Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I keep knocking out the left hatch speaker!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I keep knocking out the left hatch speaker!

I bought this car with the left hatch speaker making like a rattle/groaning sound, particularly noticeable at low volume with bass up. I swapped both hatch speakers for some Sony 5x7's I picked up cheap. Well within some short period of time, I notice the same type of problem is back, on the left hatch speaker again! I then swapped the speaker for an old 6x9 I had in storage, didn't really mount it, just wanted to test. At first it sounds fine but again it seems like the problem is coming back now. The right hatch speaker is fine along with the fronts. What can I check for? Bad amp possibly?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

I would honestly say ditch them all together. They pull away from front stage sound quality too much. Clutters the sound.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it has gone through 3 speakers then I'm guessing the amp (or the HU feeding the amp) is putting some bad distortion through to it.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Is it the speaker thats the problem or the way its mounted?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If it has gone through 3 speakers then I'm guessing the amp (or the HU feeding the amp) is putting some bad distortion through to it.
I was thinking that. I don't hear any distortion other than what seems like a lot of bass output (speaker goes nuts) yet the right speaker is the same. It's over time that the speaker turns to ****. I don't know. Could I check for power spikes with a multimeter?

I would honestly say ditch them all together. They pull away from front stage sound quality too much. Clutters the sound.
I want to undo what I did with installing 5 x 7's and just run a pair of 4's, with some form of bass blocker. Maybe this will protect them better? I'd just hate to buy another set of speakers, only to have one blow out again.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get you a really nice set of 4" Powerbass for $20.00 brand new. They are 2-way coaxials that have black fiberglass cones and titanium composite tweeters. They also handle 50watts rms and 75watts peak. Here's some pictures, check out the magnet on these!!:

Old 09-18-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'd need to make a plate or replace my rear panels before I can use 4" again. Are they 2 ohm? 4 ohm?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
Is it the speaker thats the problem or the way its mounted?

I hope the problem isn't from mounting. everything has visual clearance, and also the stock 4" speaker failed in the same way. The grille also seems to be clear but I should double check.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'd need to make a plate or replace my rear panels before I can use 4" again. Are they 2 ohm? 4 ohm?
4ohm just like stock. The doors and sails are the 2ohm ones.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Distortion isn't always audible. If it is giving some distortion below or above the audible range you won't hear a thing but it could damage the speaker.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Distortion isn't always audible. If it is giving some distortion below or above the audible range you won't hear a thing but it could damage the speaker.

Is there any way to determine the problem, short of replacing the amp and/or HU?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

An O-scope possibly, see what you have on the output with no audio coming through. But I'm not really sure.

I would suggest replacing the stock HU and amp anyway, they aren't all that great. HU at least would be a start since the HU is known to be a source of distortion more than the monsoon amp is.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

I may have lucked out, as I think this 6x9 I shoved in there was just sounding messed up from the foam surround hitting the plastic mount. I'll probably throw a pair of cheap 5 1/4's in the hatch w/ bass blockers and see if it holds up. Hopefully the stock one distorting and then dying, and the 5x7 distorting is just coincidental.

I ordered the elemental design speakers for the sail panels as an added bonus.