Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

alpine VS soundstream

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question alpine VS soundstream

i would like your guys opinion on a choice im about to make. i need to replace my old worn out subs and a direct replacement choice is either

ALPINE SWR-1243D 4ohm DVC or
SOUNDSTREAM RXW-12 4ohm DVC

anyone have any experience with these subs? there going in a sealed box and powered by a 1000watt Picasso series D mono amp which puts out 500watts RMS @ 4ohms so it works out about perfect when there wired in series to present a 4ohm load on the amp. any help is appreciated.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go soundstream.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

thats what im thinking since its a soundstream amp, i might as well keep the brands the same. i had a nice set of Insignias but they dont make them anymore
Old 08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

anyone else? Soundstream RXW-12 sound like a good one? ive never used it so i dont want to waste money on it if they suck...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Soundstream was a really good old school brand, but like many, they were bought out by a mediocre brand. Their stuff now ranges from 'meh' to pretty good. I only know about their amps: I would avoid their cheapest lines like Rubicon (heard baaad things) and maybe Picasso (too late if so...), assuming that their site has the lines listed in order. However, their better stuff like the Reference series is higher end than Alpine.

For their subwoofers, I imagine that they are probably so-so, but I wouldn't really recommend you buy either them OR Alpine. I can give you a better recommendation than either if you give us your goals and budget. Personally, I don't understand why people buy Alpine, and I commend you for looking into a brand that's not what the guy at Best Buy told you to buy, but you can definitely do better.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the imput dragon, well i already had the Picasso mono amp but i did go with the RXW-12 reference subs, with the last setup i had the same amp i have now and a set of insignia 600watt RMS subs and hit a very clean ( no body rattle or distortion) 140.1 DB , i blew one sub so i got the RXW's but they seem to hit a little harder than the insignias so i think they will do fine. as for the goals and budget, as long as DB wise i stay above 140 im good but i have to have great SQ. i prefer a clean system over make ur ears bleed. plus i have an external EQ for better control of the system so it all plays out pretty well for a lower budget build. the box was pro made by subthump.com to the exact specs and airspace of the insignias which luckly are almost the exact same as the RXW's. i think for now im content. BUT dragon if you have any ideas that could further my SPL/DB but maintain or increase my SQ i will gladly listen. always room to learn! im already planning on dyno-matting the whole car to add to the SQ.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Okay, good luck with your system. Let us know what you think of the subwoofers after you've spent some time with them.

I can't really recommend much without really inspecting your system.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

well i havent tested it with a DB meter yet but they seem more crisp than the Insignias but thats probably because there new. nonetheless they are very clean all the way down to about 25-28 Hertz and super loud around 35-40 Hertz a little distortion with rock songs though they seem to have trouble with rapid transitions in hertz but im satisfied with them so far. if you budget range is around $400 for a set of 12's i would recommend them.

Quick Reply: alpine VS soundstream