Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo help

Trying to decide what to do...
THE CAR: 1999 CAMARO SS- see sig for mods...30,000 miles, existing system is completely factory and the two door speakers have been replaced with new GM units a couple years ago. My car has the single in dash CD player.

I don't want to hack my car all up and I don't listen to super loud music but I do like the occasional bass bumps of the 1990s. My SS has T-tops; therefore, I don't want to lose the capability of t-top storage. I don't race anymore, so weight isn't a concern for me. I was thinking maybe a stealth box or even two stealth boxes, since I took my spare tire out a long time ago.

Maybe one of the speaker kits from Kee Audio would suit my needs? I have read several posts about the stock headunit being absolutely terrible, is that true? Many posts say, simply by changing to a decent, not even a great headunit, that the stock speakers are MUCH better.

Here is what I was wondering:
-Replace the headunit with a CD, mp3... (does everything++++you know the rest).
-Replace the OEM speakers with the KEE AUDIO ULTRA HIGH END SPEAKER KIT
using factory existing wiring and harnesses but replace the Monsoon amp with aftermarket amp; therefore, eliminating the extra need for running new wiring and the mess or the extra wires.
-10" stealth box x 1 or maybe x 2 with own amp

What do you think, advice??
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Frankly... don't. Especially the part about using existing wiring but substituting an aftermarket amp.

It is true that the greatest gain will be from replacing the stock head unit. If you're on a budget and the OEM speakers aren't blown then I would do that first before deciding on additional upgrades. You are likely to find that will sound fairly decent (much better than stock). Then you could add a stealth box, sub and amp for more bass - you'll probably only need one unless you really want to rattle windows.

An intermediate option is replacing the factory speakers after the head unit. If your factory speakers were in good shape, the difference isn't huge but it is noticeable - especially in the clarity from the doors.

The Monsoon amp does a decent job for what it is (small and not hugely powerful). It produces clean amplification when given a clean signal. But if you want to do a full aftermarket system then do it right and forget about using any factory wiring. Get a decent aftermarket amp, use the pre-amp output of your new head unit and run RCA cables from the HU to the amp and new speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. The factory wiring is designed for speaker-level signal for both input and output with the Monsoon amp and is not suitable for building a good aftermarket system.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok...so maybe just adding a single stealth box/amp and a good headunit. I was just looking over Crutchfields site...seems headunits are relatively inexpensive now. They used to be much more back in the day. You can get a very good receiver for a couple hundred nowadays!

Last edited by 99monguse; 07-26-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're looking for strictly an audiophile (no DVD, Nav, etc) receiver/HU, I think the new JVCs are a good value. Don't forget a PAC unit for your steering wheel controls.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1999 Camaros don't have steering wheel controls; therefore, I don't need to worry about that. I don't drive my car very much to be honest, so I don't need navigation or a DVD but I do want the ability to use my mp3, droid, I-pod. Back in 1994-1995 when I was in high school I had a 1992 Formula and I have a Kenwood cassette headunit with a pioneer EQ-6500 10 band equalizer right underneath the headunit. Does anyone use EQs anymore?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even cheaper HUs these days have fairly sophisticated Digital Signal Processors that have digital EQ controls. Many are fully adapted to the IPod but only a few currently have Android support. They may see your Droid as a USB drive, but may not get fully integrated controls/display features. Personally, I just carry around a 32G USB stick between vehicles.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

From an appearance perspective, installing a double DIN HU with a new bezel looks the best (and has nice touch screen control) but a single DIN with an HUMount looks good as well. Single DIN with the typical basic install kit tends to look cheap no matter how good the HU is.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember the posts about installing the double din HUs and having to relocate the HVAC controls and having to fabricate new trim bezels, is that still the case now?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There is no need to do anything with the HVAC controls. You can buy the modified trim bezel from Double D Mods: http://shop.doubledmods.com/Camaro-D...97-02_c603.htm. Once installed, it has a "factory" look that still looks contemporary.