Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1994 camaro fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 camaro fog lamps

i have stock fog lamps! im trying to go to LED bulbs is this an easy process? if so any recommendations on bulobs im going for red? yes i said it red fog light bulbs i think itll give my car a neat edge, is this possible? if so any recommended sites?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Possible, yes. Legal or smart, hell no. Forward facing red lights are a bad idea. It will attract attention from police and confuse/concern other motorists.

Besides that, none of the drop-in LEDs are that great for fog lights or head lights (especially the multi-led ones).
Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 AM

Hmm ok. I actually talked to a friend after posting this turns out its illegal in my state PA. ANYWAY! I dont understand what you mean. Of i do decide to go LED for fog lights i shouldnt get ones that just plug in? what do you recommend im trying to get brighter lights maybe the cool white since i could seemore.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Seeing more with brighter fog lights is a fallacy and the wrong use of fog lights. To see better at night, you do not want more light directly in front of the vehicle which is where fog lights put it. That is counter-productive. You want better lighting farther down the road so that you can see things in time to do something about them. Bright lighting directly in front of the car causes your pupils to contract making your night vision for more distant objects even worse.

Also, proper fog lights create a beam that is flat and low to the ground with a distinct upper cutoff edge. This is because they are intended to put the light low enough to cut under fog or precipitation without reflecting up into the driver's eyes. The lamp housing, reflector and lens are designed to do this with the light source (the bulb filament) in a very specific position. VIP1's comment about the plug in LED bulbs for fog lights refers to the fact that the tower of LEDs on them creates a light source that is nothing at all like that of a halogen bulb, causing the beam pattern to be seriously degraded.

Just a further comment on red lights... both red and blue lights on the front of a vehicle are illegal in all jurisdictions in the US (probably in Canada as well). This is not a ticket offense - it's a handcuffs and haul off to jail offense called impersonating a police officer. We almost had one of our motorcycle group arrested last weekend because of the decorative red and blue LEDs he had installed on his bike. We managed to talk the LEO out of it and he promised to turn them off except for shows (off road).
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Seeing more with brighter fog lights is a fallacy and the wrong use of fog lights. To see better at night, you do not want more light directly in front of the vehicle which is where fog lights put it. That is counter-productive. You want better lighting farther down the road so that you can see things in time to do something about them. Bright lighting directly in front of the car causes your pupils to contract making your night vision for more distant objects even worse.

Also, proper fog lights create a beam that is flat and low to the ground with a distinct upper cutoff edge. This is because they are intended to put the light low enough to cut under fog or precipitation without reflecting up into the driver's eyes. The lamp housing, reflector and lens are designed to do this with the light source (the bulb filament) in a very specific position. VIP1's comment about the plug in LED bulbs for fog lights refers to the fact that the tower of LEDs on them creates a light source that is nothing at all like that of a halogen bulb, causing the beam pattern to be seriously degraded.

Just a further comment on red lights... both red and blue lights on the front of a vehicle are illegal in all jurisdictions in the US (probably in Canada as well). This is not a ticket offense - it's a handcuffs and haul off to jail offense called impersonating a police officer. We almost had one of our motorcycle group arrested last weekend because of the decorative red and blue LEDs he had installed on his bike. We managed to talk the LEO out of it and he promised to turn them off except for shows (off road).

oh wow thanks for the knowledge! i didnt know it was that serious
Old 09-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Whitebird00 covered it.

What are you trying to accomplish? Better lighting in general? Better fog lights only? Appearance?

Check out the Lighting FAQ for a head start:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 09-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by VIP1
Whitebird00 covered it.

What are you trying to accomplish? Better lighting in general? Better fog lights only? Appearance?

Check out the Lighting FAQ for a head start:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

trying to go for appearance, i have a red camaro f-body and wanted red foglights maybe give it an angry edgy look, but their illegal. so now i was thinking either cool white LED's. but i really dont know, like i said i want it to look good
Old 09-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If you don't care about output, then just buy what fits (but isn't too bright).

Quick Reply: 1994 camaro fog lamps