Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery Wire Threaded Terminal

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Battery Wire Threaded Terminal

I have a situation where my positive battery wire terminal won't maintain a solid connection with the battery. I can only tighten the bolt so far and it will spin freely, start to tighten again, then spin freely, on and on. My battery is brand new (Diehard Gold) so I think maybe there's something wrong with threads on the threaded terminal of the positive battery cable. Short of replacing all the battery cables (Big 3) is it possible to just replace the threaded terminal on the cable?

This situation sucks because I can be driving along and lose the connection to the battery causing all kinds of funky electrical things to happen like gauges sweeping, the TC Off light turning itself off, lights dimming, etc. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

They are kind of a booger to get out but yes the center threaded part can be pulled out and a new one sourced from any parts place for a couple bucks. You would push it out the back to remove it.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $0.02 worth.....I would think that the threaded terminal on the battery would be made from a softer metal than the screw on the battery cable. My bet would be that there's something wrong with the battery. Anyway, have you tried putting a "star" washer on the battery cable screw, before inserting in the battery?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks 01ssreda4 for the info on replacing the screw, but I think leadfoot4 is right about the problem. It must be the soft threads in the battery. You mean if I use a washer I won't have to get the threads in so deep into battery to tighten it? I'll see what I can find in the way of star washers.

I tried to drive a sheet metal screw through the rubber boot into the battery terminal but I couldn't get the screw going, plus it seems too ghetto haha. I'll try the washer trick. If that doesn't work out, for whatever reason, I wonder if Sears will give me crap about exchanging the battery? I've only had it for about a month. Thanks, appreciate your help.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Damn, with a washer on there I couldn't get the screw threaded into the battery. The negative terminal is fine, tightens up good. It looks like I'm gonna have to get another battery unless there's another solution. Any other ideas? :-) Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, 01sseda4 was right on the money. Here's the story.

I planned on bringing the Diehard Gold back to Sears for a replacement, but when I tried to start the car it was completely dead. I thought I could at least make it to Sears with the intermittent connection I had before, but no dice. Luckily, there's a battery store about a mile up the road from my street, so I walked up there. I was talking to the guy and he thought the threads were probably bad on the cable. I wasn't so sure because they seemed to be all right plus leadfoot reminded me that battery female threads were lead so how could the steel threads be bad. The guy gave me a new screw for the cable just in case. So I bought a new battery and lugged it home. After I installed it I had the exact same problem, the car was completely dead. I was kinda freaked out because the positive lead screwed in much tighter in the new battery.

So I decided to swap out the screw terminal in the positive battery cable. I was able to pull it out pretty easily using vise grips. Reinstalled the cable, and bingo, the car started right up and it's been fine since. I bought a battery that I didn't need but I'll keep the Diehard as a backup. It's a happy ending but I'm unnecessarily lighter in the wallet by a 110 bucks. All I needed was a very inexpensive screw lol.

Last edited by Predator; 12-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I just had the same problem yesterday. I grabbed some lunch and when i went to start my car nothing happened, even the power locks wouldn't work. The stud on the positive side was rusty and the last thread broke off so it wouldn't snug down because the theads barely reach into the battery as it is. A pair of replacement bolts was under two bucks at carquest.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah same here, completely dead, but my thread wasn't broken off or anything so it was tricky. The guy at the battery store threw in the screw for nothing lol. Plus I lugged that battery home over a mile, all for nothing lol. The hundred-and-ten bucks I spent hurts more though lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

This is the reason I extended the wires on my old 98 z28 and went with an Optima with top posts.

Last edited by 94'BLKBRD; 12-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

I'll tell ya man, I was wishing I had top posts. Less can go wrong. Good for you.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is another good option for replacing the bolt, especially if you want to add accessories.

Quick Reply: Battery Wire Threaded Terminal