Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Clarion deck battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clarion deck battery drain

I bought a Clarion touchscreen DXZ955 unit(used-my first mistake) and had it installed. Immediately after installation driving home I noticed that even with the car turned completely off leaving it, I could still here the hum of something electronic running. Well after a month or so, the battery problems started and I recently had to buy a new one. Turns out, as the stereo shop told me, the unit has a bad sauder joint in it somewhere and even with the car completely off, its still sending a small current to the factory amps(which they told me, were current sensitive, so turning the key off does no good). My question is, is there a fuse I can pull or some other method I can take until I can get another deck? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a cpu unit under your carpet somewhere its about the size of a laptop all flip screens have them they dont work without... MABEY someone can crack that baby open and see if they could fix it but i dont think it can be done ....I had the same thing happen to my brand new kenwood touch flip they replaced it for free...good thing to cuz that bitch was 2k... Sounds to me like your focked unless theres a cross somewhere.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try pulling the radio fuse but keep in mind all your station presets will be lost, but at least it won't be sending any signals anywhere.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Actually, pulling the RADIO fuse won't help because it is ignition controlled anyway. If the Monsoon amp is the source of the current draw then you can pull the RADIO ACCY fuse and nothing else will be affected. If the head unit is the problem then you can pull the PWR ACCY fuse which handles the HU memory, etc. but it also powers the hatch release, power mirrors, and alarm shock sensor.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, pulling the RADIO fuse won't help because it is ignition controlled anyway. If the Monsoon amp is the source of the current draw then you can pull the RADIO ACCY fuse and nothing else will be affected. If the head unit is the problem then you can pull the PWR ACCY fuse which handles the HU memory, etc. but it also powers the hatch release, power mirrors, and alarm shock sensor.
Which numbered fuse is that? I will definately atleast try it. Im hoping that pulling it every night and not installing it until I get ready to go somewhere will be enough to save the battery.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

#4 = RADIO ACCY
#7 = PWR ACCY

At the very least, pulling the fuse at night will let you know whether that is what is causing the current draw. I'd try the RADIO ACCY fuse by itself first because it affects only the amp.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to resurrect this but Id like to know if the site has diagram showing the fuses so I can pick which fuse is #4 or is it written somewhere on the cover of the fuse box itself? Since the post Ive just had the deck unplugged. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The fuse panel is labeled with the fuse functions and the slots are numbered from left to right and top to bottom (i.e. fuses 1-4 are the top row, 5-8 are the second row, etc.).
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again White! My dumbass kept thinking it was one of the fuse boxes under the hood when it was within arms reach.