Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 04:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

push button start install - plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default push button start install - plz help!

i ordered and recieved a universal push button start system. came with button, relay (4 pin 30A), cut on/off switch, and 3 aux switches. the button confuses me. it has 4 ports. i assume i will only be needing to use 3. which 3, is beyond me. electrical is on not my forte. that being said i followed the write up that a fellow member on here made. i believe the link for it was something like bowlings.com ? anyway he used a honda s2000 button, and did not install a cut on/off switch. i followed his directions as best i could as he wasnt as specific as i wouldve liked. but i believe all my wiring is right, minus maybe which wire goes to where on the relay, and in the back of the switches. i know that all of my connections and grounds are good. the first time i wired it up i followed his wiring diagram. which is this:

now this way did not work at all for me. i got nthing from the starter. and the LED lights in the switches and button did not work. i rewired it differently using this diagram:

now the LED lights work in the switches and button. but still nothing from the starter. ill give pics of my wiring.

but in my mind, here is what could possibly be wrong: the relay is no good. the button is no good. its wired wrong. im thinking that its the later of the 3. i know its not a fuse or the starter becuase i can hook the yellow wire back up and the car starts right up. some one please point out my mistake. (with the exception of buying the universal switch, or attempting to install it... for all you sarcastics out there)
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you hear the relay click when you hit start button, if not the relay isnt wired correct
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
can you hear the relay click when you hit start button, if not the relay isnt wired correct
No clicking, but when I test for current, I have my pin hooked to a ground, it will click when I touch the red wire (12v+ from batt) I guessed the ground was insaficcient. But I just made it impeckable, so it's not my ground either :/
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

So the black wire goes directly to a ground, and the lighter blue wire across from it is being fed 12v from your button right? If it doesn't click, one of those isn't happening properly.

If it does click and doesn't start, I'd assume you have the wrong half of the cut yellow wire.

P.S. Your leg looks like it could belong to Sasquatch.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Found it! It was the freakin push start button! Faulty. And brand new...
Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the S2000 push button start if you were interested. 50 shipped.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I have the S2000 push button start if you were interested. 50 shipped.
thanks for the offer but i alerady bought another one off ebay. and the seller of the faulty one is shipping me a new one free.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you get this finished? Really curious how it turned out. Vid?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can i buy a push bottom kit at? Prices?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Side note - Please please clean up that wiring, use the PROPER connectors!

Wire Nuts have NO PLACE in a car!

You're honestly asking to have a wire short, burn out, and light the car on fire with wiring like that.

Proper pre-insulated crimp connectors; and/or solder/heatshrink connections.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Did you get this finished? Really curious how it turned out. Vid?
turned out great! ill try to take some pics of my switch panel soon for yall. never got any vids sorry.

Originally Posted by lemons12
Where can i buy a push bottom kit at? Prices?
get on ebay. there are a whole lot. good prices. dont cheap though, youll notice a difference in quality. i ended up buying 2 kits because i was so unhappy with the first. i tihnk my second kit i bough ran inbetween 60-80 but catnt say for sure. that was a while ago.

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Side note - Please please clean up that wiring, use the PROPER connectors!

Wire Nuts have NO PLACE in a car!

You're honestly asking to have a wire short, burn out, and light the car on fire with wiring like that.

Proper pre-insulated crimp connectors; and/or solder/heatshrink connections.
no worries. that was just for ease to get the system running. had a few different wiring maps, and didnt want any exposed wire in the trial period. all wiring has been soldered, and silicone shrink wrapped. DAD was an electrician. had him help me not to make a mess soldering. lol

and sorry response took so long. been up to my eyeballs in books. medical school isnt a benefactor for an aspiring hobbyist mechanic!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

All good man, please post some pics of the setup. I've wanted to do this forever.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the safty feature on this? Id hate for Joe Shmoe to hop in my car and flip the switch ahah. this is a pretty bad *** idea in my opinion. i would do this! PLEASE show pictures when everything is finallized and a video! im really anxious!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
All good man, please post some pics of the setup. I've wanted to do this forever.
This weekend guys. Lol i literally just finished bedliner-ing the entire interior and i need new carpet and seats reaphulstered yet, but i have redone my switch panel yet again... And ive got to say... My pants get a bit tight when i think about this new set up. Its bad ***!!! Lol

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
What is the safty feature on this? Id hate for Joe Shmoe to hop in my car and flip the switch ahah. this is a pretty bad *** idea in my opinion. i would do this! PLEASE show pictures when everything is finallized and a video! im really anxious!
Well im not sure about your car, but mine has the steering wheel lock. You still need the key to be able to steer or remove the car from park. Also ti wired the system to have to be turned on in accessory mode for the power to run. Thirdly i have a safety switch. Lol it may be a bit impractical in this sense, but still cool factor has enponentialized all the same. Lol give me until friday. I will deliver possibly the coolest/(not overly done)/classy switch panel an ls1 transam has ever seen.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Numba20
This weekend guys. Lol i literally just finished bedliner-ing the entire interior and i need new carpet and seats reaphulstered yet, but i have redone my switch panel yet again... And ive got to say... My pants get a bit tight when i think about this new set up. Its bad ***!!! Lol

Well im not sure about your car, but mine has the steering wheel lock. You still need the key to be able to steer or remove the car from park. Also ti wired the system to have to be turned on in accessory mode for the power to run. Thirdly i have a safety switch. Lol it may be a bit impractical in this sense, but still cool factor has enponentialized all the same. Lol give me until friday. I will deliver possibly the coolest/(not overly done)/classy switch panel an ls1 transam has ever seen.
That's actually pretty nice, I thought you had some special voodoo that you use.to.get it to start ;D so all you gotta do is.insert key rotate to accessory and push the.button? I think I will be down for that! And if the panel looks good I may just pay you to Fab me.one
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
That's actually pretty nice, I thought you had some special voodoo that you use.to.get it to start ;D so all you gotta do is.insert key rotate to accessory and push the.button? I think I will be down for that! And if the panel looks good I may just pay you to Fab me.one
Yeah its pretty simple. Lol and it aint hard to do! Just get a small sheet of galvanized metal, cut your holes, and paint it to match, put in the switches and wire it up!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Bedliner is slopped on. I need to clean it up, and car is in pieces, but the plate is in. Ill get a vid up for yall sometime this weekend. And ill explain and depict my set up for yall if you want to steal some ideas. Lol
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Numba20

Bedliner is slopped on. I need to clean it up, and car is in pieces, but the plate is in. Ill get a vid up for yall sometime this weekend. And ill explain and depict my set up for yall if you want to steal some ideas. Lol
Umm, you put bedliner on the interior panels? Wow, that's unique...and I don't like. I thought you were doing the interior metal, to help with sound deadening.

But, to each their own.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Umm, you put bedliner on the interior panels? Wow, that's unique...and I don't like. I thought you were doing the interior metal, to help with sound deadening.

But, to each their own.
Pics dont realy do it justice... Its will look like regular black interior with a bit of a rougher texture when i finish. Its virtually bullet proof, water proof and wont allow anything to crack. Plus u can cover everything for around $100. Ill just need carpet and seats redone. And if for some reason any is ever scraped off, touch ups are a breeze.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Bedliner? Why? Why? Blows my mind....

Quick Reply: push button start install - plz help!