Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I need to replace my passenger side window motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 141 Posts

Default I need to replace my passenger side window motor

Yesterday, I installed my Autotrix passenger-side window fix kit. The install went well but the window motor still won't work properly. I can hear the relays clicking and I get good voltage at the relays but the window motor will only go up about 2" at a time; same as before the Autotrix mod.

After doing plenty of research on this forum, I realized that my window motor is shot. I emailed Autotrix and they confirmed that so today I ordered a brand new, made in USA Delco window motor.

My question is this: is there any way to remove the old motor without drilling those big holes in my door to get to the rivets? I'll do it if I have to but I'd rather not if there are any other options. Thanks!

Danny
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

No other way than to drill rivets put and replace with new rivets or screws.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ x2..

And do the thermal mod while you're at it.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Exactly... Not really hard, More frustrating than anything (least before i got the magnetic bit )
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, it looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and drill the holes in my door .

gencom, tell me more about the magnetic bit.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i would never think of doing autotrix without a new motor
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

How was GM replacing the motors back when these cars were still under warranty? I know that I had mine replaced under warranty back in 2001. Were the GM service techs drilling holes too?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
How was GM replacing the motors back when these cars were still under warranty? I know that I had mine replaced under warranty back in 2001. Were the GM service techs drilling holes too?
Yes. They drilled out the rivets, put the new motor in and placed rivets again.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done some searching on this topic and I found a thread or two that has some measurements of where to drill these holes. IIRC, they were for a Camaro. Not only that, but the measurements were on the posted picture and they weren't all that clear.

Are the Firebird/TA window rivets in the same spots? Does anyone have the actual measurements (or a good picture) of where to drill these holes. I'm going to try to get my new window motor in this coming week.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dannyual777
...... I emailed Autotrix and they confirmed that so today I ordered a brand new, made in USA Delco window motor.

My question is this: is there any way to remove the old motor without drilling those big holes in my door to get to the rivets? I'll do it if I have to but I'd rather not if there are any other options. Thanks!

Danny
I answered my own question today with a resounding "Yes" !! I used a mirror to look at the rivets from the "doorskin" side of the door. I could see the rivet heads and wondered if I could use a dremel to grind those heads off. I figured that I had nothing to lose so why not try.

I put the dremel through the speaker hole and tied a piece of string around my mirror and hoisted it high up inside the door so that I could see those doorskin-side, round rivet heads. It was tough putting the dremel in the right position since I was looking at the mirror and seeing everything backwards. It was real tough but I just kept at it. Finally the first rivet head was ground off and I knew that it was possible. The top rivet was the most challenging since it required the dremel tool to be at an awkward angle but I just kept at it. Eventually that rivet head succumbed as well.

The next challenge was getting the nuts on the bolts without holes drilled in the door. It was tough but I got all three nuts on. It was tough getting red locktite in there, too. Hopefully I got enough locktite on the threads to keep the nuts from backing off.

This took way longer than just drilling the holes and this process isn't for everyone. I just didn't want to drill the big holes and I was willing to do the extra work.

Anyway, the motor works great and my window goes up and down better than new with the Autotrix wiring kit .

BTW, I ended up buying my USA made Delco window motor from Sam Taylor Buick Caddilac in Fort Walton Beach, FL http://www.samtaylor.com/f_MeetOurDepartments

They do a lot of internet sales because of internet forums like this one. That's where I found out about them. Total cost of the motor shipped to me was $40.90. Did I mention that it's made in the USA? With my Autotrix rewire kit, this motor should last a looooong time.

Last edited by dannyual777; 03-13-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Just drill the center of the rivet out thats the only part thats going through the door the rest is just for support.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyual777

BTW, I ended up buying my USA made Delco window motor from Sam Taylor Buick Caddilac in Fort Walton Beach, FL http://www.samtaylor.com/f_MeetOurDepartments

They do a lot of internet sales because of internet forums like this one. That's where I found out about them. Total cost of the motor shipped to me was $40.90. Did I mention that it's made in the USA? With my Autotrix rewire kit, this motor should last a looooong time.

Im actually in Pensacola, FLA right now working and will have to be in Fort Walton next week. How much was the motor without shipping? cause i can just go by there and pick it up.

My drivers motor Im thinking is going bad....will go down fine but when i try to raise it up....it will go up about 2 inches and stops and then i have to wait and it will go up about 1/2 inch....then wait again...takes almost all freakin day to get the window up.

does that sound like a bad motor?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
Im actually in Pensacola, FLA right now working and will have to be in Fort Walton next week. How much was the motor without shipping? cause i can just go by there and pick it up.

My drivers motor Im thinking is going bad....will go down fine but when i try to raise it up....it will go up about 2 inches and stops and then i have to wait and it will go up about 1/2 inch....then wait again...takes almost all freakin day to get the window up.

does that sound like a bad motor?
That's exactly what mine did. Exactly! Bad motor, no doubt about it.

$31.04 plus tax for the motor without shipping. Not bad at all for a genuine Delco, USA made motor!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm....guess i'll pick me up a motor. Im assuming camaro and firebird use the same part #.

got a part number for me? I need the drivers side. do they have the motors in stock? or should i call?

thanks bud!