Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Navigation VSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation VSS

I have installed most of my audio components and am focusing on my Alpine NVE-852 Nav. My nav seems to be working. My issues is that it has been working even before any attempt to plug it into the VSS. I have attached a pic of the wire and have concluded to be the VSS wire according to previous VSS threads. I have not seen any difference or change in my NAV. Like I said before I attempted to plug the VSS wire in, the NAV would give me time data, such as time to destination, trip time etc...

Have I tapped into the VSS wire?
Attached Thumbnails Navigation VSS-pic-005.jpg  
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im trying to find out where this wire is too for my nav. Anyone know?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone has to be able to help here. Please. This is the last step of my rolling "movie theater", I'd like to finish putting my car back together. =)
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The VSS wire is only used to continue navigation when a satellite signal isn't available (between large buildings, through tunnels, etc.). You normally won't notice any difference from having it connected as long as you have a good satellite signal.

On Camaros, the VSS wire is available in the head unit harness (it's there for the speed controlled volume). It's the dark green with white wire in the 10-pin white connector.

Firebirds don't have speed controlled volume so you have to get the VSS wire elsewhere. The most convenient place is behind the knee panel under the glovebox. There are two inline 10-pin connectors there - one white and one blue. The VSS wire is the dark green with white wire in one corner of the white connector.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I couldn't find that wire (dark green with white stripe) at either 10-pin connector. I found a few different shades of green, but none had a white stripe. The only green with white stripe I found was in a different smaller two-wire connector. Can you post a pic?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I didn't take pictures but I have the drawing from the service manual...

To put the drawing in perspective, the box behind the number 2 is the BCM. The red outline is the connector. It's a white 10-pin connector and the dark green with white wire is in the corner next to the alignment tab (next to a yellow with black wire). The connector beside it is similar but made of blue plastic.

The VSS wire is also available in the big 48-pin connector near the base of the steering column. It is the dark green with white wire in the top corner of the connector next to three consecutive light blue wires.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thanks. I'll take a look again later today.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I took some pics.

The first pic is a general shot looking at the wires under the glove box. The second pic is a look at the bottom of the BCM (at least I guess that is the BCM).

I don't see the connectors unless they are hidden in the loom. I squeezed the loom down the line and didn't feel any connectors in it. I pried it open in a few spots and still didn't see any connectors. Maybe I missed them. Are they hidden in the loom? If so, I'll dig into it further. The loom is on there tight and twisted which makes opening it difficult. Or could they be behind the right-side kick panel?

I did see a dark green wire with white stripe in the loom. The yellow two-wire connector also has a dark-green with white stripe wire. Is that the same wire or are there two dark-green with white wires under there? The other wire in that yellow connector is a white with black stripe wire.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation VSS-wires1.jpg   Navigation VSS-wires2.jpg  

Last edited by VIP1; 05-25-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its very easy, under the steering wheel, take out the panel and in the harness with the most wires, its the only wire that is dark green with white stripe, there is not another wire that is the same color. Worked like a charm on my new avic-f900bt that I just got