Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

question about crutchfield

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about crutchfield

why does crutchfield only list front door panel speaker? and not the rear passenger side speakers. are they the same size/type?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

What type of car are we talking about?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default oh sorry

2001 trans am convertible with monsoon.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

fyi Crutchfield = list price (or close to it)

You will be very limited to rear speakers in a convertible. I dont remember the exact depth, but it is not much. Most speakers will not fit.

You do not need rear speakers! Spend the extra money on some high quality fronts. When you listen to your home stereo in STEREO mode, only the front two speakers are on right?? Trust me, with that small of a cabin, fronts is all you need.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default well..

one of the rear is getting alittle distorted so i wanna replace them with equall or a tad better speakers.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

The depth of the rear speakers for a convertible needs to be < 1.5". Or, you can come up with some sort of spacer and have the speaker sit out a bit from the panel. Most 6 1/2" speakers have a mounting depth of apx. 1 15/16"

One option would be to find someone getting rid of their stock speakers. I know this will not be an upgrade, but they will fit.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The popular Alpine SP170's cost about 60 online and will fit in back with a 1/2" or so spacer. Cutting your own spacer is by far the best option.

You actually get a rather large amount of rear fill boost because the stock rear speakers are very limited, much more so than the door speakers.

You will have to mod the wiring to bi-wire them, but it is worth it.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by clemsondave
You do not need rear speakers! Spend the extra money on some high quality fronts. When you listen to your home stereo in STEREO mode, only the front two speakers are on right?? Trust me, with that small of a cabin, fronts is all you need.
Most home theaters are 5.1 surround sound (some are even 6.1 and 7.1)

If you dont think you need rear fill then set your fader all the way to the front and see what it sounds like. It makes a big difference.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Most home theaters are 5.1 surround sound (some are even 6.1 and 7.1)
True, but 6.1 and 7.1 are surround sound modes where the dvd's were encoded with sounds that specifically go to the rear speakers. If you put your home theater receiver in 'stereo' mode, it only puts the sound to the front main speakers. Of course, that depends on how nice your receiver is. Some of the cheaper ones dont know the difference. My home setup includes a Denon 5801 with some killer speakers. If I put it in stereo mode, all the sound goes to the big speakers up front. If you go to a concert, where are the speakers? Now, if your watching movies in your car, I completely agree, go with 4-5.

If you dont think you need rear fill then set your fader all the way to the front and see what it sounds like. It makes a big difference.
With the factory setup, this is not a fair test. Find someone that has a decent setup with separates up front and a decent amp.

I had a hard time believing this too until I tried it. You can always add the rears later if you dont like it.

2 high quality component speakers > 4 mediocre coaxials
Old 02-05-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sucks because have 2 sets of 6X9 speaker from my GP's that i bought. have some nice lightning audio's and some kenwood excelon kfc-x6900