Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best amp monting locations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best amp monting locations

i am installing an older sony xplod 1000w amp in my 2000 trans am but i don't know where a good place is to hide it. i don't want it visible at all. Can someone post some pictures where they have theirs mounted at and what they did.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old setup in my old Camaro (Sony xplod 1200w), I like the amp to be visible imo but some people like to hide it. You would need a stealth amp rack if you want to "hide" your amp.....

Name:  CamaroNew2.jpg
Views: 3848
Size:  14.4 KB
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Heyo, I did my sound system with the rear mounted amp rack. Let me tell you, it is frickin awesome. It is out of the way so the car looks stock unless u peek inside the trunk area (theft prevention) and the wires are out of sight. It also is out of the way so you still have plenty of room to transport luggage, T-tops, dead bodies, or whatever suits you.

Here is a pic (not my car, don't have a picture of mine handy, but exactly the same).

The sub box goes great with it as well.
And here is a link to the company that makes it. Great pricing too.
http://subthump.com/Pontiac-Sub-Boxe...closure-1.html

Good luck man, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is hidden but that is because I have a convertible. If you have the piece that is carpeted in the back of the car you can leave it up and when you shut the hatch it will hide the sub, amp, and capacitor if you have all of that in your system. I take it if you have T-tops you would like to keep the top holders in the back though.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  2012-01-29_13-14-39_70.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  178.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
FCar2000TA (06-24-2021)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cheap, easy, stealthy:

http://www.banddirector.cz28.com/photo3.html
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Capricio
I like that. I got rid of my spare to put mine in the same spot. I may need to revisit that.

Good job!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those all look great. Thanks for the ideas. Since my car has the monsoon in it is there a way I can run the power to my new amp from that same power source or do I have to run it all the way to the battery?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an f body, but I've done some installs on them...what about under the passenger seat? I know an mrp-m1000 fits under there so the Sony amp should too
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

put mine in the spare tire compartment. you would never know it is there. Been there for 2 years now.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cookba
put mine in the spare tire compartment. you would never know it is there. Been there for 2 years now.

This is where my JL 500/1 is going.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

My setup.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I had my amps underneath my Dual 12 T-top box for the longest time. But putting the dual 12 box in storage for a while and going with dual 10's with an amp rack and new amps.. Pretty much a whole new setup, other than the front speakers which are getting relocated to the sails as mid-bass.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I had my amps underneath my Dual 12 T-top box for the longest time. But putting the dual 12 box in storage for a while and going with dual 10's with an amp rack and new amps.. Pretty much a whole new setup, other than the front speakers which are getting relocated to the sails as mid-bass.
Your amp didn't over heat sounds like a good idea
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

^ No.. It gets air. Not a heavy flow, but the slot from the T-top location feeds it. I just don't want people to be able to see anything if they look in with the hatch closed.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

^ I am about to go do this now lol great idea
Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 PM

things to remember before buying amplifiers for car

Glossary

Biamplification
A system that uses separate circuits of amplification to feed the individual speaker components.

Changers
A CD, MiniDisc, DVD or MP3 unit that handles more than one disc--a multiple player.

Channel Separation
Also known as stereo separation, this is the amount of sound that crosses from one audio channel to the other. The higher this decibel spec, the better the separation is between channels.

Distortion
This is a measurement of the deviation from the original signal to the reproduced signal. Distortion is a harsh sounding artifact that negatively alters the signal.

Dynamic Range
The difference between the loudest peak and softest passage. It can also refer to the spectrum between the edge of distortion at the high end of a product's performance and the product's noise floor.

Equalizer
A circuit or program that changes the frequency response of a signal, boosting or cutting selected ranges from the overall response.

Frequency Response
Also listed as Frequency range, is the spectrum of frequencies produced by a product, within a certain tolerance. For example, a frequency response of 30Hz to 18kHz (+/- 3dB) means a product produces all frequencies from 30Hz to 18kHz without dropping or peaking three decibels. The signal below and above that range does drop off more than 3dB, so the range is really the usable spectrum of sound

Head Unit
The usable part of a component that is mounted in the dashboard is commonly referred to as a head unit. It controls the components, either internally or remotely installed, such as a changer mounted in the glove compartment or trunk.

Impedance
Impedance is commonly listed from 4 to 8 ohms, with some ranging from 2 to 16 ohms. This is a technical description of the amount of inductive resistance a speaker offers to the flow of electrical signals from a receiver. Under normal circumstances, impedance bears no relation to sound quality, but many receivers need a minimum of 4 ohms to work properly. A good receiver may work with 2 ohms, but other receivers or amplifiers will automatically shut off or blow a fuse. If you intend to use two pairs of speakers in parallel from the same terminals, choose loudspeakers rated at least 8 ohms. Also note that speaker impedance ratings are nominal, meaning that a speaker may actually fall below its rated impedance at some frequencies.

OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
This refers to the factory-installed system that comes with a car. Many car manufacturers are using name brand products, either standard or part of an upgrade package.

Power requirements
Different speakers take advantage of different physical properties to produce sound. Too much power can damage speakers, but speaker ratings and amplifier ratings don't always tell the whole story. Speakers rated at 100 watts maximum may safely be powered by a 300-watt amplifier, but if you force all 300 watts into the speaker, the sound will cause you pain and damage the speakers. Too little power can also damage a speaker. If you try to play a low-powered amplifier too loudly it can distort the sound waves, and this distortion can destroy a speaker. Power ratings are listed as either "Peak" or "RMS" (Root Mean Square.) Peak listing in the amount of power the equipment can handle momentarily--a sharp drum hit, for example. RMS is a better indication of the overall performance, because it is a measurement of the average sustained power.

Preamp Output
Generally, an RCA jack that sends the signal to an external amplifier--before the signal is amplified internally.

Sensitivity
Also referred to efficiency. This is a measure of how effectively a speaker can convert electrical power from an amplifier into acoustic sound energy. The higher this number, the more sound you will get at a given volume setting. This is typically measured from one meter away from the speaker with an input signal of 2.83 volts (1 watt into 8 ohms) which results in a sound pressure level, listed in decibels.

Signal-to-noise ratio
The ratio between the audio signal and noise floor. A low number indicates that the noise and music are closer together--the higher the number, the less noise is apparent.

Subwoofer
A large speaker component that produces extremely low-frequency signals, usually below 180Hz.

Surround Sound
This covers many different formats that play sound through multiple speakers to simulate the natural sounds from many locations.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

/\ Uh...OK

I mounted my amp last night and got my 4 AWG wire ran. Should be able to finish it up tonight. I made a bracket to hold the back side of the amp up. It is very solid. No more rattling spare....spares are for *****'s.

Name:  IMAG1336.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  149.4 KB

Name:  IMAG1339.jpg
Views: 3546
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  IMAG1340.jpg
Views: 5341
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  IMAG1341.jpg
Views: 2626
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I ran my ground to the same spot on the other side. I've been told to route the ground down, but wondering how much of a difference it'll make to just go right to the rear seatbelt.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Teching In

i dont have a pik of it but i mounted my amp the the box itself. i dont have tints yet but u see absolutely nothing if u look at my trunk(with the trunk flap covering)...i also dont have t tops so it makes my ilfe a lil easier...cars a lil less sexy but watever

girls dont complain

Quick Reply: Best amp monting locations