Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PYLE PLPW6D 6.5" 600W Dual Voice Coil 4-Ohm Car Audio Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PYLE PLPW6D 6.5" 600W Dual Voice Coil 4-Ohm Car Audio Subwoofer

Has anyone seen these subs ? They are 4ohm dual voice coil so they should work pretty well with the Monsoon systems right ? Let me know what you guys think !
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Pyle I believe is along the same lines as entry level Dual subs. Good is a relative term, if you currently do not have a sub, it will sound better. If your looking for reliable, durable and really deep bass tones, I personally would upgrade some. If it's price, there are plenty of resources on the vendors section to help you make your choice. If your just looking to get started with a sub, it can't hurt if this is the first, but it is not a performance beast.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im just looking for a replacement sub for the Monsoon sail panel speakers. It needs to sounds as good as the stock speaker at least.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pyle would be exactly what it sounds like....a pile.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I can get them if someone wants to try them out
Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Double D Im glad you chimed in . I went to your site and found the speakers I want. I want a pair of the DVC Bazookas . That is the correct price range and everything. The Pyles look really nice but you get what you pay for these days. I know for sure I will like the Bazookas. There is only a 50/50 shot I will like the Pyles. I would really like to hear a camaro/firebird with those Pyles in them though. Im curious to know what they sound like.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would stay far away from anything and everything in the Pyle lineup. VERY low end equipment imho.

You want a NICE set of speakers for your car with fantastic value? Look at the Image Dynamics 6.5" CTX series/HAT Imagine/Polk MM6501's and get a smaller amp to power them. Way better than pyle/bazooka/etc.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Double D Im glad you chimed in . I went to your site and found the speakers I want. I want a pair of the DVC Bazookas . That is the correct price range and everything. The Pyles look really nice but you get what you pay for these days. I know for sure I will like the Bazookas. There is only a 50/50 shot I will like the Pyles. I would really like to hear a camaro/firebird with those Pyles in them though. Im curious to know what they sound like.

Your welcome
Thanks for looking.
I am still going to order in a set of the Pyle ones on my next order to see what they are like. I like the Pyle rear cameras we use
I like to have all kinds of options for all price points for those of you who have different budgets!

I just got a pallet full of Bazooka about an hour ago
All orders will be shipping tomorrow
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Those things are crap. I saw those very "subs" on ebay today .... because I too am in the market for some 6.5s. I have an audiobahn 10 driven by a 170w rms 4 ch amp (bridged-mono from 2 channels) that I was going to do a series parallel configuration. I cross over pretty fricken low around 60hz as well and was thinking that I would pop those pyles pretty quick. I think I'll be going with those bazookas.

Stay away from crap.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember back in the early 90's we built a spec box for a pair of 15" Pyles for my buddy's Citation. The system was worth way more than the car but damn did those subs hit! That was back when they were decent I guess.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

That's so funny. Back in 91 i had a Citation with 4 Rockford Fosgate 12's. My first Sub was an 8in Pyle, sucked.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2quickLS1
That's so funny. Back in 91 i had a Citation with 4 Rockford Fosgate 12's. My first Sub was an 8in Pyle, sucked.
That's awesome! I just saw an old lady driving a Citation the other day, thing was in good shape too.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Launching!

old thread, just ordered 2 of these pyles of.. to replace the blown bose speakers in my 95.. will post up how it worked.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to bring this back up anyone using these? did they directly fit with no problems? last long? decent sound?

Last edited by MdFormula350; 04-07-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 AM

Default PYLE subs as replacement for Monsoon system subs

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Has anyone seen these subs ? They are 4ohm dual voice coil so they should work pretty well with the Monsoon systems right ? Let me know what you guys think !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can pay little to no attention to naysayers about using those. using the factory Monsoon amp is fine with these. Notice those other people always state something like, "Man I tried using them with a 2 million watt amp and they didn't last".

There is nothing wrong with the Monsoon system. They play what you want to hear with plenty of volume and with great fidelity. They have the warmth of a '70s Marantz home stereo. Keep in mind that people you pass by aren't interested in hearing what you are listening to.

I installed the Pyle's in my 97 Firebird Formula. I didn't reuse the paper backing ring off the Delco subs though, Instead I applied black self-stick weatherstripping (have no idea where I got three large rolls of it). It was tricky to get the screws back in, they went a a slight angle, a bit of a hole pattern difference. They sound just like the factory subs. Neither too much or too little bass. You're on the right track.

I removed the factory wiring harnesses from the Delco's and soldered them onto the PYLE's (solid red wire to Positive teminals).

