Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

XM Antenna Placement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Antenna Placement

Just picked up an XM tuner and was wondering if I could just mount the antenna up by the front of the windshield on the inside of the car on top of the dash instead of going on to the roof. Anyone have success with this?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Launching!

i have the mini antenna they give out now and i put it on the driver side pillar, i removed the plastic piece and stuck it to the metal via magnet and put the pillar back on, completely hidden and works perfectly.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will put my TA one up there. I have my Honda Civic antenna there and don't have issues. Also did my truck the same way.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by m6speed
i have the mini antenna they give out now and i put it on the driver side pillar, i removed the plastic piece and stuck it to the metal via magnet and put the pillar back on, completely hidden and works perfectly.
Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? I have an idea...but a picture would be awesome!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Launching!

sorry, no pic, but its very simple, pull off the driver side ttop, take out the 2 screws in the A pillar, pull it out, run the antenna wire up the pillar and stick the antenna to the body, put the pillar piece back in and you're done.

here is something i found on the net, i photoshopped to add in my horrid illustration lol
Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Really .. wow , it gets a good signal ? When i had mine hidden like that . (Sirius) it never would get a good signal .. but ill have to try that ...
Old 05-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Another option is to put it under the dash panel on one of the metal plates there. That way it is horizontal for best reception and has the metal plate for a ground plane. I posted a photo in another thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/894270-new-stealth-satellite-antenna-location.html.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My XM antenna is hidden in the hatch itself:
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

I have Sirius, but I would assume it's all about the same. I have my Sirius antenna inside the car on the windshield. I stuck my front license plate between the windshield and dash on the far right side and then stuck the magnetic antenna on top of the license plate. Works well for me and I've had very few signal problems.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Another option is to put it under the dash panel on one of the metal plates there. That way it is horizontal for best reception and has the metal plate for a ground plane. I posted a photo in another thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894270.
This is a cool option! It makes good sense as the magnetic antenna has a nice ground plane under the dash pad and a huge view of the sky. I have my XM antenna on top of my dash pad now with a 6" diameter piece of steel stuck underneath the pad, but I plan to relocate mine the next time I have the pad off.

Quick Reply: XM Antenna Placement