Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bluetooth options on a 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bluetooth options on a 4th Gen?

I'd like to stream music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, are there any easy ways to this on a 4th Gen?

I have a 99 Camaro with the CD autochanger in the boot (trunk).

In another car I have, I bought a 'Grom' unit. All you do is pull the headunit, unplug the CD autochanger and plug in the Grom. It's just a small box, but substitutes the CD player for Bluetooth. The CD controls for next track work the same still, just the music comes from a different source.

http://gromaudio.com/

Does anyone make anything similar that will work with the Delco unit in my Camaro?

This is the headunit and changer:

Name:  6AFEF803-DE76-497C-B8AE-F026AB92199C.jpg
Views: 3193
Size:  2.12 MB

Name:  BBBB4D70-8BFA-47F0-8B7E-332430654423.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  3.02 MB
Old 07-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about trying this out myself.

http://pac-audio.com/catalog/ipod-an...ation/ISFM2351

I installed an aftermarket head unit but it sounded like crap through the factory Monsoon system so I put my factory head unit back in.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are better options. I don't usually recommend it because it requires having the external CD changer installed (not just having CD changer compatibility) but the PAC AAI-GM9 plugs into your CD changer harness and allows you to run the changer plus two other auxiliary inputs (it has a 3-position switch to select input). Bluetooth adapters that plug into auxiliary inputs are available everywhere so you could have your changer, a phone with Bluetooth and another device such as an MP3 player all connected and selectable. The adapter is around $35 and Bluetooth auxiliary adapters are around $25 so they end up costing half of what the ISFM2351 costs with much better sound since it's direct input rather than FM modulation.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are better options. I don't usually recommend it because it requires having the external CD changer installed (not just having CD changer compatibility) but the PAC AAI-GM9 plugs into your CD changer harness and allows you to run the changer plus two other auxiliary inputs (it has a 3-position switch to select input). Bluetooth adapters that plug into auxiliary inputs are available everywhere so you could have your changer, a phone with Bluetooth and another device such as an MP3 player all connected and selectable. The adapter is around $35 and Bluetooth auxiliary adapters are around $25 so they end up costing half of what the ISFM2351 costs with much better sound since it's direct input rather than FM modulation.
Thanks, I like the idea of this. So you essentially plug it in the head unit and couple the CD changer to it and then any other devices you want?

Do you have any recommendations on Bluetooth adapters that will work well with these.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There aren't many Bluetooth adapters that are 12V hard-wired and the ones that are available are generally for music streaming only - no phone calls. If that is sufficient for you then the JL Audio MBT-RX is probably your best choice. It's more expensive ($55) but gets good reviews and comes from a well-known company.

If you want phone call capability, you'll be limited to battery operated (pain in the butt) or cigarette plug adapters. You can hard-wire a cigarette plug adapter by installing a loose socket behind the console (basically a cigarette lighter socket encased in a plastic housing with red and black wires to splice into a power source in the car... available at any auto parts store). Don't assume that you can just take off the lighter plug that comes with the adapter and wire direct because the plug often includes a built-in transformer to reduce the voltage. I don't have any recommendation for brand because I've never had to buy one.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Launching!

You can use external bluetooth units that handle calls and audio streaming, but they have some draw backs. Take a look at the Parrot brand, and you'll get an idea of what is available. There are a few other manufacturers, but I've had good experiences with Parrot's products.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Reviving a dead thread here... Will both of these work together?
Amazon Amazon
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-aUEBfM...QaArUXEALw_wcB

I believe they're the exact models you mentioned in this thread, however I also saw something about a 3-position switch to select the input and I can't seem to find that.

Thanks in advance, I'll try to do more research still and will post again if I am able to answer my own question.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, those two devices will work fine together. However, they will only work with your car if you have the optional external CD changer installed (the AAI-GM9 requires a working external changer).
The following users liked this post:
BlueHawk172 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Yes, those two devices will work fine together. However, they will only work with your car if you have the optional external CD changer installed (the AAI-GM9 requires a working external changer).
I do have the 12 disc external CD changer. Will I be plugging the AAI-GM9 into the back of my head unit or into the CD changer? And am I correct in assuming the #4 button on the head unit will still change the audio source?
Both are arriving this weekend and I hope to get it installed and tested by Tuesday 😁
Old 07-29-2022, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The adapter will plug into the back of your head unit between the CD changer cable from the back of the car and the CD changer port on the back of the HU. Your source button (CD/AUX in Camaro or PLAY in Firebird) will still switch between sources as always, but now the AAI-GM9 will be the device activated for changer port. I have heard conflicting reports about whether the external CD changer will work at all, even though it must remain connected. Some say it becomes just one of the three switch positions of the adapter while others say it stops working and only auxiliary inputs (phone, Bluetooth adapter, MP3 player, or whatever you connect to the RCA ports) will work. I've never had one to try it myself since I went to a double DIN head unit as soon as modified bezels became available. It would be helpful if you could report back whether the external changer still works with the AAI-GM9 adapter installed.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Default It works

Thanks for all the help with this project... I was finally able to find the time to do this today.. Can confirm both products work together perfectly and I am still able to access the 12 disc in the back! The 3 position switch is more of - Aux 1, Aux2, off - and when off is selected it defaults to the 12 disc.

Unfortunately I had to wire the bluetooth adapter to my spare ignition port on the fuse box because it seems I don't have an Accery one and I didn't feel like having it connected to the battery 24/7... I may look into a fuse tap and piggybacking on the radio accry fuse, but I opted not to go that route for now because I wasn't sure I would be able to close the fuse box cover with that.. I'll try it later and update my results, but for now I can live with bluetooth only when car is running!
Old 08-09-2022, 06:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Your other option would be to use a Scotch Lock type connector to tap into the radio harness. You'd want to tap into the yellow wire in the black 10-pin connector... that way the adapter would be powered anytime the radio was, which is really what you're looking for. Plus it's close and easily accessible to the adapter.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:04 AM
Teching In

I wish I would have thought of that sooner.. My mind was set on an Accessory fuse spot and that's all I thought of. I actually mounted the Bluetooth adapter next to the fuse box right above the hood release because it came with such a short power cable and I didn't feel like extending it. It's a great spot for it though, able to run the wire up so it can't be seen and the adapter itself is out of sight out of mind.

I just moved out of my parents so I'm slowly dealing with the fact I don't have all my dads tools anymore 🤣 Plus it was 97 with a heat index 105 and I couldn't even open the drivers door all the way in my garage 🙃 All said that's a very easy modification to bring our outdated cars some new comforts with today's tech... I'd still be burning CDs for the 12 disc but the girlfriend has been asking for bluetooth for a year 😅 I meant to take a ton of pictures to help with a write up, but honestly it's a very straight forward job. The most important part is checking it all works before you shove it back in and confirming your L R audio channels are correct. Thanks again for helping others out with this so I could piggyback, I never would have figured out what adapters or bluetooth unit to use on my own
Old 08-09-2022, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Quick Reply: Bluetooth options on a 4th Gen?