Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Good Budget Sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Budget Sub

Hey guys,

Slowly rebuilding and upgrading my car since it was rotting from about 2003-2009.

The head unit was recently replaced with this guy:

I think I bought this guy in 2001

Heres my issue, I had this custom box made, way back in 2001, but now the outer rim has rotted off.

Do these need to be replaced? Sound crackles a little, but don't know this is the cause.

If so, can anyone recomend me a good bang for the buck pair of 12s?

I listen to metal/industrial/rock

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 01-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13612W1...Brand|JL+Audio

Even if your voice coils arent blown if they're making noise and your surrounds are gone it's probably time to get new ones. JL Audio subs are extreme. If these are still out of your price range, check Memphis Car Audio's line of Power Reference subs. I had a 15" SVC 4 ohm one in my blazer on an Alpine MRP-M450 and it was the ****.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Those might be a little out of my price range.

How about these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13612WX...22#details-tab
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

I've never heard one of the WX's perform. But the specs are fairly close to the W3 series, I would say this would be a good buy. What is your amp rated for, and how many channels?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Outside of that picture I posted, I really have no idea.

That stuff is so old and I know little of stereo speak to begin with.

Looks like it might be this guy:

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/150a2.html

The 150a2 is a two-channel amp rated at 37.5 watts per channel when driving 4-ohm loads. Features include RCA or high-level inputs, high- or low-pass crossover with an 80 Hz cutoff, up to18 dB of bass boost at 45 Hz and, Rockford Fosgate’s distinctive cast aluminum “heat sink from hell”.
In typical Rockford Fosgate fashion, the 150a2’s published specs are somewhat conservative. Signal-to-noise measured –108 dB, which is about 8 dB better than spec, and the rated power for this unit was lower than the actual available output by as much as 50 percent. Overall, the 150a2 is a pretty slick little package, especially when you consider that it’s smaller than a hard-back dictionary. When was the last time you got 200 watts from a Collegiate Webster’s?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

After a little digging I found that this amp is indeed 2 ohm stable, which is good news. This gives us a little flexibility. However with the low power of this amp (It draws 20A so at maximum, 13.8V avg it would only put out ~270 W but that's a max rating ballpark figure) being 75Wx2 @ 2 ohm I would recommend a sealed, dual voice coil 12" subwoofer like this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2D2...e-R2D2-12.html

75W on two voice coils would be close to optimal for this subwoofer and will get you the best sound for the dollar without upgrading further equipment. Also, I say that you should use a sealed box because this amp has no subsonic filter, in a ported box your subwoofer will sound really nasty (in a bad way).
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Thanks for your help GX, I really appreciate it.

The sub box I had built, as shown in pic, is sealed I believe.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

If you want to keep a dual subwoofer configuration I'm sure they make that subwoofer in a single voice coil style. Make sure when selecting your sub, that you stay with a 2 ohm rated voice coil- it'll pull more power out of your amp. Alternatively you could get two 4-ohm subs, and wire them up in parallel so the amp will "see" a 2 ohm load, and push out that power accordingly.

One thing to keep in mind- no matter what setup you go with, make sure whatever you get is in range for what your amp puts out. Underpowering your sub can be just as dangerous to the speaker as overpowering it. A good rule of thumb is to go with something that's in the middle of the road- a 50W-150W sub would be ideal for what you're working with.

Glad to help you though, I spent years learning all this stuff about audio equipment I always jump at an opportunity to share