Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help wiring up power mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help wiring up power mirrors...

I am having a problem wiring up my power mirrors. the mirrors work as they were tested on the battery itself and I can get the mirrors to work either up/down or in/out but not in all 4 motions. I have this switch as shown. The power switch wires are green/blk and white which switches the morroe to either the left or right position, The power witch had black, orange, yellow and blue wires.

My connector has white/blk, blue/blk, green/blk and yellow black ( female end) going to blue, yellow, green and white on the male end. When the ends are mated they are as such: white female to blue male, blue/blk female to yelow male, yellow/blk female to white male, green/blk femal to green male. The issue is that my mirror only has 3 wires. How do I wire this up so that all positions work? Thanks

mirror wiring
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What mirrors are you using? The factory power mirrors have four wires - two each to the up/down and left/right motors which reverse polarity to change direction.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

These are not factory mirrors. Is it possible to change out the actuators to have 4 wires?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I doubt it. The three wire setup appears to be designed to work with "intelligent" communication between the switch and the mirror. It has power, ground, and command signal wires. The circuitry in the mirror determines how to move based on the command signal. On the other hand, f-body mirrors are simple electrical circuits where the switch just provides power and ground to the motors in the mirror - there is no communication or command interface involved.

What are you trying to do? Install power mirrors where there were none? Or change existing power mirrors to a different style?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am trying to hook these mirrors up that were in place. They were installed but never wired.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Could you be more specific? Is this going on an f-body? What model did the mirrors come from? I suspect you'll have to get the switch that matches the mirrors so that the two can communicate with each other. It might be possible to rewire the mirrors for a four wire setup but it would probably involve a lot of disassembling. You'd have to get to the motors in each mirror and bring out the power wires past the "intelligent" circuitry.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the car that they are off of...its an 87 TA GTA with a Ferrari mod

Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Are the mirrors OEM for the 87 T/A or were they part of the mod?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Are the mirrors OEM for the 87 T/A or were they part of the mod?
part of the mod to my knowledge....is there a 4 wire to 3 wire converter available or would the use of relays work?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No. What you have is a mirror that has two motors behind it - one for up/down and the other for left/right. Each motor has two wires (total of four) that provide power and ground to make the motor move. The polarity gets reversed on the two wires to make the motor move in the opposite direction.

Those four wires connect to some kind of controller inside the mirror housing. The controller has three wires coming out of it going to the door switches. The three wires are power, ground, and control signal. The controller passes the power and ground to the appropriate motor connection based on the control signal received from the switch.

You may be able to take the mirror apart enough to disconnect the four motor wires and connect them directly to the your switch to avoid the need to use the switch designed to communicate with the controller. However, there is no guarantee that the motors are 12V. The controller could also be using reduced voltage output (5V or less) to the motors so bypassing it might fry the motors.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any other thoughts on this???

Quick Reply: Need help wiring up power mirrors...