Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

$300 bucks to spend, any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question $300 bucks to spend, any suggestions???

Ok, I have about $300 to spend on a sound system for my 99 firebird. I have an aftermarket head unit that puts out 52x4 rms, and the stock monsoon system. I just want to replace the speakers for now, mainly the back ones. Could anyone offer me some suggestions as far as what to get for the rear and front speakers??? Thank you!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99firebird44
Ok, I have about $300 to spend on a sound system for my 99 firebird. I have an aftermarket head unit that puts out 52x4 rms, and the stock monsoon system. I just want to replace the speakers for now, mainly the back ones. Could anyone offer me some suggestions as far as what to get for the rear and front speakers??? Thank you!
For the subs, get a good midbass driver. Search ebay for them. I am going to go with the audiobahn AMD60 3ohm drivers. As far as the front ones, its really up to you, many people use differnet types. I have not got that far yet and am still searching it out.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
For the subs, get a good midbass driver. Search ebay for them. I am going to go with the audiobahn AMD60 3ohm drivers. As far as the front ones, its really up to you, many people use differnet types. I have not got that far yet and am still searching it out.
Easiest replacements for the front/sail panels are any good 6 3/4" speakers. I'm using some RFs I had laying around and they are adequate. With 6 3/4" you wont need adapter brackets anywhere, all your stock cutouts will work just fine.
I wanted to try the Polk db750's but the RFs I had laying around fit perfectly so I used the $$$ elsewhere. You should be able to get 4 good speakers for $250 retail, with some ebaying/bargain hunting you'll have enough left for other goodies.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont use the Audiobahns, you need a subwoffer not a midbass driver. see the other thread about replacing Monsoon speakers
Old 12-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Teching In

has anyone ever tried the audiobahns? I mean, they have a 3 ohm impedence so it cant be that bad can it???
Old 12-26-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Dont use the Audiobahns, you need a subwoffer not a midbass driver. see the other thread about replacing Monsoon speakers
I read that post and am not knocking it. I am just saying you guys are talking about the ohm load and not being able to get a 2ohm driver in that size. This is the only woofer I have seen that even gets close, and has a 93 sensitivity rating. I have seen some of the guys using the RF's, but I do not use RF. I have had nothing but bad luck with them and quit using them years ago.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I read that post and am not knocking it. I am just saying you guys are talking about the ohm load and not being able to get a 2ohm driver in that size. This is the only woofer I have seen that even gets close, and has a 93 sensitivity rating. I have seen some of the guys using the RF's, but I do not use RF. I have had nothing but bad luck with them and quit using them years ago.
the RF's dont exist anymore unfortunately .... check out the last 2 page of the thread above someone already tried the audiobahns and they sucked
Old 12-27-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

If you can swing a little extra check out the focal 165ca's for the front, some focal 100ca's for the back and some kind of sub for the sail panels, you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

check out my sig. alpines sound awsome
Old 12-28-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cjacks7
If you can swing a little extra check out the focal 165ca's for the front, some focal 100ca's for the back and some kind of sub for the sail panels, you will not be disappointed.
Focal is a great speaker. but unfortunately it does come with a price. Any one check into this for some replacement subs?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

wait a little longer and save up some more money, what ever u get for $300 u will only like it for like a month then want to upgrade and end up spending alot more money.

if u must only spend $300 then look into a single kicker 12" or 15" comp or comp vr sub in a ported box.
for an amp look for a older fosgate 500a2 or something along those line. it should sound sweet.