Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Starter Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Wiring

So who can tell me all of the wires that relate to the starter upon ignition, what colors they are, and what they do? Particularly on a 98

From my understanding, there is Purple, Red, Green, Yellow/Black..

Purple goes to starter solenoid, sends power to solenoid
Red= Hot Wire, Battery fed cable.
Green= Clutch safety switch, the real kicker if it fails the car wouldnt start?

Yellow/Black Now is this a ground or what? I can start it by putting a screwdriver in the bottom of the fuse box where the connection is, car kicks over , otherwise it does nothign

Please help... Any wiring diagrams or specifics will help!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Anybody??
Old 02-19-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

no takers?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Here you go...

Dark Green: 12V+ to starter relay coil from clutch safety switch (M6) or neutral safety switch (A4)
Yellow/Black: ground side of starter relay coil routed to the starter relay control input on the BCM. BCM will only provide ground if the alarm system hasn't been activated.
Red: 12V+
Purple: Relay output to starter solenoid
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Here you go...
Yellow/Black: ground side of starter relay coil routed to the starter relay control input on the BCM. BCM will only provide ground if the alarm system hasn't been activated.

So the BCM is the box that says Integrated Body Control module under the dash? If so...what do i do then? If not what is it?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that's the BCM. I don't understand what you're trying to do. Are you adding an alarm system or just having trouble getting your car started? If so, what are the symptoms? Does the security light on the instrument panel light up?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

No security light, The car went through a complete tear down, totally stripped and NOW, is going to be used as a drag car. Problem is, i do not know why i could not get this started. A buddy and i weere troubleshooting and found that if we grounded from the connection of that wire it will fire right up... Why? we did not know. So i came on here.

does the BCM send a signal to it? or how does it(the BCM) work? is it just a ground-where as if i could jsut groudn the wire to somewhere else? or is the BCM more involved- since i don't really know. From the looks of the schematics the BCM only controls things like the door and alarm, but then again i could have completely missed something.

Let me know ASAP
Old 02-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, there are two functions of the BCM that relate to starting. The BCM checks the resistor pellet in the ignition key to ensure that the correct key is being used. If so, it applies ground to the yellow/black wire allowing the starter relay to energize. It also sends a signal to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module under the hood). The PCM allows the engine to start and run then checks for the signal from the BCM. If the signal is present then the engine is allowed to continue running. If the signal isn't present then the PCM shuts off the fuel injectors forcing the engine to stop.

It sounds like there is a problem with your BCM or else the wiring to the BCM. If the BCM is basically functional then you could ground the yellow/black wire and everything should work normally. However, if there is a real problem with the BCM then grounding the yellow/black wire will allow the car to start but it will shut down when the BCM fails to send the necessary signal to the PCM to keep the injectors running. You might have to get a new BCM.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Well, there are two functions of the BCM that relate to starting. The BCM checks the resistor pellet in the ignition key to ensure that the correct key is being used. If so, it applies ground to the yellow/black wire allowing the starter relay to energize. It also sends a signal to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module under the hood). The PCM allows the engine to start and run then checks for the signal from the BCM. If the signal is present then the engine is allowed to continue running. If the signal isn't present then the PCM shuts off the fuel injectors forcing the engine to stop.

It sounds like there is a problem with your BCM or else the wiring to the BCM. If the BCM is basically functional then you could ground the yellow/black wire and everything should work normally. However, if there is a real problem with the BCM then grounding the yellow/black wire will allow the car to start but it will shut down when the BCM fails to send the necessary signal to the PCM to keep the injectors running. You might have to get a new BCM.
Does that new BCM have to match the stock one and program it for stock, or can it be any liket he one out of my 02 TA?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

A new BCM can be programmed to match the existing key by just installing it and then turning the ignition on and off several times. The BCM can only be programmed once so a used BCM must either match the existing key resistor (1 in 14 chance) or have the PASS-Key system bypassed like is commonly done to install remote start systems.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

ITS ALIVE!!!!! It had to do w/ a plug in the BCM the drivers side plug wasnt in all the way!!!! Wohooo thanks man!