Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rockford fosgate amp problems...please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rockford fosgate amp problems...please help

is there any one out who can tell me why? or what the problem is.....my problem i am having is....Why is the fuse on the amplifier always blowing out on me and why is the amplifier always overheating......please help...
Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Usually due to a ohm load on the amp much lower then it was built to handle. Could also be a bad transistor (or several for that matter).
Old 12-21-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you have it wired? go to rockfordfosgate.com and you can send a message to one of their techies, they get back to you in a day, what amp/sub combo are you using?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cjnaputi
is there any one out who can tell me why? or what the problem is.....my problem i am having is....Why is the fuse on the amplifier always blowing out on me and why is the amplifier always overheating......please help...
Make sure you are using the correct fuse rating also. But if the amp is running hot, sounds like an ohm load is too much for the amp to handle. Make sure your power and ground cables are the right size for the wattage you are using also.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Teching In

i am using for my amp a Rockford Fosgate Punch Amplifier 700X/2ohms...
and for my subs i am using 15inch Kicker Stillwater...
Old 12-22-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

if im not mistaken, i think that the 700x is 2 ohms stereo, and 4 ohms mono
Old 12-24-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cjnaputi
i am using for my amp a Rockford Fosgate Punch Amplifier 700X/2ohms...
and for my subs i am using 15inch Kicker Stillwater...

Two 4 ohm subs wired in a parrallel configuration on a bridged amplifier will read 1 ohm at the amp. That is too low. You can either wire one per channel since its a two channel amp or you can wire then in series and bridge the amp. Both of them will give you a 4ohm load and that should take care of any heating issue. If your using the right gauge power cable (I recommend 4 gauge) and you have good ground this should fix the problem. If the amp still over heats with the gain properly adjusted then you have a transistor problem.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

I also had this problem with my Kenwood (model KAC8101D). The fuse would constantly blow and after a couple minutes of strong bass it would overheat and shut off. I was using a 40 amp fuse (which is what it needed), however I think the wiring kit was rated for 750 or 800 watts, while the amp was a 1k watt amp. I think that might have been the culprit. btw it was powering two JL W3's, on per channel.

Quick Reply: rockford fosgate amp problems...please help