Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is this a good front speaker and sail panel replacement set?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a good front speaker and sail panel replacement set?

Im redoing the sound system, getting an alpine 9851 HU. For the front, i was looking at the Infinity Reference 6010cs 6.5" Component speakers and the sail panels i was checking out infinity kappa 60.7cs 6 1/2 component or maybe Polk db675 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers. Do i want a 2 way speaker for the sail panel?

My question since the search function isnt working at all really, do i need 2 sets of component speakers, for the fronts yeah, but im not sure what to put in the sail panel speakers, i went to crutchfield just to see what fits. I just need some insight or a list of good speakers, i just need something better than the monsoon system.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Are you going to run the speakers off a seperate amp, or still use the Monsoon amp? It all depends what you are trying to do. If keeping the Monsoon amp to power them the Infinity 62.7i(2ohm) is great for up front with no modifications(the front bass runs off the Monsoon amp at 2ohms) and the tweeter would be running off your new Alpine at 4ohm. The speaker in the back seat is only a (2ohm)bass speaker only and have no highs going to them. The far rear hatch speakers are coaxil and run at 4 ohm and would be powered off the Alpine too. If adding speakers to the Monsoon amp, I wouldn't add speakers that require a lot of power thats why I said the 62.7i, if your going to add a seperate amp too, then you can add about anything you want.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For a Z28, if your going to use components, make sure they come with a grill for mounting the tweeter coaxially. Unless you're going to mod your car to add separate tweeter locations.

If you are going to keep the stock wiring and Monsoon amp, I don't think it's worth spending the money to get the comps you mentioned. Unless of course this is just step one in your overall upgrade plan. In which case, I'd probably get the same speakers for front and back. Remember the stock amp in the 2000 Camaro was 200W, not the 500W amp that is in the T/A's and '01/'02 Camaros. If your still using it, make sure your speakers are sensitive enough to give you adaquate volume at lower power inputs.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

nah monsoon amp is going, im getting an amp to power the sub and a 4 channel to power the front and sail panel speakers. New wiring and all. So are you saying i should get the same speakers for the front and sail panel, 2 sets of identical components?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Since you are going to have to replace all the wiring with a new amp, you have many more options. The front is where you want the soundstage and it is really up to you weather you will want highs in the backseat too. The far back 4inch speakers will probably not be in the picture anymore, so you may want some in the sail panel. Everyone has their own way they want a car stereo to sound, so if you want the extra tweeters in the back then get them. Matching the components would be good to give the same overall sound front and back and output would be the same, so a more efficient speaker or less may not sound as good or be too loud. I know it is all adjustable, but it is just better to match them. I'm not picky and when I replaced the front speakers with the 62.7i's they were plenty for me and the whole system sounds great. I don't think I will ever want anymore than I have unless I want to go deaf. The fill by adding the Memphis audio 10's really makes it sound great. Great low bass from the 10's and the highs from the Infinity's in the front is perfect for me.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so just get the components i was getting for the front and get them for the sail panel as well and just use the 10inch sub box in back for all the bass, is this correct? so i will have tweeters front and back and a sub in the back hatch, is this ok?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like a balanced sound, so I'd probably get whichever speaker I thought sounded best and put them on all 4 corners. But your listening tastes may be different. I'd think you'd want full-range or at least mids in the back seat to give the sound 3d depth. The subwoofer will only give you more thump.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I like a balanced sound, so I'd probably get whichever speaker I thought sounded best and put them on all 4 corners. But your listening tastes may be different. I'd think you'd want full-range or at least mids in the back seat to give the sound 3d depth. The subwoofer will only give you more thump.
I agree, I am going to mb quart qsc-216s for the front and rear. But everyone is different. Damn qsd-216s just hold more power, lol, and more money with same quality. Damn MB Quart!