Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Underpowering speakers, bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underpowering speakers, bad?

I blew both of my Eclipse SW6000 (300 RMS @ 2ohm) with my Alpine MRP M350 mono amps (350 rms @ 2ohm) probably screwed up setting the gains. I was thinking of getting a sub that was rated a little higher, maybe 400 or 450 rms. Is there anything wrong with doing that? I recall hearing people talk about having headroom is good, but they are probably talking about having an Amp that is rated more then the subs, then adjusting the gains to not overpower the sub.

Oh yeah, is there a cheap way to check how much power the Amps are truly putting out? I am suspecting it is a little more then rated. Thnx.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't waste your time purchasing a sub with larger power handling capabilities. The only way that I would do that is if I was planning on purchasing a new amp shortly after.

Overpowering a subwoofer is way better than underpowering it. Distortion is the #1 killer of speakers. The only 3 ways to blow a speaker is to actually separate the voice coil from giving it too much power, run it into distortion, or a manufacturer flaw. All of these are assuming you have the correct box...etc. I say go with a bigger amp and see what the speaker can do.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Well the subs are already blown. So if i want to buy new subs and keep the same amps, I should stay in the 300rms range for the subs?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yup my speakers are getting over 2x their rms rating, my subs are getting about 130% of their rms. having headroom with the amp is the best way to bring down distortion. You can always turn down the gain on the amp.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transaman98
I wouldn't waste your time purchasing a sub with larger power handling capabilities. The only way that I would do that is if I was planning on purchasing a new amp shortly after.

Overpowering a subwoofer is way better than underpowering it. Distortion is the #1 killer of speakers. The only 3 ways to blow a speaker is to actually separate the voice coil from giving it too much power, run it into distortion, or a manufacturer flaw. All of these are assuming you have the correct box...etc. I say go with a bigger amp and see what the speaker can do.
hahaha this is funny...

You CANNOT hurt a speaker by not giving it the recommended power.
Too much power and the speaker will reach its mechanical and/or thermal limits and blow, but you will NEVER blow a speaker by giving it too little CLEAN power.

Also, you won't even hear a difference if you give a speaker 350 watts or 450 watts, so get whatever speaker you want. You'll hear a difference going from 350 to 600-700 watts, but probably nothing less (depending on how sensative your ears are).
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95bat
hahaha this is funny...

You CANNOT hurt a speaker by not giving it the recommended power.
Too much power and the speaker will reach its mechanical and/or thermal limits and blow, but you will NEVER blow a speaker by giving it too little CLEAN power.

Also, you won't even hear a difference if you give a speaker 350 watts or 450 watts, so get whatever speaker you want. You'll hear a difference going from 350 to 600-700 watts, but probably nothing less (depending on how sensative your ears are).
You gotta try to explain yourself. lets say a radio has 30% distortion at 100 watts rms, if another radio has 30 % distortion at full capacity of 200 watts, the second radio can be backed down and the distortion levels decrease dramatically.

The more headroom you have with amplifiers the better. What hurts speakers is when the signal goign to the speaker is clipped and turns into DC current.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

95bat is right on in his post

3dB is generally considered a perceivable change in volume....it varies person to person though, ~10dB increase is double the perceived volume -- formula to use to get an idea of this is:
dB = (10) log (amplitude change)
(log base 10)

ex: 10 log (350/450)
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fredmr39

3dB is generally considered a perceivable change in volume....it varies person to person though, ~10dB increase is double the perceived volume -- formula to use to get an idea of this is:
(log base 10)

Understanding general terms, it varies greatly from person to person 3dbs is a BIG difference, I know personally I can tell if ive doubled the power output. Now, whether MOST people will be able to tell, its hard to say.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ultraz
You gotta try to explain yourself. lets say a radio has 30% distortion at 100 watts rms, if another radio has 30 % distortion at full capacity of 200 watts, the second radio can be backed down and the distortion levels decrease dramatically.

The more headroom you have with amplifiers the better. What hurts speakers is when the signal goign to the speaker is clipped and turns into DC current.
I get what you're saying, but its not that simple. It also doesn't have much to do with what I said. Distortion is entire dependant upon the car and the equipment in the car. Head unit, power source, amp, even RCAs are a factor.

I was talking about power to the speaker, though, not really about distortion. Too little clean power (meaning no/little distortion) will never blow a speaker. On the contrary, a massive amount of clean power doesn't automatically destroy a speaker either. It all depends on the equipment. Most speakers can handle more than their RMS power rating thermally and mechanically, but the power must be without distortion.

That is all a bit off topic though. In reference to this thread and the OP, he doesn't need to worry about buying a speaker that will handle more power than his amp will produce. The power difference is so little he probably won't even hear it. It might not be ideal, but it will work just fine.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ultraz
Understanding general terms, it varies greatly from person to person 3dbs is a BIG difference, I know personally I can tell if ive doubled the power output. Now, whether MOST people will be able to tell, its hard to say.
The average person will hear an audible difference with double the power. Double the power give a 3db increase, which is accepted as the lowest sound increment change audible by the human ear.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredmr39

(log base 10)

1dB is considered perceivable. But 3dB is considered "significant."