Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any one replace factory monsoon amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one replace factory monsoon amp?

The question I have is.....has anyone replaced the factory monsoon amp with a larger aftermarket amp? (and then upgrading speakers of course) Doing this you would need a wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness where the monsoon amp plugs into. SOMEONE has Had to do this!! Any info wanted
Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wiring harness is not available to plug in where the factory amp was.

running new wires, is the best way

Ryan
Old 03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am considering making soimething like this with a low powered amp... however noone has done it yet... PLUS I'm only using the factory harnesses to re-use the car's speaker wires. Its a cheesy way to go and I'm probably not gonna do it, but it could work... HOWEVER I would run its own seperate new power and ground.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default well

That blows. Someone should make one.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any update on this? I really wanna trash the factory amp
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run an aftermarket 5-channel amp that powers my doors, sails and subs. The stock harness is all in place but I removed the stock amp since I never planned on using it again and sold it.
It is not that hard to install an amp and run the wires. You can do it in a few a hours. Sound gains are much better then the stock Monsoon. Plus you really don't want to reuse the stock wiring when you can upgrade it to 12awg wire and get more from your amp. By using the stock thinner gauge wire you lose a small amount of wattage, your running wires anyway, might as well run new speaker wire to and gain all the benefits of having an aftermarket amp while the panels are removed.
The hardest part of the whole install is running the speaker wire for the drivers side door because the wire bundle of the stock harness is a little thicker on that side.
The other thing is that the stock harness power and ground may be fine for the Monsoon amp but for an aftermarket amp you would need a sigificantly larger power and ground wire. There's no way that the stock wires would be sufficient for a decent amp. I'm sure that had something to do with not making an aftermarket adapter.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

All true, the stock wiring is only good for stock. The Monsoon amp is so little, I guess it can take such small gauge wire.

I would never wire in a amp with anything less than true 8 gauge wiring for power. As far as speakers go, I still use the stockers. But, I know they suck also. I just did not want to run fresh wire to the door speakers, sounded like it would be a pain.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what aftermarket amp are you using?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently I am running an OLD Rockford Fosgate Power 600.5. I bought it used about 3years ago and it still hasn't had one issue. Don't see many of these around anymore so I wanted it.
I am planning on using a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 9.0 I have possibly in the near future I bought over a year ago and it's just been sitting in the box. I may be selling that one in favor of a PG Roadster 66 but that is one expensive amp. I also have several other 5-channels that have good output like the Alpine PDX-5 (currently on nation wide back order), MTX JH805, Hifonics ZXi 8006, Cadence FXA-5100, and a few others that aren't on the site as the availability fluctuates frequently.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Currently I am running an OLD Rockford Fosgate Power 600.5. I bought it used about 3years ago and it still hasn't had one issue. Don't see many of these around anymore so I wanted it.
I am planning on using a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 9.0 I have possibly in the near future I bought over a year ago and it's just been sitting in the box. I may be selling that one in favor of a PG Roadster 66 but that is one expensive amp. I also have several other 5-channels that have good output like the Alpine PDX-5 (currently on nation wide back order), MTX JH805, Hifonics ZXi 8006, Cadence FXA-5100, and a few others that aren't on the site as the availability fluctuates frequently.
thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Any one replace factory monsoon amp?