Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge wiring

just installed a autometer Colbalt oil pressure gauge(electric) I’ve connected the red 12v wire to the IGN port on the fuse block and the ground to a ground under the hood,The white wire off the gauge to the brown wire on the headlight switch. So the problem I’m having is when I turn the car on and turned the headlight switch on it dosent dim,but if I turn the car on with the headlight already on it dims. So pretty much my lights have to be on already before i start the car for the gauge to dim. And yes all my “factory gauges” work and they all dim with the dimmer switch. Any help is appreciated-John

Last edited by jb02ss; 01-14-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm assuming you want to be able to control the light in the new gauge with the other dash lights. Sounds like the brown wire from the light switch that you've connected to is powering the external lights and is not controlled by the dimmer switch. You need to find the gray wire from fuse #16 of Instrument Panel Fuse Block. I've attached a set of schematics marked up to help show you the path of the circuit to aid in finding the correct wire.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
InstrPnlLights.pdf (223.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by peterpar
I'm assuming you want to be able to control the light in the new gauge with the other dash lights. Sounds like the brown wire from the light switch that you've connected to is powering the external lights and is not controlled by the dimmer switch. You need to find the gray wire from fuse #16 of Instrument Panel Fuse Block. I've attached a set of schematics marked up to help show you the path of the circuit to aid in finding the correct wire.
Sorry, no. This gauge is not designed to have variable dimming like the dash lights. It is more like most head units - it uses a simple on/off signal from the lights to determine whether to run full brightness or a pre-determined dimmer level. That's what the brown wire provides - it has power when the lights are on and none when the lights are off. The grey wire provides variable voltage based on the rheostat in the dimmer switch.

This issue sounds like a problem with the gauge itself... it dims if the lights are already on when it starts but not if the lights are turned on later. I suggest calling the manufacturer to get support.

Quick Reply: Gauge wiring