Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs

Ignoring brand names.... cuz thats already decided for each type

I have 4 mb quart qsd 216 6 1/2"s with crossovers as my components so those already scream, I just need subs for some bass thrown in, which setup do you guys think I should go with.

should i go with 3 10" subs, 2 12"s or 2 15"s ?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

IMO, 2 10s would be plenty, but if you really want THAT much bass you should consider this: the 10s will give you a lot of loud, tight bass... the 12s will give you a good range of bass, but not be as accurate as the 10s... the 15s are just gonna be bass-y (i know thats not a word...lol). i just dont think id ever use 15s, especially not in an f-bod... but if thats what you just want to be loud and obnoxious and the quality of the sound doesnt really matter, i guess they'd work. just my .02
Old 09-27-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too bad you're not near seattle. I have the exact setup you have with 2 10" eclipse subs. It all sounds sooooooo clear.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RacecarRob
Ignoring brand names.... cuz thats already decided for each type

I have 4 mb quart qsd 216 6 1/2"s with crossovers as my components so those already scream, I just need subs for some bass thrown in, which setup do you guys think I should go with.

should i go with 3 10" subs, 2 12"s or 2 15"s ?
Well, if you go with 2 subs they are easier to wire up over that of 3 so that's something to keep in mind.

Personally I feel it comes down to what you can physically fit. Two 15's is getting tight in a fbody but two 12's works out nicely. If you can fit the 12's and have the airspace for them then I'd suggest going with them since they are a nice size to go with for the most part.

HTH!

Ted
Old 09-27-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Three 10s will not be louder than two 12s. The only way you can have a change you can hear is to double your wattage or cone surface area. So if your going to do 10s just do two and dont waste your money. 12s are a great compromise between tight sound and low frequency response.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maddboost
Three 10s will not be louder than two 12s. The only way you can have a change you can hear is to double your wattage or cone surface area. So if your going to do 10s just do two and dont waste your money. 12s are a great compromise between tight sound and low frequency response.
The cone surface area of three 10's is more than two 12's (generally speaking) if you want to get technical here:

Three 10's - 235.5 sq inches
Two 12's - 226.08 sq inches

I'm speaking of speakers of the same brand when I make that statment though. We can go and get the Sd piston area spec of speakers and get more specific if you'd like but there are other factors to put into this. Efficencies of the drivers, box size, box config., xmax... A lot of factors that play in. Overall it's hard to say without getting more details.

I agree with you, two 12's is the way to go insted of three 10's. That is unless you want to have three 10's across the back but if you squeeze things in right you can get three 12's back there but wiring them up can be a pain like I mentioned before.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

While a larger cone area does mean it is moving more air, it doesnt mean that you can actually hear a difference. Normally for the average human ear to hear a change in sound it has to be 3 dbs. To change 3 dbs you need to either double your cone area or wattage. So 3 10s will not sound louder than 2 12s, now the human brain does trick people regularly but I have done testing of this in our shop with an SPL meter when I was bored one day and did verify it.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Teching In

that is correct to hear a difference (3DB) you have to DUBLE the cone space or duble the power.

Now how much power are you giving the MB quarts? what subs are you getting? what amp are you using? You need to match up the system you cant just pick blind.

that said it also depends on the music you like and the type of bass. 10's are punchy and hit quick and accurate. 12 are middle ground generally have good response and some can get deep. 15 are gonna be the slow sloppy hitting DEEEP bass.

if you only like rock get 10's if you only like rap 15's work 12's are in the middle and work with both. now dependng on the subs some 10's can get deep and sound awesome with rap too.

run at least a 1-2watt/10 watt ratio with subs to highs.

100-150 RMS x 4 on highs to 1000-1500 RMS on subs is a good ratio. I am asuming your going with a pretty big system here.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Teching In

yea I used to have the solo-baric l7s(the squares) in my durango and those hit real nice but I sold them when I sold that suv. I'm thinking of going with 2 JL 12w7s because they sound sweet with good response time and awesome bass for 12"s.

As for my mb quarts I'm giving them the rms of 75 watts