Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why do my speakers rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do my speakers rattle?

My speakers in the back seat rattle alot if the volume is turned up. It doesnt even have to be loud. Why do the do this? Are they blown? How can i fix this? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely blown, just go buy some better ones, the stockers are decent but cant take alot IMO
Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they stock or aftermarket? Alot of people buy used F-bodies and get a suprise when it comes to what others have done. If they are stockers then I agree with Spazman more then likely they are blown. If they are aftermarket they may have been installed wrong or a number of things could be amiss.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where's a good place to get replacement stockers? The larger one by the feet on the drivers side is blown on mine. It comes out kinda distorted at low volumes, but is drowned out when turned up.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

Ebay has them pretty cheap but why would you put stock speakers back in? This would be a great opportunity to upgrade and never have to worry about it again. The stockers are cheaply made and will mess up again. Lots of people on here that have bought replacement stock speakers end up having issues again. I highly recommend a quality replacement aftermarket speaker so you fix it once and never have to mess with it again. Plus you get much better sound quality and power handling.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks. I have some 6.5 Pioneer factory replacement speakers. Will those fit? Is there anything i need to know to install speakers, ive never done it before. It seems pretty simple, but im just making sure.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

It's not a matter of them fitting. It's a matter of you being able to wire them. The stock speakers in a Camaro are coaxials but they have 4 wires running to them. One pair for the tweeters and one pair for the midrange. A standard replacement coaxial has one pos. and one neg., that's it. Unless you can access the tweeter wires on your Pioneer speakers and wire the tweeter wires seperate from your midrange wires they won't work right.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Teching In

So should i just buy Aftermarket? I ll be getting some Alpines eventually, along with a head unit, but should i just go ahead and get them. Ive heard that aftermarket speakers arent compatible with the monsoon head unit.

PS: Thanks for the help.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Coaxials, at least all the ones I've owned, do have the tweeter wire available. Just cut off the capacitor and solder speaker wire in its place....

Aftermarket speakers are indeed compatible, not sure where you heard that but it is downright wrong.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Ebay has them pretty cheap but why would you put stock speakers back in? This would be a great opportunity to upgrade and never have to worry about it again. The stockers are cheaply made and will mess up again. Lots of people on here that have bought replacement stock speakers end up having issues again. I highly recommend a quality replacement aftermarket speaker so you fix it once and never have to mess with it again. Plus you get much better sound quality and power handling.
Well I've heard horror stories about aftermarket speakers running at a different current or ohms or volts i don't know. I guess the stockers are different than normal speakers. If I could find a lower cost aftermarket speaker that will work and sound right, I'd be all over them.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Don't worry stock speakers are 2 ohms replacement speakers are 4 ohms all it will affect is the speaker won't be as loud as it use to be it will last longer and the amp won't be working as hard .......
Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

I sell replacements that work great for stock Monsoon applications in Camaros and have exposed tweeter wires that are easy to get to. You actually don't lose much in the way of volume at all because the stockers are so inefficient. Aftermarket speakers for the most part are way more efficient and have better clarity at higher volume so loss is very little if any. PM me if you need some good replacements that fit in the stock locations and wire up easy!! They start at $89.00 a pair and I keep them in stock!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Stock speakers actually tend to be pretty efficient. With speakers, you have a tradeoff between the range of frequencies played (particularly the low-end extension, but also the high) and the efficiency of the speaker. Stock speakers give up extension for efficiency.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Here's a quote from the FAQ at the top of the page regarding the Monsoon speakers and their inefficiency:
"Replacing factory 2-ohm speakers with aftermarket 4-ohm ones would normally cause a significant reduction in the volume from those speakers but factory speakers are quite inefficient. Replacing them with more efficient aftermarket speakers - even though they are 4-ohm - will not result in much loss of volume and certainly will have no effect on sound quality."
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

I don't believe that. If someone wants to provide Klippel results to verify, go for it. They're light paper cones with soft suspension.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I sell replacements that work great for stock Monsoon applications in Camaros and have exposed tweeter wires that are easy to get to. You actually don't lose much in the way of volume at all because the stockers are so inefficient. Aftermarket speakers for the most part are way more efficient and have better clarity at higher volume so loss is very little if any. PM me if you need some good replacements that fit in the stock locations and wire up easy!! They start at $89.00 a pair and I keep them in stock!!
I need the larger ones that go by the feet in a Trans Am.

If I pull the screen off can I visually verify that the speakers blown? How can I tell?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bumpy
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
I need the larger ones that go by the feet in a Trans Am.

If I pull the screen off can I visually verify that the speakers blown? How can I tell?
Mine in my camaro didn't visibly look bad... but they sounded horrible. The coils sometimes go bad and that isn't visible.

BTW, none of my speakers are stock and they still sound plenty loud. Volume dropped only slightly. The only stock thing of my audio system now is the monsoon amp, all speakers and the HU are replaced.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The speakers are blown...you can replace speakers over and over again ... been there done that and finally got tired of doing it every few months ... the cause is the head unit suxs..it puts out a distored signal and that is what keeps blowing your speakers...the facory speakers are so so and there are plenty of good replacments out there...but the best thing that you can do is get rid of the POS factory head unit..I replaced mine and it sounded much better with the factory speakers still in the car...then I replaced the factory speakers and things sounded great..