Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what to expect from my CDT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what to expect from my CDT's

SO I installed my CDT replacement speakers. I got the 6.5" sail panels and door speakers with the upstage tweeters. I'm running these with the factory monsoon system. SHould I expect greatness from these? I mean, since I'm only running SVC speakers and not getting the full power of the amp, how should these sound? The reason I ask, is because I'm not very impressed. It seems the factory speakers had more thump and didn't distort like these are doing. It does make sense to me that I'm not uing enough power so if that is the reason, I'll reserve judgement until I get aftermarket components
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I'm running the CL-61CV in my doors powered by an aftermarket amp and love how they sound. I would not hesitate buying them again and I'm even thinking of upgrading to a better set of CDT's.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Perhaps part of the reason is that you put them in the sail panels as well as the doors. They work very well in the doors (at least in my car) but they aren't a good substitute for subs in the sail panels - hence the loss of bass.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need an aftermarket amp so you can run CDT crossovers. And yes, you need real subwoofers, and I highly recommend a stealthbox.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

this is what I have
Option number 2 is to replace your doors and sails with the CL-E6 midbass drivers. These again are cast frame drivers with carbon treated cones and larger magnets. They still would fit in the doors ok but would offer even more midbass from the doors which would enhance your sound and give it even more depth. With these four midbass drivers you would also need replacement tweeters. I have the Upstage-222 tweeters that are an awesome tweeter package. This would really make your sound shine!! Here's some info on the Upstage system:
http://www.cdtaudio.com/stagefront_upstage_systems.htm

I'm not looking for subwoofer like sounds, just something better than the factory, since that is the reason you upgrade.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiebutter
I'm not looking for subwoofer like sounds, just something better than the factory, since that is the reason you upgrade.
Yes, but the factory has subs in the sail panels and you replaced them with mids.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have M-6's and HD-52's in my Honda's front with about 200W going to each side and they scream... sounding good doing it. Location and power?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

yea get the bazooka's for the sail panel dude
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I gotcha, this package was designed to compliment a system with subs in the hatch. I realize that once I do that, the midbass in the sails will begin to sound correct. I have a subthump t-top box that will be installed soon, I just wanted to check with you guys about the CDT's to make sure I wasn't hearing something wrong
Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Launching!

i love my CDT's, but after my amp blew and i powered them with an aftermarket headunit, they don't sound nearly as nice. these guys are right, they need more juice from another amp.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Ok well i replaced my doors with CDT's and the sails with bazooka. Honestly unless i did something wrong, they sound like crap when turned up. I have a stock monsoon amp with an alpine HU. I thought it was because there just isnt enough power from the stock amp, but half the people who have them use the stock amp and say they sound great.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99transamws6
Ok well i replaced my doors with CDT's and the sails with bazooka. Honestly unless i did something wrong, they sound like crap when turned up. I have a stock monsoon amp with an alpine HU. I thought it was because there just isnt enough power from the stock amp, but half the people who have them use the stock amp and say they sound great.
I picked up CDT's and Bazookas for my car and I found that I had to run very different EQ and fade settings than I had in the past to get what I was after sonically. Experiment and it should improve if there isn't any other issues going on.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikey67
I picked up CDT's and Bazookas for my car and I found that I had to run very different EQ and fade settings than I had in the past to get what I was after sonically. Experiment and it should improve if there isn't any other issues going on.
Ok. messed around with the controls a bit on my alpine HU and found to get better, clearer sound when i turn my bass down to -2 and treble up to +5, but then the bass is just too low. With it turned up to +2 it, the mids and highs sound horrible.