchfields, it was all PPI guts very nice brings back memories there
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen
Man I remember Orion and PPI making some damn nice amps. I ran two Eclipse amps back in the day on my 12" subs, I don't think they make them like that anymore. As far as new school - I think Alpine makes a decent amp.
yes alpine sure does great price to boot i have one and it surprised me
Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

I used to love the Pheonix Gold MPS series amps and the MS stuff too.
Anyone remember the Orion monster (cheater amp) that was rated at 1 watt.
IIRC it was one of the last straws that made huge changes in SPL competition.
And Orion did it on purpose for that reason.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the first orion hcca 225 were the ****.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Old school amps are great for raw power, where New School amps you are going to see a Signal to Noise ratio that far exceeds what the old stuff used to put out. For bass this isn't as big of a deal since raw power is really what is needed, but getting clear mid to highs you really should look at some of the newest stuff. SPL contests are all about loudness, not quaility. For some good new school power based amps, you might look at Memphis. They have some great products.

For anything other than your subs, if you are still running an older amp it might be time to shop for new.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone have anything to say about Eclipse amps? I know back in the day they were expensive but you got good, clean power ... and it was powerful. I had two but gave them to my dad to put in his boat. For a while there, Eclipse seemed like they quit with the amps but it seems they are back. Anyone have one of their newer amps? I'd like to try and get them again if they're still good.

Just an FYI - the Eclipse amps in my dad's boat are about 10 years old and still trucking on pretty good. I had them on many different subs/speakers. The amps were too damn good to even consider buying a new one.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen
Anyone have anything to say about Eclipse amps? I know back in the day they were expensive but you got good, clean power ... and it was powerful. I had two but gave them to my dad to put in his boat. For a while there, Eclipse seemed like they quit with the amps but it seems they are back. Anyone have one of their newer amps? I'd like to try and get them again if they're still good.

Just an FYI - the Eclipse amps in my dad's boat are about 10 years old and still trucking on pretty good. I had them on many different subs/speakers. The amps were too damn good to even consider buying a new one.
I used to sell Eclipse too. Loved the entire product lineup from headunit to amps to speakers. Had a great warranty, 3 years if dealer installed. Also had non-detachable faceplates. If your stereo was stolen they would replace it for free. (ESN-Eclipse security network) I would still buy a headunit from them. But as far as their amps go, They were clean power but for the money there were better choices out there IMHO.

These were the amps from back in the day.

Eclipse - Fujitsu Ten

Quick Reply: Old School VS. New School Power