Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where and how to install satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where and how to install satellite radio?

I recieved a sirius satellite radio for christmas. I went to go install it today with the antenna up on my dash in the middle, very close to the window. I put the reciever also in the middle on top of my dash right above my vents.
Problems: The damn 3M tape doesn't stick for **** on the antenna strip. Probably doesn't help that its 17 degrees out. Also it seems damn gaudy to have the reciever on top of the dash with all of these wires all over the place. How and where did you guys install the reciever, antenna, etc. The top of the dash seemed like the only place I could put the reciever.

BTW: Mine is the bigass NFL Reciever that can also fit in the boombox, hence my problem

Last edited by WhitePheonix; 12-27-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

please don't put the tuner on top of the dash.

you can tuck it under the seat, under the dash (under/behind the glove box), in the spare tire well, or in the driver rear tire well. also if you pull your sail panels off you could probably mount it behind one of them.
these are suggestions i don't know if there is enough room in all of these places. i am going to install mine tonight or tomorrow, i'll post where i put it.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Onyx LS1
please don't put the tuner on top of the dash.

you can tuck it under the seat, under the dash (under/behind the glove box), in the spare tire well, or in the driver rear tire well. also if you pull your sail panels off you could probably mount it behind one of them.
these are suggestions i don't know if there is enough room in all of these places. i am going to install mine tonight or tomorrow, i'll post where i put it.
Do you have the same unit? Do you think the remote will work under the seat? I thought about putting it on the side of the dash or under the glovebox. Seemed like it would be in the way if somebody was sitting in the passenger seat. Also the bracket they give you doesnt quite sit flush on these places which doesnt help with the tape. Believe me I dont want this bigass thing on my dash.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i am thinkin of something different. i was think of the tuner that you connect to a sirius ready head unit, probably smaller and doesn't have a remote.
i'm not sure what your receiver looks like so i don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are special brackets available that allow you to mount the satellite radio to the right of the factory radio. Try here: http://www.myradiostore.us/mounts-br...fic-mount.html. (Yes, I know it's an XM site but the mounts use the same holes for Sirius radios.) Unfortunately, they are rather proud of what amounts to just a specially bent and drilled piece of metal - $30 - but there aren't a whole lot of options for places to mount on our dashes.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product

My radio and kit
Old 12-31-2004, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I work for best buy in the moble audio department. we sale the custome brackets and they make it look very nice. i think they are like $20.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out this thread for mounting:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/248790-guys-xm.html

I hid my antenna in my Formula's hatch/wing. The reception there is better than inside the car. Pics are in that thread. There are also pics of how someone mounted their Sky-Fi which appears similar in size and shape to the Sirius unit you have.