Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How'd y'all wire in your Sirius/XM receivers in your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How'd y'all wire in your Sirius/XM receivers in your cars?

Is there a way to go about hooking it up? Haven't received it yet, just wanted to be prepared when it comes.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

its real easy, just plug everything in the side of the reciever i use the tape adapter but if u dont have one it has different stations u can put it on to get the frequency, and u have to run the wire for the antenna somewhere yourself, and go online and sign up real quick, its great i love mine i have the roady2 from XM. it also comes with vent hook up and stuff to. hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I posted my install here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/194183-advice-sirius-radio.html
(post #3)

I posted where I hid my antenna here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/248790-guys-xm.html
(post #3 & 9)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

i placed my antenna on my roof all the way at the back, right by the hatch. then ran the wire inside, across the sail panel, above the door, down the apillar, down the side of the dash, inside the dash, and behind the radio. i then took out the radio, and pulled the antenna wire out of the top of the bezel right next to the left side of the receiver (where it has to go). since i use the fm modulator, i plugged it in my cig lighter, ran the wire up and behind the radio, and had it come out of the same place as the antena. and for mounting the receiver. i found no good place that i liked, so i mounted it on the air vent. i happen to like it alot where it is, and it took like 15 mins tops to do it all. if you want i took pics of the final install
Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I have my antenna in the hatch area right in front of the flap. Works very well for me there even when the flap is down covering the antenna.

Are you using the stock radio or aftermarket?

What unit did you/are you getting?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by cletus323
I have my antenna in the hatch area right in front of the flap. Works very well for me there even when the flap is down covering the antenna.
Since mine is magnetic, I had it attached to the child anchor point there for a while. Eventually I hid it in the hatch/wing and now I have better reception and its hidden.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

i was going to hide mine in the hatch as well, but since i have a mettalic paint, it wouldnt get good reception...and it doesnt really bother me too much on the roof
Old 01-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
i was going to hide mine in the hatch as well, but since i have a mettalic paint, it wouldnt get good reception...and it doesnt really bother me too much on the roof
Thats fine too. I was just commenting on it being inside the passenger compartment. You probably have better reception with it on the roof anyway.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

well i wouldve preferred to hide it in the hatch, but i learned to live with it on the roof. do you have a xm ready h/u, or did you buy a xm receiver and mount it somewhere in the car
Old 01-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Check out my post above with the links. You'll see everything there. The pics are the most current though. (You'll still see the antenna attached to the child anchor point, but its now hidden in the hatch/wing. Also, the adapter cable is not present in that picture.)
Old 01-15-2005, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just a tip, XM antenna's can pretty much go anywhere in the car and still get reception. Sirius is not as forgiving though as they need to be next to a window or external. I have my XM myfi antenna on my monsoon amp bracket.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
Just a tip, XM antenna's can pretty much go anywhere in the car and still get reception. Sirius is not as forgiving though as they need to be next to a window or external. I have my XM myfi antenna on my monsoon amp bracket.
The metal car body and coating on the glass will block some signal. I noticed a definate decrease in drop-offs when I moved the antenna from beging attached to the child anchor point to being inside the wing.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
The metal car body and coating on the glass will block some signal. I noticed a definate decrease in drop-offs when I moved the antenna from beging attached to the child anchor point to being inside the wing.

depending on your location it might have SOME effect, but in most higher population area's you can mount the damn thing in the brake caliper and it will work fine . Reason being XM has local repeaters unlike sirius. Tis why you can take any deck and tune it to 88.1 and hear a bit of XM broadcasting
Old 01-24-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a xm ready pioneer radio. all i did was buy the pioneer xm tuner, it hooked up through the p-bus cable in back of the radio to the tuner, and i put the antenna on the roof of my tahoe and ran the wires from the antenna into the car, to the tuner.

u shouldn't have a problem at all

Quick Reply: How'd y'all wire in your Sirius/XM receivers in your cars?