Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

repalcing all speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default repalcing all speakers

im replacing all 6 speakers in my 1999 Camaro.. what brand should i go with what have you guys used? im lookin for something that sounds clear and have some thump to it
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

well when i bought my car the speakers were really shitty so i bout factory replacements that were ment to handle the monsoon amp and they sound gret and then to top it off i threw a JL 10" w3 in there and it sounds awesome
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Check out Kee Audio. He is a sponsor and has a few threads on speaker replacements.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

I went with Cerwin Vega all the way, the sound is crisp and clear. I also changed the HU for a Innovateck DVD screen system and added a 10" Pioneer IMPP subwoofer. The sub and the rear speakers are driven by a 1200w 4 channels amplifier
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MLavigne Z/28
Check out Kee Audio. He is a sponsor and has a few threads on speaker replacements.
Thanks Mike!!
I still have my specials going till the end of the week and maybe a little after if CDT allows me to do so. I have some full speaker replacements for the F-body that work great for the Camaro!! Even the door speaker wiring is almost identical. The CL-61CV package has wiring that suits the Camaro doors perfectly instead of having to splice into coaxials like you normally do. Here's a picture of how they work to give you an idea.

So you get the benefit of components in a coaxial design that fits in your stock location!! The stock "coaxial" on a Camaro has 2 sets of wires..one for the tweeter powered by the Monsoon HU and the midbass powered by the Monsoon amp. Normal coaxials are not wired like this so you'd have to cut and splice into the tweeter wires on a standard set of coaxials. These are already seperated for you!!
Plus you also get another set of CL-6E midbass's for your sail panels. So 4 in all. This covers your doors and your sails.
These are some of the cleanest sounding speakers you can buy and handle plenty of power.
I also have 1 set left of Power Bass 4" coaxials to replace your rear hatch speakers. Here's a pic:

These have a composite titanium tweeter, a woven fiberglass cone, rubber butyl surrounds and chrome baskets. They also can handle up to 100watts which is way more than a Monsoon will ever push to them!!
This entire package for all 6 speakers is $279.00 with UPS shipping included.
I will be getting other 4" replacements in but that is the last set of that particular set I have.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

One small correction...all the speaker elements in the Camaro (including the tweeters) are powered by the Monsoon amp. Only Firebird coupes have tweeters powered by the head unit.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

Ah, I am mistaken!! They do have a seperate set of leads running to them though like a component?? I swear I saw something about having to tap into the tweeters on an aftermarket coaxial seperatly or something specifically on the Camaro?? There was even a write up on it with pics I beleive.
Just found it in the FAQ #11 Camaro replace or upgrade stock Monsoon speakers...it states:
"the midbass portion of the speaker is powered by the amp. the amp filters out highs/lows and only permits mids to go to that portion of the speaker. the tweeters located in the center of the speaker do NOT go to the amp in the rear of the car. instead, they go directly to the head unit."
He then had to install them by cutting the Alpine tweeter wire and hooking the factory tweeter wire to them.
Just going by what I read...I have only done Firebirds and Trans Ams in the F-body realm. Many other makes and models..too many to list. Just no Camaros as of yet.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, cant beat that. i am down to one door speaker and one sail. the rest have died. would this work on a non monsoon equiped ride (i.e. '97 T/A)?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the hatch speakers. They only provide fill and are useless IMHO. I went with 4 Focal CV165's and love them. Started with Kappa's but those were too bright for my taste.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSXNV
damn, cant beat that. i am down to one door speaker and one sail. the rest have died. would this work on a non monsoon equiped ride (i.e. '97 T/A)?
They would work great in a non Monsoon ride!! You can get the package for as low as $240.00 for the CL-61 components and rear CL-6E midbass for fill. I even throw in the shipping on this deal!! Replace all you speakers with CDT quality for that price!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Ah, I am mistaken!! They do have a seperate set of leads running to them though like a component?? I swear I saw something about having to tap into the tweeters on an aftermarket coaxial seperatly or something specifically on the Camaro?? There was even a write up on it with pics I beleive.
Just found it in the FAQ #11 Camaro replace or upgrade stock Monsoon speakers...it states:
"the midbass portion of the speaker is powered by the amp. the amp filters out highs/lows and only permits mids to go to that portion of the speaker. the tweeters located in the center of the speaker do NOT go to the amp in the rear of the car. instead, they go directly to the head unit."
He then had to install them by cutting the Alpine tweeter wire and hooking the factory tweeter wire to them.
Just going by what I read...I have only done Firebirds and Trans Ams in the F-body realm. Many other makes and models..too many to list. Just no Camaros as of yet.
The door speakers in Camaros are separate components mounted coaxially as you said. There are eight channels on the Monsoon amp. For Camaros and convertibles of both car lines the amp powers all the speakers (eight elements). On Firebird coupes, the DVC sail panel subs use two channels each and the door and hatch mids use the other four channels so the tweeters run off the head unit.

Many people have assumed that since the door tweeters in Camaros are wired separately, they are also powered separately from the head unit like in a Firebird but that is not the case. There was so much other good information in that "Replacing Camaro Speakers" thread that it wasn't worth messing with to correct that error.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Banned

Got it!! Thanks for the clarification!! And I completely agree...that does have a ton of great information on it.