Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Antenna mod need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antenna mod need help

I never ever use my radio...not even once, I use my 10 disc cd player and my ipod that is connected via the cassette deckk, so I was wondering.....

there is a a set of wires (green, orange and black I beleive) that are plugged into my antenna motor. I was wondering if I unplug those will that stop my antenna from going up, I hate the RC Car look the antenna gives when its up even though I never use my radio. And the fact that it goes up every time I turn the radio on. I was wondering also if it will throw a code or make my radio stop playing. Or mess with anything else. I just want my antenna to stop going up and still be able to hear my cds and ipod
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will not harm anything, for what i did on my car ( did not originally come with power antenna) and i wired the antenna to a switch so if i want the antenna to go up or down all i do is flip the switch good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by enos44
it will not harm anything, for what i did on my car ( did not originally come with power antenna) and i wired the antenna to a switch so if i want the antenna to go up or down all i do is flip the switch good luck
The radio won't give me an Error will it
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

highly doubt that it will display an error... you should be just fine
Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hard to believe you don't listen to the radio sometimes....NEWS/WEATHER...???
Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Hard to believe you don't listen to the radio sometimes....NEWS/WEATHER...???
I check the weather on my phone and I get my news at home on tv, the net and the radio at my job, its a 2001 and the radio station 1-5 buttons are not even programed
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I listen to XM so I wired a switch into the pink antenna wire behind the radio to keep the antenna down. That pink wire is what tells the antenna to go up. When there is power on that line, the antenna goes up. When power is removed, the antenna goes down. If no power is applied at all, the antenna stays down. So basically the switch is wired inline with that wire to connect/disconnect it.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was unaware they still broadcasted over FM stations lol.. ive listened to the radio twice since ive owned the car. once to check the reception with the stock antenna, and 5 minutes later to check the reception with the bitviper antenna (no difference BTW)

i have an alpine 6disk that plays mp3s and a 30g ipod (its full, i really need a 60g+), the only thing good about FM radio is that i use an FM transmitter in the work truck for my ipod
Old 03-13-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

if you unplug it your radio will still work and it will not throw any codes but your reception will be **** however if your using a fm transmitter for a i pod having it down brings the i pod in better but i have mine unplugged right now because the gears are broken in it and all i get is fuzzy stations
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ilikeppie
if you unplug it your radio will still work and it will not throw any codes but your reception will be **** however if your using a fm transmitter for a i pod having it down brings the i pod in better but i have mine unplugged right now because the gears are broken in it and all i get is fuzzy stations
I did it and am very happy my car is no long an R/C car. My ipod is hooked up through a cassette player adapter since my ws6 came with a 10 disc changer in the back and cassette up front.

Did not throw any codes as you said and I love that it finally stays down.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Nice glad you got it all figured out
Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been wanting to do this as well...so I probably will now know that there is no downfalls. I only listen to CDs as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its also easy to hook up a switch to keep it down
Old 03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
its also easy to hook up a switch to keep it down
I would be open to that but where would be a good place to put it. Im tryin to keep a clean interior look and just finished up the push button start.

Also any write ups?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
The radio won't give me an Error will it
I am sorry but that is just funny to me. I have a 1997 Trans Am, and I hate the attena cus it stays up all the time. I took it off and am thinking about getting a little Viper antenna.

Honestly before you go cutting **** up, post up and see if anyone would want to trade you a solid antenna like from a 97 TA for your power antenna.

I know some people still use the antennas and want powered ones. That would be the best bet, and you can get a little cap for it of the BitViper Antenna.

I think there is a guy on here that sells those antennas.

Good luck man.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

i replaced mine with one from a Camaro. It's $7 bucks at the dealer. Take out the power antenna and install the regular one for the Camaro. The motor on mine was screwed up. After that, I screwed on a short rubber one instead of that long metal antenna the stock cars have. Looks way better.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the power antenna switch. I know there are writeups but where im not sure its fairly easy. Basically you cut a wire behidn the radio and run it in line with a swtich. Mount switch in glovebox, center counsel, ash tray, etc. If you need to knwo what color the wire is i have no problem looking it up
Old 03-15-2008, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

yea thats what i was figuring. I would imagine it would be easy and a lot less complicated than the push button start I did today!!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy hell, talk about the hard way... why don't you just unplug the antenna motor at the antenna?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
I would be open to that but where would be a good place to put it. Im tryin to keep a clean interior look and just finished up the push button start.

Also any write ups?
My earlier post:
Originally Posted by VIP1
I listen to XM so I wired a switch into the pink antenna wire behind the radio to keep the antenna down. That pink wire is what tells the antenna to go up. When there is power on that line, the antenna goes up. When power is removed, the antenna goes down. If no power is applied at all, the antenna stays down. So basically the switch is wired inline with that wire to connect/disconnect it.
I extended the wire to reach a switch mounted in my ash tray.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
As far as the power antenna switch. I know there are writeups but where im not sure its fairly easy. Basically you cut a wire behidn the radio and run it in line with a swtich. Mount switch in glovebox, center counsel, ash tray, etc. If you need to knwo what color the wire is i have no problem looking it up
Pink wire behind the radio.

Quick Reply: Antenna mod need help