If you need to replace the door speakers (like I did), a good choice is the JBL GTO628. They are 2 ohm like the originals. Don't be alarmed by the box as they are marked with a head unit icon with 4 ohms, this means they work with systems requiring 4 ohm speakers. The specs say they are 2 ohms. I checked mine with a Fluke multi-meter and they read 2.4 ohms. The nice thing about these is that the tweeter wiring runs externally to the crossover on the back of the basket. I un-soldered them and extended the wiring so I could tap into the factory door tweeter wiring. You'll want to move the crossover capacitor from the back of the speakers and place them inline with the wiring where you tap into the factory door tweeter wiring (putting them in series with just the red wire). Now I have dual door tweeters and they sound awesome. I tuned the new tweeters toward the passengers (they are rotate-able). About $50 a pair discount price.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom4049
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can pay little to no attention to naysayers about using those. using the factory Monsoon amp is fine with these. Notice those other people always state something like, "Man I tried using them with a 2 million watt amp and they didn't last".

There is nothing wrong with the Monsoon system. They play what you want to hear with plenty of volume and with great fidelity. They have the warmth of a '70s Marantz home stereo. Keep in mind that people you pass by aren't interested in hearing what you are listening to.

I installed the Pyle's in my 97 Firebird Formula. I didn't reuse the paper backing ring off the Delco subs though, Instead I applied black self-stick weatherstripping (have no idea where I got three large rolls of it). It was tricky to get the screws back in, they went a a slight angle, a bit of a hole pattern difference. They sound just like the factory subs. Neither too much or too little bass. You're on the right track.

I removed the factory wiring harnesses from the Delco's and soldered them onto the PYLE's (solid red wire to Positive teminals).
I've got to agree with you, they are a good option for factory replacements. Their magnet, voice coil, and overall construction are all very close to the blow out stock subs that the car came with. I also used some weather striping that I had laying around and I crimped spade connectors onto the wiring off the stock ones. It made for a quick, clean, and easy install. My wife has been abusing them for about 2 months now and they're holding up fine. I'm sure they're not an upgrade but they are a good cheap replacement, I think I paid under $20 each for them off Amazon.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM

I just put these in the sail panels and thought I'd comment.

I got the screw holes to line up with no modification. I squished down the stock captive nuts with pliers so they would fit tighter and not fall off (after dropping one behind the panel and fishing it out with a magnet.) They move enough to line up with holes on these speakers.

The rubber seal is on the front of the speaker and needs to be on the back since the speakers mount from outside the hole. I carefully peeled the 4 sections off the front and glued them onto the back side of the speaker frame. (Trimmed a little off the ends so they would fit.)

Right off, they sound kind of muffled compared to stock and not as punchy. Maybe they'll get better after they break in, but if not they're good enough. Cheap, easy replacement for a blown speaker. I plan to upgrade the head unit and all the speakers later, but I'm happy with these for now.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Teching In

I know this thread is 3 months old, but I wanted to verify something. Is there any reason these subs wouldn't also work with the Camaro Monsoon system, if properly wired for 2 ohm?

EDIT:
Wow, I'm glad these were only 12 bucks each. IMO, they sound absolutely terrible with the monsoon system. For some reason, they sound like they're accentuating the higher notes, rather than playing lows. The stockers sounded WAY better. I have an early 98, which makes it the smaller, weaker amp, maybe that has something to do with it. I dunno.

I double, and triple checked I had them wired correctly for 2 ohm, lined the opening with closed-cell weatherstripping, and mounted them.

I previously had a pair of Fosgate R1675x2 coaxials installed. I couldn't get them to fit in the doors, but they fit perfectly in the sails. I didn't even seal these, and basically just had them screwed directly into the metal. They sounded SO much better. These things would hit lows, and had a really detailed midbass. But, being 4-ohm, the volume just wasn't there.

Looking at these Pyles, they appear to be very beefy for a 6" speaker, but the bass is all over the place...boomy, resonant (in a bad way), and doesn't go very low. I'm thinking of throwing the Fosgates back into the now properly sealed openings, and hoping for louder output.

Last edited by cam94z28; 10-04-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Just to update this thread...................THESE SPEAKERS ARE terrible! They sound like crap! I ordered 2 and both came BENT! I straightened the frames
and tried them......UGGGG

DON"T WASTE ANY MONEY ON THESE!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Get Bazooka, you wont be disappointed

Quick Reply: PYLE PLPW6D 6.5" 600W Dual Voice Coil 4-Ohm Car Audio Subwoofer