Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My Monsoon head unit took a dump...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Monsoon head unit took a dump...

Well, my stock head unit no longer reads ANY Cd I throw at it. I've been trying to search this section to find out what I should do, but to be honest, I know jack **** about stereo and audio type stuff.

What would you guy recommend I do? What should I replace the stock HU with, and the speaker in the passenger side sail panel blew out. I have to have my music, I can no longer listen to Deftones in the car

I want it to sound really good, what should I do? Again, I've tried to search but I don't understand what I'm seeing. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen people recommend www.fbodyaudio.com but never been there. Can't hurt.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Another option is to just replace the head unit with another factory unit. I've got one up for sale on Ebay currently...

Monsoon Head Unit
Old 09-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

I just now noticed that you're "one mean z" - the head unit for sale is for a firebird, sorry!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tigws6
I just now noticed that you're "one mean z" - the head unit for sale is for a firebird, sorry!
Haha, I have a 2000 TA. Just never changed my name. But I don't feel like messing with the stock head unit anymore. It really pissed me off this time. When it starting doing this, I broke it for good. Now it doesn't even take CDs in.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

As for the speakers, I replaced mine with Pioneer.

I talked to someone at an audio shop before, they said the stock head unit sends one kind of signal and then the factory amp decodes that and send it out too the speakers. Aftermarket headunits dont operate that way, so if you want to retain an amp you need an aftermarket one as well, otherwise you will have to re-wire the speakers directly to the head unit. And most head units only have 4 outputs (2 front, 2 rear), which means if yours is like mine, wireing directly to the HU loses the the ability to use the hatch speakers.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liquid, that car shop guy was wrong.

The monsoon deck is just a regular deck. It sends four high level signals to the monsoon amp. You can drop any old regular head unit in with a standard GM harness and your monsoon amp and speakers will work 100% as stock. It takes no effort at all to retain the stock speaker/amp setup with an aftermarket deck... and it takes just a little tiny bit of effort in the speaker connections to use aftermarket speakers with the monsoon amp (which is stronger than any traditional head unit amp).

OneMeanZ, I'd recommend if your musical tastes do not warrant using a subwoofer, that you simply get a decent head unit (~$150 or so) and four aftermarket co-axials that you like the sound of (~$75/pr). You will still be using the monsoon amp in this setup so there is a little bit of special work to get the aftermarket speakers hooked up appropriately - but nothing needs to happen with the actual amp wiring. It would be possible to retain the hatch speakers but they won't help anymore in this setup and should be disabled.

If you decide to do this and can't find the details using search PM me and I will help you through it.

However, there really are tons of threads about how to handle this. Make sure you have your message filters set to include "all" and not just the last month or whatver.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
As for the speakers, I replaced mine with Pioneer.

I talked to someone at an audio shop before, they said the stock head unit sends one kind of signal and then the factory amp decodes that and send it out too the speakers. Aftermarket headunits dont operate that way, so if you want to retain an amp you need an aftermarket one as well, otherwise you will have to re-wire the speakers directly to the head unit. And most head units only have 4 outputs (2 front, 2 rear), which means if yours is like mine, wireing directly to the HU loses the the ability to use the hatch speakers.
That guy wanted to sell you more stuff....hence the his explanation.

The Monsoon headunit in the 4th gen f-body is just a regular AC Delco headunit. It outputs speaker level to the Monsoon amp which powers the speakers (basically it amplifies an amplified signal). (The layout of the Firebird and Camaro are slightly differently and the convertables are also slightly different, but the basic premis is the same). Aftermaket setups usually connect the headunit's RCA outputs (instead of the speaker outputs) to the amp's RCA inputs (instead of high-level inputs). All you need to use an aftermarket headunit is a mounting kit, wiring harness (to adapt the aftermarket harness to the car), and and antenna adapter. No fancy converter boxes and no re-wireing. The only requirement is that the headunit have an internal amp with speaker outputs instead of just RCA outputs....thats 99% of the headunits on the market. Check the stickies.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the info guys!

Todd, I'll shoot you a PM in a couple of weeks when I'm ready get the ball rolling...thanks again.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

ahhh, that son of a bitch