Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double DIN?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double DIN?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried installing a Double DIN size head unit in an F-body? I know the factory size is 1.5 DIN so there would be fitment issues that would require customization/cutting/hacking. The reason I am asking is I am looking into the Kenwood eXcelon DDX-8017 ebay link If anyone has done this I would be interesting in knowing what all had to be done in order to get it to fit. I know that they guy who put the PC in his car had to move the AC controls, I am hoping to avoid that type of customization. The trim panel is one thing but moving major components...no thanks.

One more question...can anyone recomend a good flip up style DVD player/cd/etc...? I know that this would be a much easier install than the Double DIN monster. Thanks for any replies, comments or whatnot.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Guess not....
Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do a search, there have been a few people that have put computers in there cars, and cut and molded screens in there dash. I don't think anyone has actually done a double din. It would be tough to support it.

Here's a link to one of the computer installs:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&page=1&pp=15
Old 01-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Launching!

I had remembered seeing the thread on that. It is pretty bad-*** and would cost about as much as what I am looking to spend on the Kenwood I am looking at but I dont have the tools or time to take on a huge project like that. But I may get some ideas from him, like using a sheet of ABS to close off the hole to begin with and then go from there. Thanks for the direct link to his project.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

i have some pics of mine, i have had a KEN DDX8017 in my camaro for almost 3 months now, i dont know how to post pics but ill send em to whoever wants to post em... a buddy and i did all of my work too, im 19
Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM them to me
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM me the pics too.

I hate the look of a regular din size head unit in my TA.
Where in TX are you, maybe I could see it up close?

Josh
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flynz
i have some pics of mine, i have had a KEN DDX8017 in my camaro for almost 3 months now, i dont know how to post pics but ill send em to whoever wants to post em... a buddy and i did all of my work too, im 19
Sweet, this was just the answer I was hoping for. Even though its in a Camaro it should still help out alot. If you don't mind could you do a small write-up on what all had to be done, like cutting/fitting what you used, etc.... Thanks!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Regular

I made a double din setup to fit 2 single dins in the dash. I'll make a post with pics in a little while so all you can check it out when you wake up! Can't sleep, freaking 4am
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Launching!

bump for pics
Old 03-18-2006, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

I working on installing pioneers new avic d2 in my SS......Have it all in and working just have to finish creating the dash trim panel (had to cut my fog lamp switch and 35th anny maaro badge out...Ill move them elsewhere)......Ill post pics when finished! Slim dont be so sure about fitting one in a T/A though, we have the same radios but the camaros have a lot of room above the unit where the TA does not. You would prolly have to move your hvac.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

id like to see some pics too im going to do a eclipse 5435 as soon as my car gets here.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durrettcustoms
I working on installing pioneers new avic d2 in my SS......Have it all in and working just have to finish creating the dash trim panel (had to cut my fog lamp switch and 35th anny maaro badge out...Ill move them elsewhere)......Ill post pics when finished! Slim dont be so sure about fitting one in a T/A though, we have the same radios but the camaros have a lot of room above the unit where the TA does not. You would prolly have to move your hvac.
Do you have pics of this? I'm looking into getting this head unit soon. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I modified mine to fit 2 single dins in my 01 ws6. I had to remove the stock bracket that was just above the heater controls and make my own mounting bracket. I just used two pieces of metal, bent a nice 90' in em and drilled some holes. I still need to make a new cover panel, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm using a carputer, so I put in a 7" fold out touchscreen. The problem I had, is with the air vents above the stereo.... the LCD was too long to fit in the top position with the VGA cable sticking out the back, but it fits fine in the bottom position (below the stereo.) I would imagine if you're using a double-din straight from a standard audio company like kenwood, you won't have any problems with length.

For anyone interested in doing a double-din or a dual-din, here's a link with some pictures that helped me out when I was going through the process..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/327596/5

Quick Reply: Double DIN?